Vita Won't Play PSOne Games Right Away

Posted by James Newton

Backwards incompatibility

Sony's Japanese Vita website has confirmed that the upcoming portable will not run original PlayStation games right out of the box, as rumoured in an issue of Famitsu last month.

As reported by Andriasang the Japanese site asks "can Vita play PlayStation Game Archives games?", which refers to PSOne and TurboGrafx-16 software. The answer is:

It won't be supported at the time of the PS Vita launch. Regarding future support, we'll share details later

If you like playing that copy of Crash Team Racing on the go, you might want to keep your original PSP for the time being until Sony shares more details.

[via andriasang.com]

DrCruse

DrCruse said:

No! I assumed they would include something as necessary as PS1 support. That was one of the main selling points of the console for me; playing PS1 games with true analogue control on the go! D:

Blaze

Blaze said:

Ah well. I'm sure they'll have the support within a few months! Plus, this is only regarding the Japanese launch. Considering the fact that in Europe and the US we are getting the console 3 months later, it may well possibly have support very soon after the launch or possibly at launch. I'm sure support for PS One games will reach Vita at some point, especially considering how the PSP already has the function! :-)

hamispink

hamispink said:

I had heard rumors about this, but I didn't want it to be true :(. I think this could be due to the fact that the ps vita supports playstation suite games on the android, which are mostly made up of ps1 games.
Either way, nice shout-out for CTR! my favorite cart racing game :D

Slapshot

Slapshot said:

I'll be too busy playing the new Vita games and Gran Turismo (PSP) to notice anyways! :D

Rambo-Hamster

Rambo-Hamster said:

I think it's the same logic they had with removing backwards compatibility from the PS3. They want you playing Vita games, not PS1 games.

Now, of course, this can be easily remedied with a software update, and likely will in time. Just for now, Sony wants us buying up those Vita games. And with the ones up for grabs, I'm not really complaining.

P.S. Yes, I'm aware the biggest reason Sony cut off backwards compatibility on the PS3 was the cost associated with including it, but another main influence was the weak software sales at the time. People were buying the PS3 and playing PS2 games on it. They just want to avoid that situation with the Vita.

Scissors

Scissors said:

WHY MUST YOU PLAY WITH MY EMOTIONS

I thought this was an announcement that a new Crash gave developed by Naughty Dogg would hit the Vita.

pntjr

pntjr said:

I'm kind of slow on the Vita news, so don't call me stupid or judge me, but:
Any news on PS2 games coming on the Vita?

michiganurse

michiganurse said:

none. And to be honest do we really want to play super old games on this brand spanking new piece of hardware?

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

@#9: Well, I do. I just got a PS Vita and I was looking forward to buying a few PS1 classics so I can play them on my Vita. Hopefully Sony will come out with a patch for this some day.