Rumour: Sonic the Fighters Is Punching onto PSN

Groan

Awful arcade brawler Sonic the Fighters may be the next retro SEGA title to be ported to PSN. Prolific online super sleuth Superannuation teased the game’s imminent arrival on his Twitter feed, noting: “Sonic the Fighters getting a digital re-release suggests to me that SEGA is running out of Sonic games to re-release.”

Those of you eager to play the cutesy Virtua Fighter re-skin right now may be excited to learn that the fighter received a PS2 release way back in 2005. The Sonic Gems Collection bundled the brawler alongside Sonic CD and Sonic R – but only released on Sony’s system in Europe. If you want to play the game in North America, you’ll have to purchase it on GameCube.

[via twitter.com]

fchinaski

fchinaski said:

I feel very sorry for anyone who should feel the urge to pay money for this game if it's re-released. I mean, really, they should get professional help.

@fchinaski I'm afraid I have to agree. Terrible game. I suppose it might make a nice nostalgia piece if they price it low enough...

fchinaski

fchinaski said:

Interestingly enough, I've played it on the arcade once or twice, when I was 15 or something. It came out on 1996 on the arcades I think. Had a couple of laughs for a couple of cents. Much later on, I grabbed a copy of Sonic Gems Collection and was appalled to see how bad it is.

TOMBOY25

TOMBOY25 said:

am i the only one hoping for sonic shuffle to be remade i really liked that game

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

I actually really liked this game. It was incredibly stiff and unbalanced, but my bro and I had a lot of fun playing it together. Then again, we did enjoy Clayfighters together, too. :P

Knux

Knux said:

Actually, I love this game. If this has online multiplayer, I might actually download it.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

@TOMBOY25: That's the Mario Party-esque game, right? I'd like to see that on PSN, sure...never played it. Sonic the Fighters, I have played, and...yuck. I don't like fighting games in general, but this is worse than most. :P

Firejonie

Firejonie said:

It's a good game, but not worth $5 or $10. Considering you can get the Gems Collection on Gamecube for around the same price.

Pichuka97

Pichuka97 said:

Yay!! Hopefully this comes to XBLA. I still play the Gamecube game on a regular basis.