Forums

Topic: My Vita experience

Realportugeezer
Realportugeezer

• Jul 09, 2012

I got my Vita just over a week ago and thought I'd share my first impressions of the hardware and software. Feel free to provide feedback to my comments smile

The hardware itself is very impressive. I originally got myself a PSP 18 months after its initial launch and, although impressed by its near ps2 graphics, was annoyed by its bulk, weight and massive loading times (combined with the whirring noise of the flimsy UMDs).

The Vita is gorgeous! The touch screens work superbly, although the rear one should be used more in games due to its use not blocking the view of the screen. The OLED is sharp and demonstrates vibrant colours. The analogue sticks are a revelation, both in terms of having two sticks, but also in terms of being a leap year ahead of the PSP's effort.
The interface is slick and the PSstore actually feels organic and nowhere near as clunky as the effort on PSP.

Hardware wise I got a copy of Virtua Tennis with the Vita and it is superb. The graphics trump the ps3/360 version due to the brighter colours on screen, the animations are smooth and the various difficulty levels create thrilling and tight games. Definitely recommended for 20-25quid second hand. I haven't tried the online functionality yet though.

In terms of the PSstore sale recently, I got Daxter, God of War: Ghost of Sparta and Assassins Creed: Bloodlines for under £20.
I couldn't resist Daxter, seeming as it was one of the best PSP games. Glad to say it has aged well, the platforming is still superb and the Vita's big screen actually helps the visuals rather than showing its age.

God of war is still superb, no surprises here! A nice safe bet. Obviously nowhere near the ps3 releases which pushed the ps3 system so far but good fun for the train.

Assassin's Creed had mixed reviews at launch and you can see why. The mechanics of the game are pretty much the same as the original game for ps3. However, the unpredictable camera and 'automatic' climbing mechanics mean you have to play it a different way. It's a lot more stop-start than the console version though stopping to sort the camera out, but is in a word, FUN big_smile

Thought I'd share my experience with others and wondered if anyone else has some decent PSstore bargains to share. Cheers smile

Realportugeezer
KALofKRYPTON
KALofKRYPTON

• Jul 09, 2012

Cool.

I'm still more than happy with my Vita.

My only real disappointment game-wise is my recently aquired F1 2011. It's a little bare, and very ugly. The racing is good though.

KALofKRYPTON
Realportugeezer
Realportugeezer

• Jul 09, 2012

I had a good look at getting F1 2011 but saw the footage of the game and thought it looked a bit of a rush job.
PSP graphics, slightly choppy framerate and suspect AI. Will be picking up F1 2012 if they address the problems and make a decent career mode as per the ps3 version though smile

Realportugeezer
Marcus09
Marcus09

• Jul 09, 2012

I underestimated the vita and thought it wasn't as good.
It turned out to be the ultimate gamers experience!

All fear the man who has nothing to loose

Mandoble
Mandoble

• Jul 09, 2012

With Metal Gear HD I'm virtually allucinating. Hideo Kojima, what an incredible master of the video games he is (and underrated as well).

Mandoble
Slapshot
Slapshot

• Jul 10, 2012
Marcus09 wrote:

This is something I continue to hear over and over again.

3DS FC: 4382-2029-8015
All my News and Reviews in One convenient place!

KALofKRYPTON
KALofKRYPTON

• Jul 10, 2012
Slapshot wrote:
Marcus09 wrote:

This is something I continue to hear over and over again.

I had no doubt that the Vita would be a great machine, people tend to overlook the PSP in relation to Vita, It's the same market and the same audience. I loved my PSPs and had some amazing gaming on them. Still early days, but the Vita is delivering already. With the open nature of the platform and independant developers producing amazing titles (see Velocity) across the PlayStation family the only way is up!

KALofKRYPTON
Rambo-Hamster
Rambo-Hamster

• Jul 18, 2012

Recently got my Vita as well and I've only got one problem; I play it so much that I'm running out of games that interest me tongue

Already blasted through U:GA, MNR:RT, GR, Disgaea 3, and a majority of Motorstorm. I'm a finicky gamer so games like Unit 13 and Escape Plan, while good games in their own right, simply don't pique my interest. Just sittin' on my hands, waiting for P4G and AC3:L.....

Ego Sum Rex
PSN: Rambo-Hamster
Lover of JRPGs/SRPGs, Spurs fan, and a PlayStation aficionado
Now Playing: Persona 3 Portable (Vita), Disgaea 2: Dark Hero Days (Vita), Hustle Kings (Vita)

Mahra
Mahary

• Jul 18, 2012

I Got My Vita Yesterday at night Actually !!:)
at First I thought Its Okay the Vita Won't Be that Good !!
But After 5 Hours Of Playing i was Like this Vita Is AMAZING smile
So Far i'v Downloaded Some of the Demos smile & Mutant Blobs Attack & Paint & Some Free Games i found & Youtube ..ect smile
I Got Rayman Origins & Uncharted:GoldenAybss
I played Rayman Origins for 2 Hours or More  Man the Graphics are Soo Good & The Sound Track as Well !! its My Fav Game So Far tongue
I Haven't playing Uncharted yet neutral
But The Vita is an Amazing Portable smile I still have soo many games to Try big_smile

