Legendary Rare Developer Switches Xbox for PlayStation

Flying the first-party flag

You may not have heard of George Andreas, but you will almost certainly have played one of his games. The former Rare employee worked on a wealth of classics during his 16 year tenure at the UK studio, including Banjo-Kazooie, Donkey Kong 64, and even GoldenEye 007. But, after playing a pivotal role in the production of Kinect Sports and Kinect Sports: Season 2, the developer has decided to replace the green of Xbox for the blue of PlayStation.

According to Eurogamer.net, Andreas started work at Sony’s longstanding London office earlier this month, taking the role of creative director. It’s unclear what the luminary’s working on, but we’d bet the bank on it being for the PlayStation 4. Maybe it’s time to bring back The Getaway 3.

[via eurogamer.net, polygon.com]

ThreadShadow

ThreadShadow said:

I think that's Bill Trinen from Nintendo on the right. I wonder if good ol' Ken Lobb is still happy working for MS...

BornOfEvil

BornOfEvil said:

Don't let fanboys get wind of this. If they hear that the legendary George Andreas left Xbox for Playstation, the biggest console war of all time shall fall upon us.

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

Don't blame him, I can't say for sure but I'd bet somebody with those credentials was beyond sick of working with the piece of crap Kinect.

Ginkgo

Ginkgo said:

@Gamer83 : I don't know. I can imagine that he is now working on Sony's Kinect improvement (rip-off) for the PS4. Tell me I'm wrong.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

@ThreadShadow: No, it's definitely not. Doesn't even look like him, plus there's just no reason he would pose for a picture in front of a Kinect Sports: Season Two sign like that. :P

@Ginkgo: You probably are wrong, though. This man is respected for his work on real games, not Kinect trash. It seems far more likely to me that he got sick of Kinect and got a new job with a company that actually respects his talents.

Sanquine

Sanquine said:

Please give us games like Conker live and reloaded:D or just a new banjoo

ThreadShadow

ThreadShadow said:

@Stuffgamer1 Are you sure? Hmm,, maybe...
To me it kinda looks like an E3 picture and I can imagine Bill Trinen trying out the competitions games, and having his picture taken with an old friend. Since Andreas worked for old Rare on N64 games, I can imagine a possible friendship, so even if the guy works for the enemy Bill would have his picture taken with Andreas.
Of course, that all depends on it actually being Trinen, which as you state may not be him. Hmm...probably isn't him. Maybe it's someone from NintendoLife or PushSquare?

I can imagine the guy being tired of Kinect, joins Sony, Sony puts the EyeToy in front of him smiling expectantly!

charlesnarles

charlesnarles said:

Welly welly welly well, then! I'm excited to see the possibility for PS4 to be as much of an improvement over the previous model as the step was from SNES to N64. Cool dude!

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

@Ginkgo

You might be right but if you ask me, it'd be kind of pointless for this guy (given his track record prior to Kinect) to leave MS for Sony just to keep working on the same kind of Kinect-style trash.

BornOfEvil

BornOfEvil said:

@Ginkgo Don't you mean PlayStations EyeToy improvement? But that's not important. He probably got tired of watching his creations go unused, and decided to switch teams.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

@Sanquine: You do realize that this man doesn't own the rights to those franchises, right? Microsoft still does, though I can't see them making much use of them at this point.