LittleBigPlanet 2 Does Its Best Wii U Impression Next Week

Anything you can do

LittleBigPlanet 2 will be the first title to demonstrate the PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita’s in-game connectivity next week, when the platformer is augmented with its hotly anticipated cross-controller expansion pack.

The add-on will essentially mimic the gameplay ideas explored with Nintendo’s Wii U console, allowing you to use the PlayStation Vita’s front and rear touch screens in order to interact with the PlayStation 3 game. Even better, it will add a second screen to the action, providing some unique gameplay opportunities.

Purchasing the DLC – which will set you back €4.99/$4.99 – will not only unlock a brand new mini-campaign for you to enjoy in single-player or co-op, but will also supply you with all of the tools required to create your own cross-controller LittleBigPlanet levels. We assume there’ll be a fresh batch of Trophies, stickers, and costumes to sweeten the deal too.

The content’s due out on 18th December in North America, and 19th December in Europe. We’re eager to see how well the functionality works.

[via blog.eu.playstation.com, blog.us.playstation.com]

In before: "Sony copying Nintendo again".

I'm really looking forward to this — if only because it means more LittleBigPlanet 2 levels. That's never, ever a bad thing in my book.

Squiggle55

Squiggle55 said:

I am very excited about this. I don't mind Sony copying Nintendo at all. It's smart business, and in the end everybody wins.

Confused_DudeStaff

Confused_Dude said:

Do you know if this requires you to own a copy of Little Big Planet Vita? That'd be a mighty shame...

Savino

Savino said:

As a Wii U owner I am really looking forward to this!!!
I can really see a lt of potencial here, a lot more than the wii u, since vita has its on processor.

But, I think we may expect no online at all! Wii u has a second ethernet chip for comunication with the gamepad only, so it can send images and recieve inputs while surf through the internet flawlessly.

Ps3 uses the regular wifi band to talk to vita and streaming images and inptus is too much for both systens!

But the potencial is there and I ink many singleplayer games can benefit with it.
Yu can even have the vita as a second screen only to display maps and inventory, while you play with the dualshock.

Squiggle55

Squiggle55 said:

@Savino I'm hoping a lot of single player games make use of this as well. Of course developers will have to decide if the install base is worth their time, but hopefully they'll throw us a bone and let us use our Vitas with a map on it and the ability to access our inventory and all of that great stuff.

@Squiggle55 Guacamelee is doing it. I think it's an easy addition for games that are going to support cross-buy (seeing as they're already committed to making the Vita version). I don't expect this to be common, though.

Squiggle55

Squiggle55 said:

Yeah I am definitely going to buy Guacamelee. I wish they would finally get that released. I kind of get the feeling that cross-controller capability will be more common for indie, relatively smaller PSN games like cross-buy as well. I'm ok with that.

SanderEvers

SanderEvers said:

WiiU: Pay 300/350 euro's: get a console + tablet that does this 1000% better.

PS3 + PSVita + LBP2 + DLC = Pay 250 / 300 euro's + 250/300 euro's + 70 euro's (game) + 5 euro's DLC = 575 / 675 euro's and get this in ONE game.

Really, I don't know what to choose. Also this isn't integrated with the System which makes this the same as Wii(U) / (3)DS(i) or GC / GBA or N64 / GBC connectivity and NOT the WiiU+tablet. They should've at least made the DLC a free download.

Wii -> 3DS: You can download Miis to your 3DS.
Wii -> DS(i): You can download Miis to certain games, and play Pokémon
WiiU -> 3DS: You can transfer Miis (two ways), play cross-controller in certain games.
GC -> GBA: Many games supported it, including LoZ The Wind Waker and GameBoy Player.
N64 -> GBC: Pokémon games (though you put your GBC cartridge in your controller)
SNES -> GB(C): Super GameBoy, placing the cartridge in your console.
PS3 -> PSP: Remote control (which doesn't work in 99,9999999% of the games)
PS3 -> PSVita: Crosscontroller in currently ONE game.
XBOX 360 -> Smartphone / Windows 8: See some information about some games on your second screen.

Nintendo has been doing this since the SNES, so YES, Sony (and MS) are copying Nintendo. See also: Kinect / Move.

(However I will still buy the DLC next week as I actually got a PS3, the game and a PSVita)

turtlelink

turtlelink said:

I guess people still don't realize that the cross controller feature is not the main selling point for the Vita. Oh well.

NathanUC

NathanUC said:

Everything anyone does these days will almost certainly be a copy in one way or another. Call it what you want, but this is likely going to be a huge addition to the LittleBigPlanet world and make for some pretty unique and compelling gameplay. This will also be a great way to know whether or not this has potential to become a viable selling point for the PS3/Vita as a combo. If this can be done correctly, I personally see the amazing possibilities that the PS3 (or PS4) + Vita will be able provide 'unique' to those of the current competition.

@SanderEvers I think you're sort of missing the point... This is not supposed to replace the Wii U or anything like that. If you're looking for second screen gaming, then you should probably stick with Nintendo's platform. No one's disagreeing with that.

astroshamu

astroshamu said:

That'll be sick, but now that I've been playing wii U the vita feels uncomfortably tiny it takes some adjusting to get comfortable again but still looking forward to this love little big planet