Analyst: PlayStation 4 Reveal Lacked Exclusives

Pundit believes that the platform holder failed to bring the goods

The response to Sony’s big PlayStation 4 coming out party has been generally positive on this website, but industry analyst Eric Handler has suggested that the reception was more “mixed” in mainstream circles. Speaking with NowGamer, the MKM Partners employee insinuated that the manufacturer failed to show enough exclusive content to give it an advantage in the next generation console war.

“I think Sony has created some excitement in that it beat Microsoft to the market with news about a new console for this holiday season,” he said. “The reaction has been somewhat mixed and we are still lacking a lot of key information.”

Handler pointed to the price and software as key missing details. “Last cycle Sony really hurt itself with its $599 US launch price,” he continued. “Even though it had the most powerful system, consumers weren't interested at that price point, especially considering the system lacked sufficient exclusive titles to win back market share from Microsoft.”

He concluded: “I didn't think the Sony press conference showed enough exclusives to give themselves that big of a leg up at this point in time.”

During its event, the platform holder announced Killzone: Shadow Fall, DriveClub, inFamous: Second Son, and Knack as exclusive titles for the PS4. It also revealed partnerships with Jonathan Blow on The Witness and Activision on Destiny. That was in addition to the confirmation that every major Sony-owned studio is currently working on titles for the next generation machine.

Do you agree with Handler that the manufacturer failed to show a decent offering of exclusive content for its upcoming console? Let us know in the comments section below.

[via nowgamer.com]

Cirno

Cirno said:

Pretty Much. Needs more good games. The only interesting ones are Knack and inFamous: Second Son.

@Magolor I don't know, I think Killzone and DriveClub will be big too. Obviously they depend on you being a fan of both genres. But I'm sure both games will sell extremely well.

3Above

3Above said:

I think what they showed was fine considering its not E3. I can help wondering if he would have made the same comments had MS gone first. Its just not wise to show too much too early. They did well by showing a few games, from different genres to get get people excited early without showing all their cards 4 months before E3. He's just nit picking IMO.

Paranoimia

Paranoimia said:

They showed nothing but exclusives. Besides, it was a console spec/feature reveal, not a games reveal.

Why would they divulge everything there, leaving nothing for Gamescom, E3, TGS etc.?

Sounds like the purpose of the event passed him by. Some analyst!

BornOfEvil

BornOfEvil said:

I disagree. Sony showed just enough to keep people talking up until E3, where they will more than likely steal the show.

Jaz007

Jaz007 said:

I think they revealed enough exclusives. They will reveal more later on. Plus if Microsoft hasn't started developing a of exclusive franchises all of a sudden they will the amount franchises Sony just revealed for the next two years. They also just used up Halo and Gears so that puts them in a funny position.

If every team is working on new games, then they must have heaps in the pipeline. I think they've probably learned from Vita to stagger the content, though. I wouldn't be surprised if we see Uncharted 4 at E3.

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

I'm sure Sony still has plenty up their sleeves, its way too early yet to reveal too much. They had enough to give people a small taste of things to come nd get them interested.

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

Killzone and inFamous are two big exclusive franchises I don't really know what people wanted out of a first show, it was better than any of the absolutely awful Wii U conferences.

ShogunRokAdmin

ShogunRok said:

People will never be happy. The problem here is a lot of people saying 'it doesn't have games' when they should be saying 'it doesn't have games I like'.

charlesnarles

charlesnarles said:

They gave right around no specifics throughout the whole thing, so idk why you'd expect ...any specifics.

rjejr

rjejr said:

I think Eric Handler just said whatever he thought would garner the most attention so he could become the next Pachter. Why you would want to become somebody who is always wrong all the time I don't know but I guess that's the way egos work and why there are so many Rush Limbaugh wannabees.