The Last of Us Will Feature Multiplayer, Here's Its Box Art

Together in the dark

If this weekend’s incredible The Last of Us story trailer wasn’t enough to send you into a post-apocalyptic frenzy, developer Naughty Dog’s revealed a little more about the upcoming survival horror title. Posting on the PlayStation Blog, community strategist Arne Meyer not only confirmed the release's box art – but also teased that the adventure will boast some form of multiplayer component.

The cover itself shows protagonists Joel and Ellie wandering through a swamp-like environment. It’s interesting that the image leads with the teenage heroine – it would have been easy to shove her into the background in order to ensure some impulse purchases from mainstream gamers. Clearly, Sony wants consumers to know that this is a different kind of experience from the outset.

As previously reported, the game is due out on 7th May in both North America and Europe. Pre-ordering at participating retailers will reward you with the ‘Sights and Sounds Pack’, which includes the title’s official soundtrack, a dynamic XMB theme, and two PSN avatars. Meanwhile, at GameStop you’ll also secure the ‘Survival Pack’, which boasts bonus experience points for multiplayer, a melee attack booster, additional in-game cash, customisable character items, and two bonus skins for Joel and Ellie.

“Multiplayer?” Meyer wrote on the PlayStation Blog. “Exactly, we haven’t talked much about multiplayer other than confirming that we’ll be working to include it in The Last of Us. We’re not quite ready to talk about it yet, but stay tuned as we’ll be revealing more details on multiplayer before The Last of Us is released on 7th May 2013.”

We’ve embedded the title’s latest trailer in the space below. Feel free to share your excitement in the comments section.

[via blog.us.playstation.com, blog.eu.playstation.com]

Not sure how I feel about multiplayer, but I trust Naughty Dog to do something different. The game looks absolutely incredible, though.

Sanquine

Sanquine said:

@get2sammyb Humans vs fungus people? I hope a gaint co op / objective gameplay. But you have to keep the fungus people away:P and the survivors.

Like killzone 3 with operations mode

tulaib_100

tulaib_100 said:

i seriously can't wait any more for TLOU and also beyond two souls did i mention about god of war ascension. OMG i cant wait for 2013 also ni no kuni is a must buy after playing the demo and theres sly cooper aswell so much to look forward to and than theirs E3 cant wait for ps4 reveal ..... lets see what gureilla games were up to

Splat

Splat said:

Multiplayer is so not needed... It wasn't needed on Uncharted either.

ShogunRokAdmin

ShogunRok said:

@Splat I couldn't agree more. I liked the co-op in Uncharted 2 and 3, but the multiplayer just didn't keep my attention - although it didn't feel tacked on, which is a good sign.

I hope Naughty Dog come up with something original with The Last of Us.

@Splat I agree. Having said that, Naughty Dog have proven that they're totally capable of creating amazing single-player campaigns in addition to multiplayer modes, so I'm not really bothered about its inclusion.

Splat

Splat said:

@get2sammyb - True it doesn't seem to take away from the SP like it would with some games when it comes to Naughty Dog. That said if multiplayer is why the game isn't come out till May then I would rather get it sooner and not have multiplayer. :)

Azikira

Azikira said:

I honestly like any form of Cooperative multiplayer functions, but the versus I can agree seems unnecessary. I can't wait to beat down some clickers though~

turtlelink

turtlelink said:

This game looks gorgeous. I need to preorder.

Oh yea, and Uncharted co-op was fun, but VS was boring.

Kage_88

Kage_88 said:

Normally, I would slam a developer for adding tacked-on mulitplayer...but Naugty Dog are great developers, so I won't stress about it too much.

As long as it doesn't detract from the single-player game, it's all good. I love the Uncharted games, but I've never touched the multi-player - which has thankfully not affected my experience with the series at all. Compare them to something like Halo; where it feels as though you're only getting half the game if you're only in it for the story campaign (which I was - Halo 4 in particular was really cruddy in this regard).