Forums

Topic: AC3 attn to detail?

Posts 1 to 13 of 13

charlesnarles

So I just heard Connor pronounce 'Iroquois' how you would 'Renoir' or 'faux pas' and I can't get over it. I had assumed that everybody on earth, especially those employed in the industry, had played MGS2 enough to remember how it's pronounced. Somebody needs to be fired from their job as fact-checker for Ubisoft. The whole game is insulting to native Americans, considering 1) this all really happened to them and 2) we don't even remember it. I'm really sick of pseudo-historical fiction when the setting is more well-known to laymen playing the game than to the professional who thought it up. I long for a historically accurate 18th century sandbox rpg that isn't a joke or flat out inaccurate.

"Oh yeah? How 'bout I slap you and kill you?" - Curtis Ackers, SH: Homecoming

PSN: charlesnarles

Ginkgo

I am no expert on this topic. But the term 'Iroquois' is French, being the name they called the native Americans of the area (not the name they called themselves which I believe was Haudenosaunee). Therefore it is most likely that it was pronounced with a "kwa" sound at that time. The modern pronunciation is probably just a bastardisation by English speakers that has grown over the centuries.

They bothered to record many conversation in the tribe's native language, so my guess is that their attention to detail on this stuff was reasonably high.

Edited on by Ginkgo

This leaf from a tree in the East, has been given to my garden.
It reveals a certain secret, which pleases me and thoughtful people. - Goethe

Kage_88

Ugh, I hated ACIII.

Among many other things, I found it stupid how Ubisoft STILL got their timeframes mixed up to hell. I love how helping an NPC with a sidequest can conclude six months later, as if no time had passed at all. Also, the sporadic jumps in years whenever you embarked on a naval mission, only for the clock to be wound back when you finish.

Nintendo Network ID: KrissB

3DS: 2621-2629-6453

Xbox Live: GonkDroid88

PSN: Kriss_B

Steam ID: kage_88

GOG ID: KrissB

Feel free to add me!

JayArr

This reminds me of this woman I met a couple weekends ago.   

I was out at the bar with a couple buddies.   Things were pretty chill until I looked over at a table and see an attractive woman checking me out.   Actually, it was less checking out and more looking at me like a piece of prime meat that she is about to devour.  So we spend the next half hour giving each other eyes here and there, she occasionally chews on her straw and oh so subtly drags it across her lips.  grrrrrr....

Well I go to the rest room and on the way out I see her walking towards me.  Now is when I got my first real look at her.   She was petite and wearing a very tight and very short blue dress that hugged her perfect body in all the right spots.   Her knee-high leather boots had heels that made her seem a lot taller than she really was, but that helped me get a better look at her big beautiful eyes.  They were a deep but bright shade of blue like the caribbean sea, you could lost in eyes like that.  They complimented her fair skin perfectly. So she walked up and brushed a strand of her silky wavy blonde hair out of her face and tucked it behind ear.  She softly licked her full lips, my god those lips, and said,"I have been waiting for you come talk to me."  I replied, "Well I was enjoying all that tension but we can go talk now."   I put my hand on her lower back and we sat down at the bar, ditching our respective groups of friends. 

I won't bore you with all the conversation but we were seriously clicking.   You know when you first meet someone and feels like you have know them for years?  We had that going on..  We talked for couple hours over drinks occasionally talking about deep issues but mostly laughing.  There were lots of playful shoves, deep longing looks, and she would occasionally run hand along my thigh.  She was amazing and started to feel a serious connection with her and for once actually thought I had found a woman I could actually settle down with.  I was so completely into her I didn't even notice my friends leave, or anything in the bar for that matter.   

"So want to get out of here?"   "Yeah, I'll call a cab" 

As soon as we get outside and she shoves me against the wall, grabs my collar and pulls me down to her.   She brings my mouth right up next hers and pauses.   I am suddenly intoxicated by the fragrance of her perfume and I feel her soft breath caress my lips.  There is pure electricity and tension coursing through the space between our mouths.   My heart starts pounding and my pulse races until I cant take it.  I close the tiny gap and finally feel her soft lips pressing against mine .   We start kissing deeply passionately and my head is swimming.  I have never had even close to such a powerful first kiss, the feeling was so surreal.  Then I run my hand softly down her arm until I feel a little bump........

I break off the kiss and ask her, "What the hell is that?", gesturing towards the bump.  She looks at me dazed, drunk off of passion.  "What? Oh that's just a little wart." 

"That....is.....disgusting.   Why the hell don't you take care of that? "   I took two steps back.   I couldn't even stand to touch her and I started rubbing the hand that touched it on my pants trying to rub of the diseased filth. 

