What Does Uncharted's Tenzin Have in Common with The Last of Us' Ellie?

Connected over a curry

Tenzin was one of the more interesting characters from Uncharted 2: Among Thieves. The Tibetan explorer couldn't speak a word of English, making his relationship with protagonist Nathan Drake pretty unique. However, according to an excellent feature on GameSpot, the character was originally conceived as a mute female, who would form a bond with the rugged adventurer throughout the course of the campaign.

"The girl would wake you up in the middle of the night and gesture for you to follow her," creative director Neil Druckmann told the website. "She'd lead you up to this rooftop and point to the horizon, and you'd see the sun just coming up over the village, one beautiful moment against a backdrop of violence and war."

The character wasn’t to be, but Naughty Dog never gave up on the idea. When the studio splintered into two teams, the new group immediately started work on a new Jak & Daxter game, but the concept was trashed. Instead, Druckmann and his partner in crime, game director Bruce Straley, returned to the mute girl idea, and created The Last of Us' Joel and Ellie as a result.

There’s tons more about the development of the post-apocalyptic exclusive – including some snippets about the world itself – over on GameSpot. You could do worse things with your Saturday than read the whole thing.

[via us.gamespot.com]

BornOfEvil

BornOfEvil said:

So they were planning a Jake 4. Sucks that we won't be seeing it, but The Last of Us will make up for it.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

I'm with you, Sammy. I still like the first one, but I didn't even bother to finish 2 on the collection, never mind play 3. I have no problem with Naughty Dog moving on to bigger and better things.

JayArr

JayArr said:

Garrus from Mass Effect is the only bro who can out bro the broness that was Tenzen. Tenzen was such a bro though, he'll live in my heart forever.

3Above

3Above said:

I think alot of PS fans have grown up and now games like Sly, Jak and even Rachet & Clank dont appeal to them as much as Uncharted, inFamous, and Resistance. Except for nostalgia. I dont mind the devs moving away from those IPs for a while, but not forever. After all, Nintendo has built entire consoles off of nostalgia alone so it obviously has its place. I will be buying Sly 4 next week though.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

Oh, I think Ratchet and Sly are both still great. It's just Jak that hasn't aged well, IMO. Mostly because of the OBSCENELY hard challenges needed for legitimate 100% completion. If you can earn all the orbs in Jak 2 without cheating, you're a gaming god.

NathanUC

NathanUC said:

I liked Jak 1 (the only one I've played) A LOT more than Sly 1 or 2 personally.