Rumour: Killzone 4 Targeting PlayStation 4 in 2013

Vekta of the Gods

We always assumed that Guerrilla Games’ in-development fantasy title would debut alongside the PlayStation 4, but it looks like the company could be readying Killzone 4 instead. VideoGamer.com reports that the Dutch developer is currently applying the finishing touches to the next-generation first-person shooter, which could debut during the platform holder’s PlayStation Meeting on 20th February.

As the publication rightly points out, Sony has a habit of announcing Killzone titles alongside new consoles. The second game’s target trailer was the subject of much discussion in 2005, while the manufacturer also confirmed Killzone: Mercenary was in development back when it first revealed the PlayStation Vita.

The handheld spin-off’s finally due out on 17th September, which makes us doubt the website’s assertion that Killzone 4 will release this year. We can’t imagine that the publisher would launch two entries in the franchise in such a short span of time. Still, we’ll find out more in less than two weeks. Let us know your thoughts in the comments section below.

[via videogamer.com]

ShogunRokAdmin

ShogunRok said:

Sounds likely. Having Killzone standing by on a new console is almost a no-brainer in a lot of respects. The one thing I ask for with the next Killzone though: let us play as the Helghast. I'm begging on my knees here.

BornOfEvil

BornOfEvil said:

If this is true, then i'm definitely getting a PS4 early on. I've loved every Killzone, except for the one on PSP, but that's only because I haven't played it. All I ask is that we get toplay as the Helghans. Please, I want to spill the blood of the insidious ISA, not the Helghans.

Agree with the Helghast suggestions. I just hope that they've hired a decent writer for this one. The Killzone universe promises so much narratively, but they squander it on the terrible characters.

The series is literally on the cusp of brilliance. It has incredible art work, fantastic gunplay, and an awesome universe. They just need to nail the story aspect.

hamispink

hamispink said:

I think this is pretty likely, during an interview on the playstation blogcast yesterday, the lead designer for Killzone: Mercenary (who was also lead designer on Killzone 2,3, and liberation if i'm not mistaken) stated that the other Killzone games were made on a two year development cycle(development of the killzone engine not included) which would put Killzone 4 right on pace for a release in 2013 after Killzone 3's February 2011 launch.

BornOfEvil

BornOfEvil said:

@get2sammyb I've been saying that for years. The story behind Killzone is fantastic, but for some reason, the developers can't seem to make that shine through in the games.

Squiggle55

Squiggle55 said:

It seems silly to release killzone 4 this year. Even I might pass on the vita killzone and its 8 player multiplayer if they do that. And I love my vita. Think of the people they're trying to convince to buy a vita.

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

Uncharted 3 and Golden Abyss were only a few months apart so I wouldn't totally rule out a release for this alongside the console day one. Regardless whenever the game is announced I plan to pre-order, would love to have it be the first PS4 game I play.

irken004

irken004 said:

Killzone 4 on PS4 in 2014 sounds more likely, though it'll probably be announced in 2013 at least.

BornOfEvil

BornOfEvil said:

@AceSpadeS That would require me to buy a PSP, and I'm already having enough trouble saving up for a Vita and Playstation Pulse Elite headset.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Having KZ4 as a launch title would work with the idea of a PS Eye in every PS4 box. I've always thought the "Move" worked better as the "Point". I bet Sony sold alot more of those plastic guns than they did that horrible horrible steering wheel.

So yeah, if they want to promote the Eye, do so with a shooter.

BornOfEvil

BornOfEvil said:

@irken004 That's good to know, thanks. When I finally get my Vita, I can occupy myself with Liberation while waiting for Mercenary.