Sony Admits that It Could Have Done Better with Move

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Still being worked on

When Move was released for the PS3, it offered an experience similar to the Wii Remote and Nunchuk, but ultimately with superior and more accurate technology. In an interview with Official PlayStation Magazine, however, Sony UK VP and MD Fergal Gara has admitted that it hasn't been as big a success as Sony hoped, and that improvements are needed in software for the peripheral.

When asked about whether Move had targeted the correct audience or provided enough high-quality experiences, Gara was honest and upfront.

What I’m thinking is that it’s better suited towards the casual market, certainly, but we also are pretty clear that we could have done a better job on the titles we’ve had and we’ve brought to market for the PlayStation Move. As you’ve said, great tech, probably not so great applications so far. So there’s a job for us to do on the strength of games, and having seen what’s forthcoming gives me great hope that we can do a better job with Move as we look forward. So we’re certainly not forgetting about it.

What have you thought of Move so far, and do you have hope that Sony can improve the way it's used in the future?

[via officialplaystationmagazine.co.uk]

DrCruse

DrCruse said:

I don't think the control scheme is as intuitive as the Wii, sadly. Having the right thumb access 5 different buttons at once and the left thumb 6 buttons and an analogue stick was too much to keep track of in the middle of a game. Plus the fact that there were 2 Square buttons and 2 Circle buttons. What the heck was that about?

TasukiStaff

Tasuki said:

Honestly I have never tried the Move although I have seen demos for it at places like Target and Fry's Electronics. But after owning a Wii since launch when I looked at the Move I just got that been there done that feeling from it. It wasnt as revolutionary to me as when I first saw the Wii. Almost looked like Sony was hoping to copy the success of the Wiimote and motion technology of the Wii.

dmmp1234

dmmp1234 said:

Three games are going to Fully Utilize the Move coming up here- Tiger Woods PGA Tour 13, MLB The Show and Sorcery. They will be must have Move games, ones we are waiting for!
You want to see what Move is capable of and Should have been from the start.

BadKitty

BadKitty said:

At least Sony has the Heart and guts to admit when or if they make mistakes, which in my eyes they never make any u_u

chiptoon

chiptoon said:

"When Move was released for the PS3, it offered an experience similar to the Wii Remote and Nunchuk, but ultimately with superior and more accurate technology."

I think its funny how statements like this are still made, cleverly leaving out any mention of Motion +.

two things I really hate about Move: no IR pointer, which I find more accurate, and straightforward for navigation and light gun games and that horrid glowing ball that reflects in my TV. yuck.