The NPD results for August have been released, which were no doubt greeted by many sweaty brows within the gaming industry. The overall picture for U.S. game sales is worrying, with a drop in software sales of 9% compared to the same period last year, though PS3 has reportedly produced improved sales compared to July.
The top-selling game title, meanwhile, was Darksiders II, with the PS3, PC and Xbox 360 title out-performing the rest. The news will be reassuring for publisher THQ, after a tough 12 months of balancing the books.
We rated this one highly in our Darksiders II review, an excellent title despite some flaws, and it seems that plenty of U.S. gamers have done the same. You can see the full top 10 selling games in the U.S. for August below, covering 29th July to 25th August.
1. Darksiders 2 (360, PS3, PC)
2. New Super Mario Bros 2 (3DS)
3. Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance (3DS)
4. NCAA Football 13 (360, PS3)
5. Lego Batman 2: DC Super Heroes (Wii, 360, NDS, PS3, 3DS, PSV, PC)
6. Sleeping Dogs (360, PS3)
7. Transformers: Fall of Cybertron (360, PS3)
8. Batman: Arkham City (360, PS3, PC)
9. Call of Duty: Black Ops (360, PS3, NDS, Wii, PC)
10. The Amazing Spider-Man (360, PS3, NDS, 3DS, Wii)