Namco Bandai's Still Making Digimon Games for PSP

New title out next year

One of the PlayStation Vita’s biggest problems in Japan is its inability to properly outmuscle the PSP. Sony’s Tokyo Game Show press conference earlier this week proved that a lot of developers are still putting faith in the platform holder’s previous handheld, with most third-party titles coming to both of the manufacturer's portable systems. In other cases, the Vita is just being ignored entirely.

Take Digimon Adventure – it’s a brand new PSP game set to launch in 2013. We understand that the title might appeal to a younger audience, and thus it makes sense to release it on the cheaper console, but the PSP's continued popularity is really starting to hurt the Vita. It's time to move on.

ShogunRokAdmin

ShogunRok said:

It's that viscous cycle in Japan again isn't it? PSP has a bigger user base so its games always sell - so developers keep making games for it. If there's no games on Vita... it doesn't sell. Surely Sony must ween people off the PSP soon?

Sakura_Moonlight2421

Sakura_Moonlight2421 said:

I thought the weening process had already occurred in Japan. It is here in America. If I want to find a PSP game I have to go to a specifically sized store since the smaller spaces have phased them out of their store's stock.

ShogunRokAdmin

ShogunRok said:

Reminds me of the problem the PS3 faced with the PS2 still selling. Although at least this problem is Japan only. Still, took a long, long time for Sony to finally stop supporting the PS2.

Sanquine

Sanquine said:

Hmm stupid japanese , why do not embrace the vita. 2 analog sticks is the future. I hate playing with the CLAW ( MH games and you will know what i mean.)

LigerZeroN

LigerZeroN said:

That's pretty neat. Hope they bring this to the west on the ps network. Does anyone know it this will arrive to the west?

Squiggle55

Squiggle55 said:

It's a tough one. Sony isn't going to say no to money, but I still think they should push devs away from the PSP. At least make sure the new PSP game is digitally available on the Vita's PSN store at launch.
And at the very least they should do everything they can to push consumers away from the PSP. I have to think it hurts their bottom line for potential Vita customers to choose the PSP. My local gamestop told me they aren't carrying the PSP anymore, so that's a start.

squirrelguys

squirrelguys said:

I loved digimon when i was little. if this and ffiii hit the psn store i'll get them on mah go.

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

Only problem with games like this one is if you've seen the show you already know what happens. Still looks good but I would rather have Redigitized.

They're certainly between a rock an a hard place here, they need to find a way to encourage people to migrate over the the Vita rather than pull the rug out from under them. I don't know which is sadder, seeing a great old system phaze out or a brand new one full of potential struggle.