"Are you seriously being an ***hole about this!!?  It's just a little blemish!" 
"No, it's not.  It's a freaking disgusting growth and it makes me want to throw up.  I can't even look at you knowing that thing is on you."
"F*** you!! What the f*** is wrong with you?.  I can't believe you are such an ***hole.......etc.etc.etc. " 
She storms off.    The end...... her name was Chelsea or something.  Who cares.

I thought I met the perfect girl but she had a teeny tiny little flaw and you know what?   It completely ruined it.   Screw her.   Life is too short to waste any amount of time have amazing, beautiful, and fun experiences if they are not going to be just right in every way.   

tl:dr -   I agree with the opening post.  Every copy of AC3 should be thrown in the garbage because it is not absolute perfection.   Have some pride Ubisoft.   Sheesh

[insert 25 Cents here to play]

PSN: JR_Smitty

Ron_DelVillano

@JayArr, I was waiting for the relevance, and I think you nailed it.

Nintendo Life staff

I co-host a podcast about professional wrestling titled Blind Tag and I write/draw a daily webcomic about a werewolf in high school named Duane.

PSN: derBesen | Twitter:

Squiggle55

Not that it matters, but it was a French given name, so I don't see any reason why someone wouldn't have used the French pronunciation back then. Right?

Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet. -Albert Einstein

Kage_88

@JayArr - No, I hated ACIII because of its many, MANY flaws.

(I should note though that I played it on Wii U, which is the same as PS3/X360 from what I've read).

First, the glitches. My god, the glitches. During the course of my playthrough, I was literally forced to restart the game/console *19 times* because of freezing. On top of that, there is the litany of visual farts - including texture pop-up, disappearing/reappearing NPCs, ugly shadows, and (in one instance) the game spawning *three* Achilles models *at the same time*. I've also had a land-convoy permanently locked in 'attacked' status, with me unable to do anything about it. Hell, check my posts on Miiverse - where I've posted many glitchy pictures.

The basic structure of the game is horrendous as well. Story missions are scripted to high hell; with experimentation being rewarded with failure. Trying to acheive 100% sync in these missions is simply atrocious. I still remember the part where Connor must rescue a drowning man. One of the conditions the player must achieve for 100% sync? Don't go in the water. How do you finish the mission? *By diving in the friggen water.*

Also, what the hell is with all these side missions? Managing trade and finances? Searching for Almanacs? Sailing the east-coast waters? Helping a canuk get laid? Stabbing animals via QTEs? The game is crammed with so much superficial stuff, it has lost focus on the heart of the AC series - the assassinations.

What sickens me is that Ubisoft have been crowing about how ACIII was ther biggest, and most expensive game ever - with their super-duper AnvilNext engine that brings 'next-gen' gaming to the current gen. Seriously? This game represents everything that is wrong with the AAA games industry; a heaving, grunting mass of 1s and 0s that threatens to collapse under its own weight.

Indeed, this game was almost the catalyst in me boycotting Ubisoft altogether (joining Bethesda).

So yes, this games was far more than a 'wart' on a pretty girl.

Feel free to add me!

NathanUC

I.. I really like AC3

I haven't had any glitches yet other than the occasional situation where Conor get's "stuck" trying to climb. Maybe this is just a difference between the PS3 and Wii U build though.

Even if it wasn't completely accurate, it's a video game not a text book. Maybe I just feel this isn't important because I've always hated US history growing up. What I like about AC3 is that I feel like there's a lot to do compared to the other games. I'm probably only half done with the game so far, but I'm looking forward to finding time to continue

Also, I wanted to point out the 3D visuals in this game are very well done! It's no Killzone 3, but it's a lot better than most other games.

Edited on by NathanUC

To save our Mother Earth from any alien attack
From vicious giant insects who have once again come back
We'll unleash all our forces we won't cut them any slack
The EDF deploys!!

Kage_88

@nathanuc1988 - Hey, I'm glad you enjoy the game! I definitely don't want to spoil anyone's fun

Also, I DID like how the American Revolution was portrayed. I like how key historical figures were treated with the greatest historical accuracy possible - warts and all. It's wasn't just 'Americans = good' and 'British = bad'. I especially liked Shaun's snarky and realist observations.

Feel free to add me!

charlesnarles

lol you're right; he would have used the French military's pidgin butchering instead of the name that each tribe had individually created to refer to the group of peoples inhabiting what became New England. I also definitely was talking about anything other than the words I wrote, eg. the gameplay mechanics at all.
Totes appy polly logies, y'all.

charlesnarles

P.S. a gross thing on some bimbo's neck would indeed ruin her for me. Perhaps my standards are just far too high because I dislike things that are off-putting.

• Page 1 of 1

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.