Final Fantasy Boss says Move is Awkward for RPGs

Posted by James Newton

But could be used in future Square Enix titles

We've already made our case for why certain Western RPGs wouldn't work with Move, but Square Enix's Yoshinori Kitase believes that Japanese RPGs aren't a great fit for Move, either.

Speaking to Eurogamer, Kitase explained why Move is an "awkward" fit for the genre:

[In] an RPG, you have to improve your character fight and fight and fight, and then the ending, and then more to play with, that could be 40 to 50 hours. It's quite continuous play, even though you don't have one go, obviously. That kind of technique might not fit so well with a very continuous title that requires long gameplay.

Kitase did go on to say that Square Enix could have future uses for Move, with the company hoping to expand PSP shooter The 3rd Birthday onto PS3 in future, when Move "could be quite handy", says Kitase.

Would you play an RPG that used Move for active battle sequences?

[via eurogamer.net]

VGM

VGM said:

Would I play an RPG that used Move for active battle sequences? No.
I think the Move would be perfect for 'The 3rd Birthday', though.

Roopa132

Roopa132 said:

If you only control one person and have real time fights I don't see the problem. Sure it could get a bit tiring but it's not like you go out of a fight and right into the next one the whole time (except if you're farming exp or items).

But even so I don't think it is a problem. Of course you can't use Move well with every game and it would be bad if they were trying to force the controls on a game were they clearly don't fit. So I just hope all the developers make the right decisions.

mjc0961

mjc0961 said:

I think Square Enix is staffed by monkeys and don't know any better. Some of the people there actually said that western developers are doing it wrong because they don't make games realistic enough. Well, you tell me when flying boats, big spikey hairdos, and swords bigger than the person using them occur in reality and that's when I'll start taking Square Enix seriously again. Until then, I think they're all idiots and take nothing they say seriously.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

@mjc: Wow, that's pretty screwed up. I prefer Japanese RPG's to Western ones partly because they AREN'T trying to be as realistic!:P

I think Move controls for an action-RPG COULD work, but they'd be worthless on turn-based battle. That said, I'm still not sure I would want Kingdom Hearts 3 to use Move, 'cause it could get ridiculously tiring.

VGM

VGM said:

@James Newton Basically what @Roopa stated: "I don't think the Move would work good with an RPG either. That is if we're talking about traditional RPGs where you control a group of people especially because they're normally turn based which would be strange with the Move if you only did one attack per turn." I don't think Move would be good for Turn-based RPGs. But who knows, maybe it could work. Guess we'll just have to wait & see.

Slapshot

Slapshot said:

I definatley DO NOT want Move to become the mainstream controller for all my PS3 titles. Only apply where needed, though Move and menu scrolling and Navi to move around Im sure would work great!

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

I totally agree with Slapshot, Move should only be implemented in games that can good use of it. There are way too many games on the Wii that tried to force motion control into them. I hope Sony doesn't make that same mistake.

Also, SquareEnix might be a little hesitant of attempting another motion-based RPG after the last game they tried that on flopped at retail; Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers. Then again, it wasn't really an RPG but more of an action-adventure game with quick time motion events. It was a good game but since it had the name Final Fantasy attached to it, a lot of people were disappointed when it turned out to be a completely different type of game.

SwerdMurd

SwerdMurd said:

I would totally play a game with a move-centric battle system. Dragon Quest swords without copious flaws would be a dream come true, or anything even sorta like it.

Square Enix should've said "We've made a couple attempts at Wiimote-centered RPGs, but unfortunately due to issues with both the hardware and out own inability to come up with a solid concept, they didn't turn out very well, thusly we've decided not to pursue the Move."