PS4 Will 'Out-Power Most PCs for Years to Come', Says Just Cause Developer

Avalanche Studios particularly impressed with Sony's next generation hardware

Linus Blomberg, a leading technical officer at Just Cause 2 developer Avalanche Studios, is seriously excited for the PlayStation 4. In an interview with GamingBolt, the employee praised the platform’s developer-friendly environment and the vision behind the console’s business model. He also had a few choice words reserved for the system’s surprise inclusion of 8GB RAM.

“The consoles desperately need a boost since having been overtaken in terms of performance by PCs several years ago, and also losing market share to mobile platforms,” he said. “I’m glad Sony decided to go with 8GB RAM because it means that the PS4 will out-power most PCs for years to come.”

Blomberg’s presumably not talking about dedicated gaming rigs, but more average consumer-level machines. Regardless, he seemed particularly impressed with the system's underlying philosophy. “The PS4 will not only be a very powerful gaming machine from a hardware perspective, but it will also be a social tool and integrated marketplace more akin to the successful mobile devices,” he continued. “It’s the best of all worlds in a way; great performance for demanding high-end gaming, good social ecosystem and connectivity, and integrated business marketplace.”

He concluded: “For Avalanche Studios, as an open world games developer, this is super exciting and opens up many new opportunities. It’s a perfect fit for the types of games we do, and we are confident that we’ll bring open world gaming to a whole new level because of it.”

The Swedish studio is currently rumoured to be working on Just Cause 3 and a Mad Max game. It recently hinted that one of the two would be announced at E3 – presumably for the PS4. Do you agree with the developer’s thoughts on Sony's next generation system? Let us know in the comments section below.

[via gamingbolt.com]

rjejr

rjejr said:

Before everybody starts going all - "my homemade PC blows the PS4 out of the water NOW" - please keep in mind most people don't build their own machines, and a lot of machines are probably over 5 years old and still running Win XP thanks to the recession. Or maybe 2 or 3 years old running 7.

Keyword - "most".

@rjejr Spot on. He's talking about average PCs here, and he's right. In fact, my PS3 is probably more powerful than my current PC. ;)

hydeks

hydeks said:

I gotta Intel i3 Dual Core with 4gb ram, so PS4 kicks my butt for sure, not to sure about PS3 though. All this praise is great, but it really makes me worry about the cost of this system.

AceSpadeS

AceSpadeS said:

I don't doubt that the PS4 will out power most PCs not intended for gaming for years to come, but any PC intended for medium to heavy gaming, even a prebuilt, will outdo the PS4 any day. (Posted from my 3.4ghz/quad, 12gig ram, and GTX 660 Ti PC)

Edit: Also, 8 gigs of RAM is pretty common even in the laptop space now.

Savino

Savino said:

Even with my monster pc (I work with 3D modeling) I believe that the ps4 willbeat it thanks to the OS!
I got an I7@3.4ghz, 16gb ram and two 7970.

Bt when I saw Deep Down I was sure that there's no way to play this on a windows system!!!! Not at all!!!

hamispink

hamispink said:

The difference between PC and console is that a consoles games are specifically designed to work with that one type of hardware. It will take a PC with a significant boost in processing power to play games that look the same. That has always been the case with consoles.

LDXD

LDXD said:

Gaming pc's no way never will happen ever unless there's a console you can constantly upgrade.

@Savino I'm pretty sure your setup can run deep down I'll be very surprised if it couldn't

devperson

devperson said:

@GetUsum03 Why exactly would you want this out of interest? For flash games or playing videos through the browser? The latter reason shouldn't be an issue soon with HTML5 video becoming more widely used.

charlesnarles

charlesnarles said:

I'm considering replacing my laptop (hp dv7 4gbRAM GeForce 9200gs running Vista lol) but its gonna be 3 grand for a really good one for games. 400 is a lot better than 3000...

Cirno

Cirno said:

I'm not a PC gamer (in fact they have an AWFUL fanbase) but eh, not really imo.

NathanUC

NathanUC said:

Even gaming PCs. PS4 will greatly overshadow them for a while. You cannot compare stats. Take a look at the graphics on PS3 and the stats of the PS3. If it were a computer, it could hardly run Windows XP.

Reverend_Skeeve

Reverend_Skeeve said:

I'm so looking forward to what those guys will bring out on the PS4...I pumped about 140 hours in Just Cause 2 and I didn't even finish the story yet...
From what I know until now, the PS4 seems to be a beast. Sure, a dedicated gaming PC will blow it out of the water in no time, specs-wise, but as hamispink pointed out, you can't just compare raw specs between consoles and PCs, since console games are optimized for one particular hardware whereas PC developers have to take into account lots of different configurations, which makes optimization harder.

The first PS4 trailers look great, period. Considered that those demos prob. ran on just 4GB RAM and also that a few years into a systems life, the games tend to look much better than at launch, I'm not worried about PS4 being to weak to satisfy my graphics-craving for years to come.