We don’t know why Chart-Track even bothers to hire statisticians to uncover the annual best selling game in the UK. Everyone knows it’s going to be Call of Duty or FIFA anyway, so what’s the point? We suppose it gives us something to pad out an otherwise slow Saturday afternoon – seriously, the alternative to this story was a piece about Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 3. We digress.
Despite launching late in the year, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 was the UK's best selling game of 2012. It managed to beat out FIFA 13, which finished in second, as well as Assassin’s Creed III, Hitman: Absolution, and Far Cry 3. Impressively, last year’s FIFA 12 climbed into eighth, while Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 landed in 18th. Sleeping Dogs rounded out the list in 20th.
We’ve embedded the full rundown below. Which titles did you purchase in 2012? Let us know in the comments section.
Top 20 Games of 2012 in the UK
1. Call of Duty: Black Ops II - Activision
2. FIFA 13 - Electronic Arts
3. Assassin's Creed III - Ubisoft
4. Halo 4 - Microsoft
5. Hitman: Absolution - Square Enix
6. Just Dance 4 - Ubisoft
7. Far Cry 3 - Ubisoft
8. FIFA 12 - Electronic Arts
9. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Bethesda
10. Borderlands 2 - 2K Games
11. Mass Effect 3 - Electronic Arts
12. LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes - Warner Bros
13. Need for Speed: Most Wanted - Electronic Arts
14. FIFA Street - Electronic Arts
15. Mario & Sonic: London 2012 Olympic Games
16. Skylanders Giants - Activision
17. Battlefield 3 - Electronic Arts
18. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 - Activision
19. Max Payne 3 - Rockstar
20. Sleeping Dogs - Square Enix