Journey Soundtrack Makes History with Grammy Nomination

Blimey

Clearly not content with the mass of awards that it’s already won, Journey has made history by becoming the first ever video game to be nominated for a Grammy award. The title’s scorching score – composed by Austin Wintory – is up for contention in the ‘Best Score Soundtrack for Visual Media’ category. It’ll face off against heavy hitters such as The Dark Knight Rises and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

Posting on Twitter, the musician struggled to summarise his pride: "Well, I don't really have words right now," he said. "I just got a Grammy nomination for Journey."

The 55th Grammy awards ceremony will take place on 10th February. Should the title triumph, we hope that its success will put an end to the dreadfully dreary 'are games art' discussions, which insist on disrupting this industry on a regular basis.

[via grammy.com]

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

Gonna have to fight it out with Hans Zimmer "The Dark Knight Rises" soundtrack... but I'm optimistic.

@Shiryu To be honest, it's insane seeing the game listed amongst those heavy hitters. Massive congratulations to Sony, thatgamecompany, and, of course, Wintory himself.

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

Indeed, I just wrote about that on my Music page, it's a major victory for the industry as a whole!

ShogunRokAdmin

ShogunRok said:

What can you say? It deserves it. The soundtrack is immense in its own right, and when coupled with the game itself it's like perfection. Congratulations to everyone involved and I'm really glad to see it get so much recognition.

Kamon

Kamon said:

Although it is the first video game to be nominated, it is not the first video game related nomination.

Baba Yetu from Civilization IV won a Grammy in 2011 for the Best Instrumental Arrangement Accompanying Vocalist(s).

@Kamon Man, that's some trivia! If I had a prize, you'd have just won one. Sadly, you'll have to make do with the compliment.