Last edited by Mahary (Jul 18, 2012)

Mahary
jbizzel84
jbizzel84

• Jul 30, 2012

i would just like to share my PS VITA experience:

i have had my vita for about two weeks now and i am impressed to say the least and there is still some features that i have yet to try out and i have been reading into some of these posts that people want the PS VITA to fail and i am sad to be reading these and i just want to say that those people that say these things ought to be ashamed of themselves and they should not bash the system if they own it. i mean everybody has a right to their own opinion and i am noone to censor anyone but people complain about bull that is out of their control and its just sad that people say these things about a system that for one just came out about 7 months ago and 2 the game library is small right now only because the game companies dont want to rush out their titles in case they fail. to sum it up there is potential for the PS VITA to grow and i dont read into all the bull that i see that PS VITA is not a superb handheld. i will wait patiently and reap the benifits of what it has to offer.

PSN: BiGjohnBlaze84

Last edited by jbizzel84 (Jul 30, 2012)

PSN id: BiGjohnBlaze84 (come play)

Strofan7
Strofan7

• Feb 26, 2013

Finally took the plunge and got my Vita. I decided this thread made sense to double as a "New Vita Owner" thread so here it is.

While the Vita always looked impressive, I just assumed I didn't really have any situations where I would use it instead of the PS3. Well...I'm moving to NY so the subway just gave me my reason! After playing around with it some I was definitely mistaken, it is so cool it finds a way into your hands even with the PS3 sitting in front of you. I knew I wanted one, but I severely underestimated how badly I wanted one until I actually had it. My girlfriend barely put it down all weekend. (She fancied Rayman Origins).

Ended up getting a used 3G model from a guy on craigslist, paired with 2 4GB memory cards and 4 games (Ragnorak Odyssey, Disgaea 3, MGS HD Collection, and Rayman Origins) all for $210. I consider it a steal!

I know its been said many times, but this is simply a machine you have to get into people's hands. NONE of my friends were interested in the Vita at all...until they saw me playing mine now they all want one. I think Sony is actually handling this the right way and eventually the sales will pick up. They keep having ridiculous game discounts on PSN/Plus and with the new flood(maybe not quite a flood) of quality games on the horizon this system is going to be just fine.

Personally, I bought it mainly for MLB the show but am already sure I'll use it for a whole lot more.

Last edited by Strofan7 (Feb 26, 2013)

Twitter-Strofan7PSN-Strofan7

Squiggle55
Squiggle55

• Feb 26, 2013

Wow that is quite a deal you got.

Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet. -Albert Einstein

Strofan7
Strofan7

• Feb 26, 2013

I agree. I've been tracking craigslist prices for awhile now but it wasn't until the last month or so they really became good deals. I talked to a few of the sellers and it seems they all loved the Vita but had burned through the types of games they liked on the system. The games simply weren't forcing them to hang on to the system even though they liked it.

Obviously I wasn't about to mention how many good ones are on the horizon wink haha

Twitter-Strofan7PSN-Strofan7

KALofKRYPTON
KALofKRYPTON

• Feb 27, 2013

I reaquired a Vita a few days ago, so glad I did.

Got the Black Ops pack- it's not really a game I'd go out of my way to recommend, but if you liked Unit 13 then think of it as an FPS version of that set up.

Playing Gravity Rush at the moment. It really is a wonderful game.

KALofKRYPTON
seeboss
seeboss

• Feb 27, 2013

I got a good gaming PC, xbox 360, tablet but right now I only play my Vita. I don't really get why people are bashing it. It got some good games and the hardware is great. I really look forward for this year, great games are coming.

seeboss
Squiggle55
Squiggle55

• Feb 27, 2013

Kal you ready to start up our chess match again?

Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet. -Albert Einstein

KALofKRYPTON
KALofKRYPTON

• Feb 28, 2013
Squiggle55 wrote:

Ha, yes Squig, well- I will be when my 32GB card arrives and I can download everything again!

If it's not here by friday then I won't get it until the end of March- as I'm off down under ;-)

KALofKRYPTON
NathanUC
nathanuc1988

• Mar 02, 2013
KALofKRYPTON wrote:
Squiggle55 wrote:

Ha, yes Squig, well- I will be when my 32GB card arrives and I can download everything again!

If it's not here by friday then I won't get it until the end of March- as I'm off down under ;-)

You could always run a backup using your PS3 and just restore once you put the new card in. Even though they aren't the same size, as long as the new card is bigger than your old used when doing the backup, it works fine. You might already know this, but thought I'd let you know just in case as re-downloading a bunch of games is annoying.

As for my PSV Experience... it's really been almost everything I expected out of it. I would like more remote play and cross-play, but the titles have been extremely satisfying, the future looks good, and the device is awesome. I just want a stick larger than 32gb!

Last edited by nathanuc1988 (Mar 02, 2013)

PSN/XBL/Steam: nathanuc1988Feel free to add me! (please, no blank friend requests.)

Board footer