Rumour: PS4's Controller Will Sport Improved Triggers

Get a grip

The PlayStation 4’s controller will maintain the same general shape and style as the existing DualShock 3, but will boast a number of improvements according to a report on VG247. The publication states that the peripheral will include a touchpad on the front of the unit. The ‘Start’ and ‘Select’ buttons have apparently been moved as a result.

The site adds that the device’s maligned L2 and R2 triggers have been “remodelled for the better”, but it’s unclear what shape they will adopt. However, it continued that it has no knowledge of a ‘Share’ button, which has been one of the unit’s most consistent rumours over the past few weeks. Previous reports suggested that the added input would allow you to capture and edit gameplay footage on the fly.

All will be revealed during Sony’s widely publicised PlayStation Meeting on 20th February. What changes would you like to see made to the current controller? Let us know in the comments section below.

[via vg247.com]

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

Hopefully it really is close to the existing dualshock design. Just a few more days until we find out.

KALofKRYPTON

KALofKRYPTON said:

I don't really want it changing other than the triggers, which are easily fixed with Giotek's clip on ones.

Epic

Epic said:

Please don't make to much changes in the controller is my 2nd favorite controller the 1st one being the Gamecube controller. T_T

Snorky

Snorky said:

haha I'm honestly surprised that there are people who actually liked the GC controller :)

thekro16

thekro16 said:

I think the shape should stay the same ultimately while some minor changes need to be made. A touch screen would be nice as well as a share button but not if that's going to make the price of the controller skyrocket. Also, the R2 and L2 buttons need to be made into triggers rather than buttons. I hate playing shooters and having to press buttons over triggers.

Jaz007

Jaz007 said:

This seem like a pretty nice evolution for the dualshock 4. The next question will be how Wii U inspired will the touchpad be. Nintendo people will scream copy but I'm not so sure of that because the Playstation Move is not a copy of the Wii despite popular belief.

@thekro16 I prefer the buttons. Out of interest, how many of you people play games with your index fingers on L1/R1 and middle fingers on L2/R2. I find that so many people that complain about the DualShock only use their index fingers.

Jaz007

Jaz007 said:

I also hope that motion sensors in the dualshock are kept. They are used to fantastic effect in Uncharted's grenade throwing.

KALofKRYPTON

KALofKRYPTON said:

@get2sammyb

It very much depends on the game and button assignments.

I just don't like L2 and R2 without the Giotek triggers, been using them so long...

That said, I'd like L2 and R2 changed to be shaped more like the clip on triggers, none of this 360 style business!

FullbringIchigo

FullbringIchigo said:

outward curving L2 and R2 buttons and the DS3 would be perfect it doesn't need anything else, no reshaping no touch pad just outward curved L2 & R2 bittons

and don't copy the 360 pad i hate that thing

@get2sammyb it depends on what game i'm playing if i need quick access to both sets of buttons i use two fingers if i don't i just use my index finger

tweet75

tweet75 said:

The controler shape is traditon for playstation its the main reason i prefer playstation over xbox never been as comfy with xbox controller

irken004

irken004 said:

As long as they improve durability on the joysticks, I'd be set. They seem to wear down much more easily than the PS2 controller.

charlesnarles

charlesnarles said:

@get2sammyb I've never used my middle fingers for R2/L2. If I hold the controller like that then I hit those buttons with my fingers' middle digits, which just feels awkward. My cousin would lay them flat on the floor to be comfy playing, so it really depends on your size.
Dig the touchpad, I'm glad it seems to be true.