Sony Reveals Multiplayer Details for Resistance: Burning Skies

Competitive gunplay for up to eight players

If there’s one thing missing from the PlayStation Vita’s current software offering, it’s a competitive first-person shooter. Thankfully it looks like Nihilistic Software’s Resistance: Burning Skies is set to fill that void in May.

The spin-off shooter’s website has been updated with some new nuggets about the title’s competitive multiplayer component. It will support eight-player battles spread across six stages and three modes.

Sadly, that’s all we have to go on for now – but we suspect Sony will have more details to share soon. Are you excited about the prospect of playing a fully fledged competitive first-person shooter on Vita?

[via us.playstation.com]

Supereor

Supereor said:

I am, sort of. It's sure not going to be a first-day title for me, but I will definitely see to getting it around/on my birthday.

ShogunRokAdmin

ShogunRok said:

I'm just glad it IS a fully fledged shooter. I was beginning to think Sony had overblown Vita's online functionality after the launch line up had about... 2 games with actual multiplayer. I was expecting Burning Skies to have 2 v 2 on 4 maps by this point lol

kivi95

kivi95 said:

Hmm would prefer to have 6vs6. Hopefully the game won't dissapoint.

Squiggle55

Squiggle55 said:

I didn't have any idea the Vita was limited in this way. I'm no FPS expert but 8 players doesn't sound like much.

@Squiggle55 I'm sure we'll see bigger multiplayer titles in the future — remember, we are still pretty close to launch.

Having said that, 4v4 sounds fine as long as the maps are designed with the limited player count in mind (which I'm sure they are). I'm rather looking forward to it.

Squiggle55

Squiggle55 said:

@get2sammyb you're probably right that the maps will make all the difference. I was just thinking about the FPSs I've played when most of the people drop out and it's only 4v4 or 3v3 and it's dreadfully boring all of the sudden.

Azikira

Azikira said:

Well seeing how we have absolutely no other competitive shooters on the Vita, this will fill a huge void in the replayability factor for the system. Right now, I am sitting at about 2 hours of gameplay for my Vita per week, while my 3DS gets at least 20 hours a week. I know it's still pretty 'launch window', but Sony needs more titles like this if they want to start selling consoles. Or just release Monster Hunter Vita in Japan, lol!

ShogunRokAdmin

ShogunRok said:

Vita does need some big announcements soon, I can't play FIFA and Dynasty Warriors forever... I don't think, anyway.