Insert Coins into the PlayStation Home Arcade App This Week

Retro games on the go

As spotted late last year, a new application is heading to the PlayStation Vita that will allow you to take your PlayStation Home arcade cabinets out and about with you. The free download – set to release in both Europe and North America this week – features full cross-buy compatibility, meaning that any titles you’ve already purchased will be automatically playable on the handheld and vice versa.

The initial roster of games includes classics such as Frogger, Centipede, and Asteroids. Each mini-game will cost you £0.79/$1.49. WipEout 2D, Ice Breaker, and a demo for Scribble Shooter will be included for free. Presumably, the application's library will grow as new content is added to PlayStation Home. There’s a trailer embedded in the space below. Let us know if this is something that you’re interested in via the comments section.

[via blog.eu.playstation.com, blog.us.playstation.com]

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

I didn't even know Home arcade was a thing. :P

If they made it what Microsoft's Game Room was SUPPOSED to be, only better, I might be interested. But there's nothing here to interest me at the moment.

divinelite

divinelite said:

I just want Home itself... With avatar like MS

Sony avatar is non like able and mii character is so simple, I like MS avatar best

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

I downloaded the app, it's a neat idea but we'll see how it plays out.

craigun

craigun said:

Where in PS home for the PS3 do we find the arcade? And yes, I hope this becomes what Microsoft's Game Room was supposed to be as well!!

ThreadShadow

ThreadShadow said:

Free is nice, and I appreciate it, but I was a little underwhelmed. Oh no, I thought, not another Breakout game!!! I've never been comfortable with Wipeout games be they 3D or 2D. Scribble Shooter was amusing.

So anyway, what category does this fall under? Minis, Mobile, PSN, or is it yet another outlet for little games?