Sony: US Vita Launch Generated "Exceptional Sales"

Overwhelming enthusiasm

Sony’s commented on the sales of the PlayStation Vita in North America, describing them as “exceptional”.

SCEA’s Patrick Seybold said in a statement:

After months of anticipation, the U.S. launch of PlayStation Vita saw overwhelming enthusiasm amongst gamers, resulting in exceptional hardware, software and peripheral sales.

Seybold didn’t provide any specific statistics, but did reiterate the 1.2 million global sales number from last month.

Seybold continued:

Customer satisfaction rates are very high and momentum will continue as gamers get their hands on a deep line up of blockbuster titles that take advantage of PS Vita’s unique features, including cross-platform play with the PlayStation 3.

In truth it’s a bit of an ambiguous statement, but we certainly can’t disagree with the customer satisfaction comment. It seems that anyone that gets their hands on the PS Vita falls in love with it, and that can’t be a bad thing for word of mouth.

Zergling

Zergling said:

After much thought,I am getting mine tomorrow but I expected more out of the Sony Press Conference this morning.

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

I was going to wait the price to drop before picking up a Vita but all the positive feedback that I have read from people that own one convinced me that it is definitely worth picking one up now. That and the amazing Gravity Rush trailer! :D

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

Oh, yeah, the thing's FAR more worth getting at $250 than the 3DS was, with a MUCH better launch lineup of software and obviously superior tech. That said, it doesn't have as much exciting software known on the horizon as the 3DS did and still does, so it remains to be seen how much support the machine gets moving on. With THAT said, hardware sales are always good for developer interest, so buying one would help ensure software support in the future.

Verdict: Get one! I did, and I don't regret it. :D

Prof_Clayton

Prof_Clayton said:

Ha fools! Your Vita from Playstation is no match for the 3DS! :P
I don't have a Vita though, may get one eventually, we will see...

Supereor

Supereor said:

@ClaytonLuigi

So the first row are your main thoughts, and second are your second thoughts? Gee, people nowadays are too lazy to put disclaimers...

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

My poor 3DS has seen little to no action over the past two months since I got my Vita. Here's hoping Kid Icarus: Uprising injects some new life into my poor 3DS. :D

JayMiller1988

JayMiller1988 said:

I opted to get a 3DS last year, so that's 250 bucks (I got it at Christmas, it pretty much cost that exact amount) out of my wallet. I'm saving up for the large array of games that will be released in the future for all censored and PS4, not to mention the PS3 games I am not going to risk not getting. So Vita is on the low end of the priority list.

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

There's no doubt that when people get their hands on the machine they're sold on what a wonderful piece of hardware it is but for some people $250 is a bit much for a handheld. It's a fair price but it was a tough sell for Nintendo with the 3DS and the same is going to be true for Sony with the Vita. It also doesn't seem to have that appeal to parents that 'hey this is a device you can purchase for your kids.' That's a huge market for Nintendo and one that Sony has had a hard time figuring out how to tap into. The good news is the Vita doesn't have to beat the 3DS in sales to be a success, it just needs to do well enough to be viable for Sony and third party developers who support it, kind of like PSP was. I think it'll do that, it's a great machine for the 'core' gaming market.

mattybwbafc

mattybwbafc said:

Definitively needs more games and especially a killer rpg like Ragnarok odyssey or white knight chronicles.