Forums

Topic: Anime/Manga Discussion Thread

Posts 21 to 40 of 164

Rocko52

Hm, seems CanisWolfred's set up an anime discussion here too...well okay. I think I prefer the NL forum set-up, but oh well.

Anime watching: Mobile Suit Gundam, Lupin III, & Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable
Reading: The Golden Compass

ShogunRok

My favourite anime would have to be Gundam 0083 - 12 episodes of pure brilliance that as far as I'm concerned, is yet to be surpassed. Although I'm a huge fan of Gundam in general. I also love the new remasters/retells of Evangelion (1:11, 2:22, etc.) but they're taking their sweet time in releasing...

My favourite manga is Dragon Ball/Dragon Ball Z. It's a shame to think so many people don't even know the franchise began as a manga, especially when (in my opinion) the manga is better in every possible way imaginable. Not to mention Akira Toriyama's art is, really, the pinnacle of what we can expect from a manga artist.

Also a huge fan of the Full Metal Alchemist manga, where again I think the manga series completely blows away the anime. What I like about FMA are the believable characters. Well written and strong female personalities are relatively hard to come by in any media, but because FMA is mostly written by a woman, we get a very balanced cast not offset by either sex. Fantastic read.

ShogunRok

Twitter:

Rocko52

My favorite anime is Death Note.
Second favorite is FMA.
Third is One Piece or Bleach.

Anime watching: Mobile Suit Gundam, Lupin III, & Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable

CanisWolfred
ShogunRok

My favourite anime would have to be Gundam 0083 - 12 episodes of pure brilliance that as far as I'm concerned, is yet to be surpassed. Although I'm a huge fan of Gundam in general. I also love the new remasters/retells of Evangelion (1:11, 2:22, etc.) but they're taking their sweet time in releasing...

My favourite manga is Dragon Ball/Dragon Ball Z. It's a shame to think so many people don't even know the franchise began as a manga, especially when (in my opinion) the manga is better in every possible way imaginable. Not to mention Akira Toriyama's art is, really, the pinnacle of what we can expect from a manga artist.

Also a huge fan of the Full Metal Alchemist manga, where again I think the manga series completely blows away the anime. What I like about FMA are the believable characters. Well written and strong female personalities are relatively hard to come by in any media, but because FMA is mostly written by a woman, we get a very balanced cast not offset by either sex. Fantastic read.

Good to finally meet a Gundam Fan that still likes the series. I really wish I had bought Gundam 0083 when I had the chance. I really love it, too. Actually, after the original Mobile Suit Gundam, I find all of the OVAs to be the pinnacle of Mecha anime. Besides 0083, what other Gundam series are your favorites?

Good to see you're a fan of Dragon Ball as well. I always meant to read the Dragon Ball manga, but I've yet to get around to it. I still have plenty of other manga to read, too, like Toriko. Have you read/watched any of One Piece, by any chance? I can't help but feel that a DB fan would enjoy it immensely, as I always felt it was the true successor to that series.

And have you seen Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, the more-Manga-accurate animated version? I know it rushes through the beginning, which is such a shame, but I always felt that it ultimately benefitted the series.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

ShogunRok
CanisWolfred

Good to finally meet a Gundam Fan that still likes the series. I really wish I had bought Gundam 0083 when I had the chance. I really love it, too. Actually, after the original Mobile Suit Gundam, I find all of the OVAs to be the pinnacle of Mecha anime. Besides 0083, what other Gundam series are your favorites?

Good to see you're a fan of Dragon Ball as well. I always meant to read the Dragon Ball manga, but I've yet to get around to it. I still have plenty of other manga to read, too, like Toriko. Have you read/watched any of One Piece, by any chance? I can't help but feel that a DB fan would enjoy it immensely, as I always felt it was the true successor to that series.

And have you seen Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, the more-Manga-accurate animated version? I know it rushes through the beginning, which is such a shame, but I always felt that it ultimately benefitted the series.

