PlayStation All-Stars Beta Begins This Week for Plus Subscribers

Join the fight

Mascot mash-up madness will come early to PlayStation Plus subscribers this week, when the PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale public beta launches on 16th October in North America and 17th October in Europe. Vanilla account holders will be invited to join the crossover chaos on 23rd October in North America and 24th October in Europe, when the multiplayer test opens to everyone.

The PlayStation 3 and Vita cross-play sampler will include six characters from the main game: Kratos, Sweet Tooth, Colonel Radec, Sly Cooper, PaRappa, and Fat Princess. It’ll boast two stages (Metropolis and Hades), in addition to two game types (free-for-all and two-on-two).

The beta’s set to run until 30th October, but if the test tickles your fancy then it’s worth remembering that pre-orders at participating retailers will be rewarded with a set of alternative outfits for each of the characters. Highlights include Sackgirl, Metal Gear Solid 2-era Raiden, and Kessler in place of Good Cole.

[via blog.eu.playstation.com, blog.us.playstation.com]

Related Games

ztpayne7

ztpayne7 said:

FINALLY. I've been waiting so long for this. I had been considering getting plus for three months to try it out - but I was putting it off. Is this worth getting plus to get this beta a week early? I'm a little disappointed it only has the six, though - since we recently saw a tech demo with more characters.

@ztpayne7 It's not worth getting Plus just for this — but it is ABSOLUTELY worth getting Plus for everything else as well.

3Above

3Above said:

If i read the US PS Blog correctly the beta for Vita will start on the 16th even without PS Plus. So ill be playing, Woooo!

IAmNotWill

IAmNotWill said:

I'm gonna have to try this out before I pay $60 for this. It just looks way to different from SSB. Super only KO's sounds really dumb, but I would like to give this a chance. I just wish Sony would have gotten a Japanese developer to make a game like this.

Azikira

Azikira said:

I've played the Beta for months now (even the one that let you play as Sly Cooper, who is really a blast) and I have to honestly say, the game severely falls into the "Okay" category. The super-only deaths are very annoying, especially when other people seemingly raise their bar without touching another player, but the combat itself is fairly solid in itself.

Also beware that there is sometimes a latency with picking up items online, sometimes to the point where you actually cannot pick them up at all.

@Azikira It's worth remembering that a beta is, well, a beta. I'd expect most of the issues you mentioned — particularly the latency on items — to be solved come release.

Azikira

Azikira said:

@get2sammyb: I know, but it's worth noting as it stands. I also think the beta roster drops from 6 to 5 in the open beta, removing Sly.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

@IAmNotWill: Trust me, it IS really dumb. I've played a previous private beta, I'd know. That said, I do intend to try it out again this time and see how much may have been changed...though I fear the main issue of how to actually make a kill is simply unsolvable. sigh

@Azikira: The PS Blog says all six characters are still in the beta...can't think of any reason they'd remove one. Good thing too, since Sly is the only one I did decently with...

evildevil97

evildevil97 said:

I still haven't redeemed the free PS+ month from the God of War Saga. Is it worth redeeming for this?

EDIT: Actually, it's only a week early. Probably gonna hold off for now.

Azikira

Azikira said:

@stuffgamer1: Well out of the 3 betas I've actually played for the game, the most recent one (not this one) removed sly which really bummed me out. But it's good to see Sly is in this one!