September NPD: Hardware Sales Jump, Borderlands 2 Explodes
Posted by Sammy Barker
Christmas is coming
Average weekly sales of both the PlayStation 3 and Vita increased in North America throughout September, suggesting renewed momentum heading into the holiday season. As has become a recurring theme, the Xbox 360 was the best selling console for the month with 270,000 units sold. Unfortunately, Sony doesn't share specific hardware figures.
Madden NFL 13 was the region's top-selling game for the period, shifting 11 per cent more copies in its debut month than its predecessor sold last year. Meanwhile, Borderlands 2 finished in second, exceeding the previous game’s first month tally by a whopping 234 per cent. Despite those success stories, however, software sales were down by 13 per cent year-over-year, with titles like Dead Island performing better in September 2011.
Feel free to peruse the full software top-ten below.
1. Madden NFL 13 (360, PS3, Wii, PSV)
2. Borderlands 2 (360, PS3, PC)
3. FIFA Soccer 13 (360, PS3, PSV, Wii, 3DS, PSP)
4. New Super Mario Bros. 2 (3DS)
5. Guild Wars 2 (PC)
6. NHL 13 (360, PS3)
7. World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria (PC)
8. NCAA Football 13 (360, PS3)
9. Lego Batman 2: DC Super Heroes (Wii, 360, NDS, PS3, 3DS, PSV, PC)
10. Battlefield 3 (360, PS3, PC)