I feel the same way about the OVAs, almost every single one is a masterclass in mecha. For me, nothing has ever beaten 0083 - but that's not to say various things haven't come close. I'm a huge fan of the original Mobile Suit Gundam and Z Gundam, but I'm also happily aware of the newer series'. I'm fond of 00, and even though Seed/Destiny gets a lot of hate, I think they also sport their own charms. I wouldn't say I hated any Gundam series, although I certainly think some are far worse than others - for example, I don't much care for ZZ.

I can't wait for Unicorn to finish so I can watch it back-to-back. The animation and overall quality is stunning.

The Dragonball manga is fantastic - it's quite amazing how much the feel of it differs compared to DBZ, but it feels like its own entity because of it. If you ever get the chance to read it, I'd say don't hesitate.

On the subject of One Piece, I've never gotten into detail with it but I do know of it. It seems unique in both style and atmosphere, so it definitely interests me. I also know the author and Akira Toriyama have worked on a few projects together, so that vouches for the quality. Of the 'three big' anime/mangas, I think One Piece would interest me most. I watched quite a bit of Naruto when I was younger, but gradually lost interest. I collected a lot of the Bleach manga, but again, lost interest. Both series just tended to drag so tediously - I just couldn't keep either up.

I also haven't seen Brotherhood but I've heard good things. The fact that it follows the manga more closely is a definite plus for me, as that's essentially the reason I was put off the original anime. I read the manga first, so watching the anime was like having the storyline I'd come to know and love be butchered right in front of my eyes. I suppose it'd be the same way if you watched the anime first, though.

ShogunRok

Twitter:

CanisWolfred
ShogunRok

I feel the same way about the OVAs, almost every single one is a masterclass in mecha. For me, nothing has ever beaten 0083 - but that's not to say various things haven't come close. I'm a huge fan of the original Mobile Suit Gundam and Z Gundam, but I'm also happily aware of the newer series'. I'm fond of 00, and even though Seed/Destiny gets a lot of hate, I think they also sport their own charms. I wouldn't say I hated any Gundam series, although I certainly think some are far worse than others - for example, I don't much care for ZZ.

I can't wait for Unicorn to finish so I can watch it back-to-back. The animation and overall quality is stunning.

I feel the same way about everything except Gundam ZZ - I thought that was a genuinely great show once you got past the forst 13 or so episodes and it starts taking itself seriously. Other than that, I completely agree. Just out of curiousity, what did you think of Gundam X and Victory Gundam?

ShogunRok

On the subject of One Piece, I've never gotten into detail with it but I do know of it. It seems unique in both style and atmosphere, so it definitely interests me. I also know the author and Akira Toriyama have worked on a few projects together, so that vouches for the quality. Of the 'three big' anime/mangas, I think One Piece would interest me most. I watched quite a bit of Naruto when I was younger, but gradually lost interest. I collected a lot of the Bleach manga, but again, lost interest. Both series just tended to drag so tediously - I just couldn't keep either up.

I certainly hope if you ever pick up One Piece, you won't lose interest in it. I prefer watching the anime version, but I might recommend you read it so you can get the mini-stories that the series does reference as it goes on, but are generally NOT covered in the anime. I don't even know why, they make for great filler material.

ShogunRok

I also haven't seen Brotherhood but I've heard good things. The fact that it follows the manga more closely is a definite plus for me, as that's essentially the reason I was put off the original anime. I read the manga first, so watching the anime was like having the storyline I'd come to know and love be butchered right in front of my eyes. I suppose it'd be the same way if you watched the anime first, though.

Actually, I watched and loved the original FMA anime, and still thoroughly enjoyed Brotherhood. There were things I missed at first, but I got over it quickly once I realized how well it was being handled here. Definitely give it a watch if you find the time. Again, though, you might have a bit of a rough time getting through the beginning because it rushes things, but once it slows down, it's great.

Oh, and do you watch any mecha besides Gundam?

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

turtlelink

Anyone seen Casshern Sins? It's only 24 episodes so I might be watching that next once I finish Soul Eater.

