Square Enix Strings Up Stunning Tomb Raider Footage

Posted by Katy Ellis

Survival instincts

Square Enix has released a brand new 11 minute gameplay video of Tomb Raider, complete with walkthrough narration from Noah Hughes, the title's creative director. The video – entitled 'Monastery Escape' – shows protagonist Lara Croft using the world to her advantage, as she stealthily snares enemies on her way across the map to a shanty town.

You can very much see the emphasis on survival in this video, as Lara's abilities weaken with damage. Unlike other action-adventure games, Hughes points out the importance of taking cover, watching AI enemies closely, and listening to what they have to say in order to decide upon the best actions.

Let us know what you make of the video in the comments section below.

[via youtube.com]

This looks gorgeous. I'm suffering from serious Uncharted withdrawal symptoms, so will lap this up.

ShogunRokAdmin

ShogunRok said:

I'm overly negative on this I'm afraid. To me it's just a poor man's Uncharted in almost every possible way. I hope the actual game proves me wrong.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Anybody remember when Starfox Adventures came out and everybody hated it b/c it was a really bad Starfox game? Well it's 1 of my favorite games, probably b/c I had never played a Starfox game before and had no idea who Starfox was.

I've never liked a Tomb Raider game, but I'm still excited for this one. I only wish Claudia Black was doing the voice, would have made it that much easier to play this as Chloe's back story rather than Lara Crofts'.

OK, guess I'll live without CB on this 1 (my apologies for the black bars):

I don't see this as a "poor man's Uncharted" - it looks a lot better than the first Uncharted to me. Honestly I didn't even like Uncharted, I just forced myself to play thru it to get to 2, which is as close to video game as action movie perfection as is humanly possible. 3 had a really lame first half, and the 2nd half wasn't quite good enough to make it overall better than 2. This may be more Uncharted than TR, I just wouldn't call it "poor".

ShogunRokAdmin

ShogunRok said:

@rjejr I meant 'Uncharted' as a whole - not just the first game. Uncharted obviously took a lot of cues from movies and of course the original Tomb Raider games, but to see the Tomb Raider franchise now copying the game that copied itself is a bit sad.

ThreadShadow

ThreadShadow said:

So basically this is Tomb of War? I'm afraid this isn't the Tomb Raider we're looking for.

dravenmilten

dravenmilten said:

i grew up playing Tomb Raider...i got in trouble many times because i traded sleep for a playstation controller...Tomb Raider has definitely held on with a lot of my childhood memories. and now that the new one is three weeks away i'm preparing for the day to pick it up...
#RaiderForLife

FullbringIchigo

FullbringIchigo said:

looks really good i'm so going to get this at some point but not day one i'm getting Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm 3 instead