God of War: Ascension's 'Trial of Archimedes' Will No Longer Make You Curse

Sony drops controversial patch for killer chapter

Your expensive DualShock 3 is saved. Sony has announced that it has deployed a brand new patch for God of War: Ascension, which will tone down the title’s agonisingly tough ‘Trial of Archimedes’ difficulty spike. Writing on the PlayStation Blog, community strategist Aaron Kaufman revealed that Kratos will now receive a “measured amount” of green and blue orbs between enemy waves across all difficulty levels, making the challenge that little bit more manageable.

"In every God of War game, establishing a well-paced difficulty ramp towards the end of the game is paramount to us," he said. "Based on player response, the degree of challenge offered here was short of our goal of being perfectly balanced."

The update also adds some new visual customisation options to the multiplayer component named ‘Marks’, as well as a handful of fresh colour tints. Unfortunately, the developer is still exploring the title’s audio issues, but it promises that it’s working as quickly as possible to find a solution. You can find out more about the update through here.

[via blog.us.playstation.com]

JayArr

JayArr said:

Pathetic. Lord forbid you actually have to have skill to complete a game.

RawShark

RawShark said:

To be honest I'm regretting starting the game in Hard mode. It's not even like I'm getting anything extra out of it - I just find getting bummed over the minute you take one hit frustrating more than anything else. Especially when the camera decides it wants to fix itself a half mile off from the action and you can't even make Kratos out from the other buggers that are swarming you. Yeah... I'm not as hardcore as I used to be, clearly.

Kayoss

Kayoss said:

I beat this game on hard mode the first time i played it. It took two tries to beat Trial of Archimedes. It was hard but if you're very good at evading, you shouldnt have a problem. Well thats my opinion. I think the Key is to isolate certain enemies from the group and use grab technique a lot. I just remember evading, using the distance grab technique, ground combo, toss in the air, and air combo. Rinse and repeat until the enemie die. But of course for the larger enemie where you cant grab and air combo, I isolate, evade, attack, evade, attack. I think the other thing that i did was, i remember the enemies attack patterns.

Svengoolie

Svengoolie said:

Wow. What a joke. It's not even that difficult. It's the final level and requires you to use your items and learn how to play correctly. We've now gotten to the point where it's considered offensive to not let people who are bad at the game finish it. Every kid needs their trophy! It's so pathetic.

BornOfEvil

BornOfEvil said:

So now whenever people whine about something being "too hard", developers have to ruin the game for the rest of us? Disgraceful.

ShogunRokAdmin

ShogunRok said:

Nothing wrong with making a game easier, not everyone is a good gamer. Besides, you can't really defend this - it's bad game design to have something so hard pop up and completely stop people's progression. That said, there may have been a better way to implement this.

Still though, you clearly can't please everyone. Especially on the internet.

Svengoolie

Svengoolie said:

@ShogunRok Back in my day, if you weren't good enough to beat a game, you went to an easier difficulty level or you just didn't beat it. Buying a game isn't some kind of contract that guarantees you'll be able to finish it.

ShogunRokAdmin

ShogunRok said:

@Svengoolie No game should present such a huge spike in difficulty at one specific point - it's just bad design. And this was on normal difficulty for many.

I don't see a problem with games providing difficulty options that appeal to everyone.

Svengoolie

Svengoolie said:

@ShogunRok It's on Normal, so they could switch to Easy. It's not a huge difficulty spike. They just expect you to use the L2 items, which is apparently too much for some people. I died twice when I did it, but cleared it really easily the third time. It was not poor game design. Now from the sounds of it, there'll be green and blue orbs all over the place so you'll have full health the whole time.

ShogunRokAdmin

ShogunRok said:

@Svengoolie But the amount of complaints say otherwise. People clearly had trouble with this when they were perfectly fine with everything that came before it.

Also, you can't switch the difficulty during the game. You'd have to start over to play on easy. That seems rather unforgiving.

FullbringIchigo

FullbringIchigo said:

wait there was audio issues...where i never had a problem

also trial of archimedes was a pain in the b*** but i still got through it i'm going to have to play again to see how much easier it is

NAZA1999

NAZA1999 said:

This is the 1st an worst Kratos EVA he can't evade properly blocking is sometimes crap the sound is crappy hard is really hard this my last copy I buy of Kratos again il jus borrow the game from my friends from now on words an the patch that they made now needs to be patched again cause those Santa Monica guys are perthetic an not forgetting the online since I had the game I can't go online thanks Santa Monica u guys know what u are doing 💥🔫 ✌

NAZA1999

NAZA1999 said:

i take my words back finally finish it on hard but dam it was hard very good game gonna try it on super duper hard now