TurtleLink's backloggery
Brawl FC: 4425-1340-4519
The Sister Complex Kingpin of Steel!

CanisWolfred
turtlelink

Anyone seen Casshern Sins? It's only 24 episodes so I might be watching that next once I finish Soul Eater.

Cowboy Bebop is 26 episodes, and is much better than Casshern Sins. O_O

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Rocko52

@CanisWolfred
Thinking of starting of watching Bebop.

ShogunRok

@CanisWolfred

Although Gundam X was completely different in a lot of respects, I thought it was well rounded and interesting. I wouldn't say it was one of Gundam's best but it's not bad by any means. Victory is pretty good because of how mature it is, I enjoyed that series quite a bit. Uso should be the standard in how to make a kid an endearing character.

When it comes to other mecha I honestly haven't watched much. Like I said in an earlier post I like Evangelion (specifically the new ones) and I watched the first season of Code Geass. Unfortunately I gave up on the second season, though.

ShogunRok

Twitter:

turtlelink
CanisWolfred
turtlelink

Cowboy Bebop is 26 episodes, and is much better than Casshern Sins. O_O

Oh ok thanks. Was curious cause one of my friends really liked it.

TurtleLink's backloggery
Brawl FC: 4425-1340-4519
The Sister Complex Kingpin of Steel!

CanisWolfred

Casshern Sins isn't bad, but I wouldn't suddenly make it a priority. It's awfully slow, like, it-should-only-be-12-episodes slow...

@Everyone - Do you check out anime reviews? If so, what places offer your favorite reviews? I rarely read anime reviews, but when I do, I usually read Shelf Life on Anime News Network. I agree with the writer of Shelf-Life more often than most (which really just means I agree with more than 2 reviews from the same person), but mostly I just find their reviews highly entertaining.

@Shogunrok

Ah, I see where we differ, now. While I mostly agree with you on Gundam X, I feel those qualities put it above the rest, placing it as one of the best TV series Gundam Anime in my eyes. As for Victory Gundam, again, I mostly agree, except I also thought it was super depressing. One of only 2 Gundam series I couldn't finish (though I really wanted to finish it, it was good, but I just tired of being sad every time I finished an episode). I take it you've yet to see Gundam Age?

If you don't mind watching some older anime, I highly recommend watching Fang of the Sun Dougram and Armored Trooper Votoms (as well as its various spin-offs and OVAs), which were created by Ryosuke Takahashi, who wrote the script to Gundam 0083: Stardust Memories. I would also recommend Blue Comet SPT Layzner, also created and written by Takahashi, but there's still 10 episodes left to be subbed, and at the rate it's being subbed, it'll be done by the end of the year...2016. Shame, since Layzner seems great as well. Luckily the final episode is already subbed thanks to Blue-fixer. (I really wish they'd take on the last 10 remaining episodes, but B-S has been formally disbanded. Sad, they were a good group, but they've moved on).

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

ShogunRok

@CanisWolfred

Gundam X was a weird one for me. I knew it was going to be different but I was surprised by how it still felt a hell of a lot like Gundam. Still a good series, but it just didn't resonate with me personally like 0083, 00, Z, or even Wing did.

Victory was really bloody depressing, but I've got a soft spot for animes that aren't afraid to kill off main characters. I think the death of characters is a powerful way to drive narrative IF it's used well, and Victory used it really well. I suppose it's another reason I like Gundam as a whole, there are always going to be glorious deaths.

And no, I've yet to see Gundam AGE. From what I understand, it got a truck full of hate from day one for being promoted as something similar to a kid's Gundam show, although I'm pretty sure that isn't the case as the story progresses. I've heard good things and bad things about the multiple time-spans it takes place in, with some being far better than others. I'll watch it someday, regardless.

What did you think of G Gundam? That's another series that gets a lot of hate for being different, yet it still has a strong and loyal fanbase.

Thanks for the recommendations as well, I'll look into them when I have some free time - especially the ones penned by Ryosuke Takahashi.

