The device is currently codenamed the NGP, or 'Next Generation Portable'. According to the platform holder, the NGP has been designed around five core pillars: user interface, social connectivity, location-based entertainment, converging real and virtual gameplay, and PlayStation Suite connectivity. PlayStation Suite is Sony's new initiative to bring popular PS content to Android phones, including PSone and first-generation PSP titles.
The new hardware boasts many of the features we already anticipated: a five-inch OLED screen is in, running at 960x544 resolution (4 times greater than the current PSP). The device also boasts: 3G, Wi-Fi, GPS, front and rear touch pads, and the same sixaxis accelerometer and gyroscopic sensors that power the PlayStation Move. The device also has front and rear facing cameras. UMD has been dropped and will be replaced by Flash memory cards. The device will provide backwards compatibility for any digital PSP games you've bought from the PlayStation Store.
The NGP is due this holiday.
Hit the jump for everything you need to know!
- PlayStation Suite Brings Popular Legacy PlayStation Content To Android Devices
- Sony Unleashes The Big Names; Uncharted, Wipeout, Killzone & Resistance All Coming To NGP
- Call Of Duty Confirmed For Latest PlayStation Handheld, NGP
- ... And The NGP Looks A Little Bit Like This
- NGP's 'LiveArea' Interface To Support Trophies, PSN Friends & Messaging
- NGP's 'Near' Application Tracks Your Location
- Metal Gear Solid 4 Demonstrated On NGP
- Unreal Engine 3 Demonstrated On NGP
- Yakuza: Of The End & Lost Planet 2 Demonstrated On NGP
- NGP Concept Video Is All About Putting Power In Your Hands
- Sony Dishes Out The Technical Specifications Of The PlayStation Portable's Successor, NGP
- This Is The NGP Screenshot That Excites Us More Than Anything Else
- Full List Of Third-Party NGP Publishers Revealed, EA & THQ Missing In Action
- Let's Take A Look At Some Of The NGP's Games
- Uncharted's Next Generation Portable Entry Looks Staggering
- Kotaku Goes Hands-On With NGP: "Pleasantly Surprising. It's Light, And It's Beautiful."
- Shuhei Yoshida: "NGP Is Not Going To Be $599"
- Little Deviants Is One Of The More Clever Titles Coming To Sony's New Handheld
- Nihilistic Software On Resistance NGP Development Duties
- Sony NGP Will Be Available In Multiple SKUs: With Or Without 3G Connectivity
- Blow Up The NGP's Touch Interface And It Looks Like A Tonka Toy
- Nintendo President Weighs In On Sony's Next Generation Portable Announcement
- Tretton Makes Worldwide NGP Launch Sound Unlikely, "Aiming For 2011 Launch In At Least One Territory"
- Sony Decided Against 3D Technology For NGP, "Shared Experience" Not Suitable For Handhelds
- EEDAR Pegs Sony's NGP In The $300-$350 Price Bracket