Sony Officially Unveils the PlayStation 3 Super Slim

Cosmetic surgery

The PlayStation 3 sure is a big fan of make overs. Speaking during its Tokyo Game Show press conference earlier today, Sony took a moment to confirm the heavily rumoured Super Slim hardware refresh. It will launch in three different flavours in Japan: 250GB and 500GB models in “Charcoal Black”, and 250GB in “Classic White”. The black models will launch on 4th October, while the white version will hit on 22nd November.

According to group president Andy House, the redesign represents a 50 per cent size reduction over the original PS3, and a 25 per cent reduction compared to the current Slim. Strangely, the system will remain the same price.

Update: According to the PlayStation Blog, the slimmer 250GB PlayStation 3 will launch in North America on 25th September (that's next week!) for $269.99. It will come with a copy of Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception, and a voucher for more than $30 worth of bonus digital content in DUST 514. Meanwhile, the 500GB unit will launch for $299.99 on 30th October. An Assassin's Creed III bundle is apparently in the works, but details are still forthcoming.

Over in Europe, the new 500GB console will arrive on 28th September alongside FIFA 13 for €299.99. It'll be joined by a cheap and cheerful 12GB console on 12th October. The entry level system will cost €229.99. Those that wish to extend the platform's storage will be able to connect a standard 2.5 inch SATA hard drive, or purchase an official PlayStation branded 250GB HDD.

What do you think of the new PlayStation 3 hardware design? Let us know in the comments section below.

[via blog.eu.playstation.com, blog.us.playstation.com]

hamispink

hamispink said:

I'm still unsure if I actually like the look of the console. If I saw it in person It might be different, but I'm not a fan of the segmented middle.
Also, even if it's bundled with uncharted, they actually raised the price by $20 in the US for the baseline ps3

ThreadShadow

ThreadShadow said:

I like the new design myself, even though it's not front loading. I think it looks much better then the current slim design. The current slim has too much of a Atari 5200 thing going on! Ha!

Yeah, it's grown on me too. I think it looks quite slick. Don't understand the pricing though — it's actually got more expensive!

KALofKRYPTON

KALofKRYPTON said:

Looks nice enough, in fact it's a little bit gorgeous- I'm a recent fan of the Slim (having recently aquired a red one) but being a top loader (now got 'Dancing In The Moonlight' stuck in my head!) rules it out for me.

The pricing isn't really surprising, the PS3 is embarking on it's PS2 period of maximum profitability- so cutting hardware costs at manufacture but maintaining current pricing makes sense for Sony, but it could confuse new buyers.

Between this and the Slim, it seems the only deciding factors are the form factor and HDD options. I shouldn't think there's much difference in power usage and noise, though if they've managed to make it even quieter than the Slim, then, well- that would be quite astonishing!

@KALofKRYPTON I agree with all your points — I just really expected the PS3 to hit $199 this year, even if it was just the 12GB version. Having said that, the 250GB console with Uncharted is actually a great deal if you've never owned a PS3.

As for the new console, it continues to grow on me. I now love it to the point where I'm tempted to "upgrade".

KALofKRYPTON

KALofKRYPTON said:

@get2sammyb hahahahaha

It is a bit 'too' good looking isn't it? I'd be having the same thoughts had I not just got the Slim and it had a slot loading BD drive. Also, there's another point- for the price you're still getting a 'futureproof' BD player.

Thankfully, I'm resigned to the fact my next console purchase is probably a long way off (my efforts to secure a really, really cheap Wii don't count- as it's only replacing the GameCube, and is totally frivolous!)

Sanquine

Sanquine said:

Why the higher price? Further , where are the new games for the japanse crowd?

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

I think the current slim model looks better. They've got some nice bundles for this thing though. That 250GB one with Uncharted 3 is excellent for somebody looking for a new console this holiday season.

antdickensAdmin

antdickens said:

Is there a price for the flash memory version? I guess it could/should be the cheapest option, will be interesting to see how cheap it is.

belmont

belmont said:

@get2sammyb

It was not your mistake. As I see now in the eu playstation blog comments the same mistake was on the official announcement and was edited later.

Also it is a bit strange to announce the eu launch price in dollars and not in euros. Anyway I like the new look!

DrCruse

DrCruse said:

Finally! No stupid mechanical disc eating slot, just a nice, simple, top loading device! Why don't they always make it like that?

JavierYHL

JavierYHL said:

well whether its looks better or not its not important for me...i sure like the reduce weight and the slimmer size...day 1 500gb purchase for me!

Samholy

Samholy said:

i dont like the middle section, but whatever. i barely see mine under my tv,so...who cares how it looks hehe

still think they could let it go for 199 and try to crush nintendo for holidays. they should have bundled it with 3 games, like infamous,uncharted and little big planet. for 249.99. then nintendo would have peed their pants and sony would have made a winner once again.

JavierYHL

JavierYHL said:

the middle part colour picture here is different from kotaku...or my eyes playing tricks on me...

hydeks

hydeks said:

I like the re-design, kinda looks like they changed the disc slot to be alil tray instead. Whatever, it's still the same great console to me, I'll probably end up getting one when my current ps3 is on the fritz :P

irken004

irken004 said:

it looks odd to me, but i guess that means a price drop for the old slim model? :o

rjejr

rjejr said:

I can't find any photos either way so I have to ask - does the top open like a PSone or does a tray pop out like a computer?
No mention of the 12GB on the US blog. And why 12, shoudln't it either be 8 or 16?
Uncharted 2 is better than 3. Why sell a system with 3, either you already have a PS3 so have already played it or you don't so you haven't played 1 or 2 yet. And they've already had a UC3 bundle w/ the 320GB. They should at least also throw in the dual pack if they are going to raise the price.
Wait, what, raise the price? F-in' Brilliant.
Well, I just put a 500GB into my old 80Gb, which I think is a fat, so no need to upgrade. And as many others have said, it could really use a rear USB for the camera. I have my camera plugged into the front and 3 DS3s which need charging, 2 USB ports doesn't cut it. I am thankful for the ethernet port though, wish the WiiU had one as my Wi-Fi is less than adequate in that room.

bauckster

bauckster said:

Umm, I guess I'm in the minority, but I just don't see the point of this --- I suppose it's a marketing strategy? However, I'd rather save my money for games. Honestly, I don't spend much time looking at the system itself, and the "old" slim already performs really well. Just my 2 cents.

@bauckster It's probably not for you if you've already got a console you're happy with. I'd imagine this is a cost-cutting measure for Sony — despite the weird price hike, these consoles probably carry a bigger profit margin for the company.

irken004

irken004 said:

@rjejr Speak for yourself, I like U3 more than 2 but 2 has the better multiplayer.

Honestly this new console should come with The Last Guardian :D

Ginkgo

Ginkgo said:

The pricing is higher in AU as well. Glad to hear that for once it is not just us. Both models available Sep 27th.
All he deals focus around upgrading your 160GB Slim to a 500GB Super Slim (bundled with 2 games). So Sony is clearly marketing to people who don't think they have enough space.

rjejr

rjejr said:

@FlamingXDragon Thanks for the video. That sliding top looks like it should be on a Jakks Pacific toy. That's bad by the way.
Quote - "it looks cheaper b/c it is cheaper" Well, only it isn't b/c it's more expensive. Go figure.