Firstly, apparently people are still way into Resident Evil. Despite essentially being a re-release of a year old game, Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition (Alternative Edition in Japan) has debuted top of the Japanese software charts selling a whopping 143,339 copies. The PSP's God Eater occupied the second spot.
But most interestingly, is the appearance of Heavy Rain at number six. It managed 26,775 copies in its first week on retail, which is impressive for a game we'd consider to have largely Western appeal. Maybe Japan are ready for a change.
We've stuck the full listing after the jump.
- Resident Evil 5 Alternative Edition (PS3) - 143,339 units
- God Eater (PSP) - 64,192 units
- New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Wii) - 44,415 units
- Dragon Quest VI (DS) - 41,412 units
- Tomodachi Collection (DS) - 31,299 units
- Heavy Rain (PS3) - 26,775 units
- Wii Fit Plus (Wii) - 25,631 units
- Yu-Gi-Oh 5D's World Championship 2010 Reverse of Arcadia) -24,132 units
- Star Ocean 4 The Last Hope International (PS3) - 15,097 units
- Wii Sports Resort (Wii) - 11,303 units