Move-Enabling Patches May Cost You

Posted by James Newton

Don't expect them all to be free

Looking forward to the Move-capable updates of Heavy Rain and Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition? We imagine there are several more updates on the horizon, but you'd imagine having already bought the game and controller you wouldn't have to shell out again to use them together. Well, you might be wrong.

The Official PlayStation US Blog just posted a monster Move FAQ, tackling questions both technical and trivial, but one answer that caught our eye was this one:

Q: Will I need to update my games to enable PlayStation Move support? If yes, will it be free? (asked by @PrometheusX)
A: Most PlayStation Move games you’ll play will be designed specifically for the motion controller, though some game publishers have chosen to add PlayStation Move support to their existing PS3 games. Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition and Heavy Rain are two well-known examples of existing games being adapted for PlayStation Move. In these cases, you will download an update over the PlayStation Network to add PlayStation Move support. Whether these updates are free or will require a fee will depend on the game and publisher.

We're no strangers to paid-for DLC here at Movemodo and understand that adding Move support to existing games isn't an easy or free task, but we remain optimistic that prices will be kept sensible and affordable for all.

What's the most you would pay for a Move-enabling update?

James

James said:

@NESGamePro - You're quite right, Move support for Heavy Rain will be free. I've updated the article to reflect that :)

Roopa132

Roopa132 said:

I hope games with both Dualshock and Move controls won't become more expensive.

DazzaAdmin

Dazza said:

I think paying a little extra for retrofitting Move controls to a game ain't the end of the world really. It's only going to be a small minority, future games will have it built in from day one if they're gonna do it.

As for Resi 5, the Move enabled disc is only £9.99 at HMV online so you might as well just flog the old one on eBay rather than pay for a patch!

EdEN

EdEN said:

@NESGamepro: Yes, Heavy Rain patch will be free. Don't really know about the one for RE5: Gold. I'm still pissed about them saying that my copy of RE5 can get DLC I pay for but won't get the patch.

James

James said:

@EdEN I'm also surprised that only the Gold Edition is getting the Move patch. Let me ask Capcom why that is!

SilentJ

SilentJ said:

@James Please do! I bought the RE5 Collector's Edition on release day so no way am I selling it but I REALLY want to try out the Move on it. Sucks that I'm getting left out in the cold for supporting them on release day.

Roopa132

Roopa132 said:

@James and @EdEN Maybe they thought that the gold edition didn't have enough extra content and thought they owed the fans something? Or of course it's so newcomers who want to play RE5 with the Move will have to buy the more expensive version (although on Amazon Germany it only costs 4.00€ more so it's not that big of a difference)