Valve Explains Why You Can't Use Move in Portal 2

Posted by James Newton

For real this time

The German PlayStation blog announced Portal 2 has Move support, then quick as a flash Valve said that Portal 2 doesn't have Move support. Now the company's spoken about the mix-up and revealed why the controller won't feature in its upcoming puzzle adventure.

Valve writer Chet Faliszek spoke to Eurogamer about the confusion and explained Move has no place in the game for one reason: quality.

I'm not sure it would make the game better. Obviously there are a bunch of games the Kinect and the Move absolutely made better and are for. But for this, where we had started from day one not thinking about that, it would not.

That said, when asked by Eurogamer if support for the controller would be patched in future, Faliszek replied with a simple "who knows?"

While we're happy Valve isn't content to develop Move support half-heartedly, it's still disappointing we won't be able to shoot portals with PlayStation Move.

[via eurogamer.net]

TGov

TGov said:

I am kind of failing to see how move support couldn't make it better. It has certainly made Killzone 3 better for me and being a huge fan of Portal I really think move support would have put this title over the top on the Ps3. If anybody could make the move work exceptionally well it is Valve.

Shugo

Shugo said:

I don't understand what they're talking about when they said it wouldn't improve it. They've been pushing the Sixense PC motion controller compatibility with Portal 2 and it's basically the same thing.

In fact, later this year, Portal 2 is slated to come bundled with the Sixense and that version will have exclusive extra stages geared toward motion control. There's little reason why they couldn't have done this for PS3 and Move.

Shugo

Shugo said:

Oooh, okay. In the full Eurogamer article, Chet actually elaborates that the Sixense (or Hydra) team has been working in-house with them for quite a while now and even developed those extra puzzles themselves. That's why they feel better using Sixense than Move, becuase Sixense does its part to fit in and has been developed for a long time...Move would just be unnecessary half-thought-out icing on the top.

Good call then, I guess...I would still like to see it patched in some day, though.

Wesker

Wesker said:

I call BS on this one. Portal + Move would be a match made in heaven. The only thing I can think of why they're not doing it is because Microsoft chucked a bag of money their way.

lipnox

lipnox said:

I played portal 1 the whole way through on the orange box via xbox 360 and I agree with valve 100%, move support even using killzone 3 move controls is not a worthwhile experience.

naiyo

naiyo said:

@ lipnox
you can't agree... they are using motion controls for the pc in the same way Killzone is using it, "pointer fuctions" and some motion.

SwerdMurd

SwerdMurd said:

yeah what a strange comment....I personally don't think they have a right to speak for every perspective purchaser the way they did--if you guys can't figure out a good way to program around move controls, that's one thing. Given how many examples of both Wii and Move FPS-style controls we've already seen though, I can't see how they'd have that problem. Hell Gameloft was able to make an FPS with good Move controls....and they're Gameloft. You know--the maker of such games as Copycat, Cash-in 2: Molestation of Intellectual Property and Arbitrary Sports Game,

TGov

TGov said:

"move support even using killzone 3 move controls is not a worthwhile experience."

It has been very worthwhile for me. YMMV.

SwerdMurd

SwerdMurd said:

@slap - ok i gotta admit i have no idea how to read that face in context. I stand by everything I wrote though :)

I also stand by feeling like Valve just ducked out of doing the work and explained it away after the fact. Gamers these days like options--I may find Ys: Oath in Felghana impossible to play using the mouse buttons to jump and attack, but god bless them for going the extra mile and including that functionality for the PC version. And btw--that game was programmed by 4 people (another 12-15 or so did artwork and JDK did music as usual)

EdEN

EdEN said:

It's a FPS that could benefit from pointer controls. Basically, you'd have Wii controls on a PS3 game. How is that now "something that would not make it better"?

lipnox

lipnox said:

I think move works great in Killzone 3. i was refering to portals gameplay being the issue.

Terra

Terra said:

This honestly seems like a game that would benefit greatly from the Move. Nevermind... :(

ragingbender

ragingbender said:

This totally blows. Portal would greatly benefit from the Move. It makes movement way more intuitive which is something you need in portal.