ShogunRok

Twitter:

CanisWolfred

G Gundam was glorious, but I still consider it one of my least favorite Gundam series, because it really does go against everything Gundam stands for in my eyes. It's a very high quality Super Robot show, however.

Gundam Age is the only one Gundam I honestly Didn't like. It was poorly paced, most of the story was forced, and the plot elements were all ripped from better shows that excecuted those elements more sensibly. It felt more like a Gundam knock off rather than an actual Gundam show, it's so unbelievably safe. I guess i'd say it's biggest crime isn't that it's kiddish, it's that it's simply not trying.

Btw, i saw Gundam Unicorn episode 6 yesterday. Freakin fantastic episode. The pacing was great this time! Still a little rushed in spots, but not too bad. I love where the story's going! I can't wait to see how things go in the finale.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

FullbringIchigo
CanisWolfred

@Everyone - Do you check out anime reviews? If so, what places offer your favorite reviews? I rarely read anime reviews, but when I do, I usually read Shelf Life on Anime News Network. I agree with the writer of Shelf-Life more often than most (which really just means I agree with more than 2 reviews from the same person), but mostly I just find their reviews highly entertaining.

yeah i do and i usually go here http://www.uk-anime.net/ it quite detailed i think plus the people who put me on to it were MangaUK the main distributor for anime in the UK

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

CanisWolfred

I decided to put Guilty Crown aside. I'll pick it back up eventually, since it seems like something I'd really like, but I just can't get myself to watch on Funimation's channel. Not for 22 episodes, at least.

Instead, I'm watching Broken Blade, a sci-fi/Fantasy mecha series about a world where everything is powered through Manipulable quartz "Magic". Unlike other shows, it's a series of "Movies", though each episode is only about 55 minutes long, so it's more like Gundam Unicorn and Code Geass: Akito the Exiled, where it's an OVA with theatrical showings. In fact, it came out around the time Gundam Unicorn did. It seems to be becoming a trend...and so far, I'm happy with it. In Broken Blade for instance, the level of detail in the mecha designs and animation really left me in awe. The way they move, the way the look, the way they get damaged, the way everything has weight to it - it really makes them seem so believable, and the action more intense! The story is good, too, at least so far. I don't know how much I should say about it, but I'm really getting intrigued. I can't wait to watch more. Too bad the episodes are longer than usual, otherwise I'd be halway done already.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

CanisWolfred

Out of curiousity, is anyone watching any currently-airing anime? I've been watching Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet, Majestic Prince, and Valvrave: The Liberator. Gargantia has been really good, while the other two have been good enough to continue watching. I also intend to pick up Yamato 2199 sooner than later.

As far as continuing series go, I recently started Doki Doki PreCure, which I am enjoying. I also intend to get caught up with Space Brothers, Saint Seiya Omega, and Hunter X Hunter, hopefully by the end of the season.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Epic

Any One Piece fans around here?
After catching up with the anime, I watch the latest episode every Sunday.
I was even considering to get the Pirate Warriors game but these are the kinda games I would really want to get physicaly, and isn't currently available at NA regions T_T.

Now I'm currently looking for more anime to watch on my free time.
Any suggestions?

PSN: Epic-ZX

PSN: Epic-ZX

neumaus

I don't like One Piece.
What genres do you prefer? It's hard to recommend if I don't know what you like. Be as specific as possible, please.

Only I know your pain.
Your uncertainty...
Your loneliness...
If only we could be together forever.

I'll say it as many times as you wish.
I will not betray you.

PSN: IAVTBOX

CanisWolfred
Epic

Any One Piece fans around here?
After catching up with the anime, I watch the latest episode every Sunday.
I was even considering to get the Pirate Warriors game but these are the kinda games I would really want to get physicaly, and isn't currently available at NA regions T_T.

Now I'm currently looking for more anime to watch on my free time.
Any suggestions?

One Piece is the only anime that gets anywhere near as much love from me as Gundam.

Have you tried Soul Eater? Hunter X Hunter (2011 ver.)? Gintama? Toriko?

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.