External Battery Extends Vita's 3-5 Hour Life

Posted by Patrick Elliot

Battery add-on enables 9-15 hour lifespan

PS Vita lasts about 3-5 hours on its own, but the optional external battery peripheral just announced by Sony will give perpetually unplugged consumers the opportunity to buy themselves some more time. The company released info on the device on Sony's Japanese site.

PS Vita runs 3-5 hours only if players disable Bluetooth and WiFi and keep their screen brightness set to default. The add-on battery pack extends that lifespan to 9-15 hours. The device is small (70x67x22mm), packs 5,000mAh of energy and weighs 145 grams (about 5 ounces). It also appears to be chargeable via USB. Pricing is still unknown.

So, are any of you thinking of picking this up or would you rather keep your PS Vita sleek as can be?

[via scei.co.jp, psp.ign.com]

IndridCold

IndridCold said:

For me 3-5 hours is plenty of battery time. I personally don't see myself picking one up unless it's pretty cheap.

littlebigplanet

littlebigplanet said:

I may get one for LONG car rides. But besides that, I have no need for one. i can get a lot of gaming in in that time

Rambo-Hamster

Rambo-Hamster said:

That is perfect. Well perfect so far as we don't know how much it is. But 9-15 hours? That is far more than I expected from a battery peripheral and I am satisfied with that.

What I won't be satisfied with, however, is the massive price that will (be almost guaranteed to) come with it :(

vakama94

vakama94 said:

definetly getting one, i hope it´s not very expensive since the Vita will cost a lot more in México

Rambo-Hamster

Rambo-Hamster said:

@turtlelink, I'm guessing you plug it in via a mini-USB cable to charge it. Kinda sticks out and ruins the sleek-ness of it all, but (IMO) it's worth it for 15 hours of Vita goodness

Hardy83

Hardy83 said:

I like this option. Instead of adding the battery to the system and upping the cost, most likely $40, it's an external option for those who want it.

Also better then no option, which the 3DS had unless you count third parties.

turtlelink

turtlelink said:

Ah, thanks for clearing that up Rambo. Guess it would be perfect for Road Trips (though I don't play much while in the car)) and flights.

Rambo-Hamster

Rambo-Hamster said:

I'm just glad they made this. Now all I can do is pray, pray, and pray some more that Sony doesn't decide to price it stupidly at $60 or something.

Unfortunately, I see that as likely :(

hamispink

hamispink said:

For a battery with that much power, I would expect $60, though if Sony can push it down to $50 then this would be able to compete well with other usb battery chargers for charge time, and size

Slapshot

Slapshot said:

I just hope they come out with a add-on that allows for a third analogue stick. :P

Blaze

Blaze said:

I was thinking about it, but maybe the Vita is big enough as it is?

DrCruse

DrCruse said:

Will probably get it depending on the price. This is nothing compared to the Sega Nomad Battery Pack. :P
Untitled
It took 6 AA batteries and was mandatory, unless you used the AC adapter.

albinopig

albinopig said:

I think 3-5 hours is fine for a battery. But if this is 20-50 bucks I might consider picking it up before a road/airplane trip.

samabam14

samabam14 said:

probably be around $20 - $30, I'll probably pick one up right before a long trip or something.