Forums

Topic: PS3 12GB slim same OS/apps as prior PS3 consoles?

Posts 1 to 12 of 12

rjejr

I've been trying for months to decide what streaming device to get to hook up to my tv - Chromecast, Nexus Player, Roku 3 or Stick, PS TV, FireTV - but they all have limitations. I want Netflix, HBO Go, Hulu Plus and Amazon (have Prime) and a few game diversions would be nice.

So today I realize PS3 is great at all that, and I can buy 1 for $199 which includes Disney Infinity 2.0 which I've been meaning to try out.

http://smile.amazon.com/Disney-Infinity … ity+bundle

Now I really don't like the new sliding top design, and 12GB is extremely limited - my 500GB has only 123GB free - but if it has all the other streaming stuff like my old PS3 has, and plays blu rays and DVDs, it might be the way to go. I assume it does, but I also assumed PS TV would have Netflix et al, yet somehow it doesn't. And Nintedo came out w/ a Wii Mini which completely lacks internet. So I just want to make sure this is a real honest to goodness PS3 and not some gimped atrocity. 

Yes, I know there is a $400 new PS4 console out, but my limit is closer to $100. I'm only considering this b/c DI 2.0 is worth $50 to me, and I'm hoping I can move all my save points over from my old PS3 and let the kids monopolize that system and I can play on this one in my bedroom. I did consider a new PS4 this year w/ the Lego Batman 3 and LBP3 bundle but $400 is still $200 too much. I'll wait for the Uncharted 4 bundle next Christmas, who knows maybe $299 Black Friday

Someday we'll find it
The rainbow connection
The lovers, the dreamers and me

KidRyan

I'm also waiting for a $300 PS4, even if it's not a bundle. Sadly I don't see that happening until Black Friday 2016, not 2015.

As for your original question, the 12GB PS3 should be the same as the bigger models performance wise.

Finally, if you will need more than 12GB, you could swap it out for a bigger Internal HDD (Hard Drive).

Edited on by KidRyan

My Anime List | My Video Game Collection

Discord ID: KidRyan89 | Telegram ID: KidRyan

PSN: KidRyan89 | Twitter:

rjejr

ToddlerNaruto wrote:

I'm also waiting for a $300 PS4, even if it's not a bundle. Sadly I don't see that happening until Black Friday 2016, not 2015.

As for your original question, the 12GB PS3 should be the same was the bigger models performance wise.

Finally, if you will need more than 12GB, you could swap it out for a bigger Internal HDD (Hard Drive).

Thanks for the feedback. Got my new PS3 for Christmas and fortunayely it does seem the same as my old phat, just half the size. Im going to put the old 80GB from my phat in it as it will mostly be a multimedia device so I think 80GB will be enough, just waiting on the bracket.

PS4 will be $299 BF. Maybe $349 w/ a $50 GC (which is how I bought my Wii U). Will be interesting to see what games are out by then if its a must by. I wont buy w/o Uncharted 4 and FFXV or KH3 or The Last Guardian. On the flipside if Wii U miraculously gets Zelda U and Xenoblade Chronicles X and Starfox by next Chirstmas I may not have time for a PS4.

Someday we'll find it
The rainbow connection

KidRyan

rjejr wrote:

ToddlerNaruto wrote:

As for your original question, the 12GB PS3 should be the same as the bigger models performance wise.

Thanks for the feedback. I got my new PS3 for Christmas and fortunately it does seem the same as my old phat, just half the size. I'm going to put the old 80GB from my phat in it as it will mostly be a multimedia device so I think 80GB will be enough, just waiting on the bracket.

PS4 will be $299 BF. Maybe $349 w/ a $50 GC (which is how I bought my Wii U). Will be interesting to see what games are out by then if its a must by. I wont buy w/o Uncharted 4 and FFXV or KH3 or The Last Guardian. On the flipside if Wii U miraculously gets Zelda U and Xenoblade Chronicles X and Starfox by next Chirstmas I may not have time for a PS4.

I doubt 80GB will last you long, assuming you use your PS3 for other things like watching shows etc. That's like 16 games worth of HDD space. I only have a 160GB, and I'm always having to delete older games to make room for newer ones.

That would be awesome if the PS4 was on sale for $300 New during Black Friday 2015, but I'm not getting my hopes up. Besides, I'm trying to save up money for both a Wii U and 3DS currently anyways.

rjejr

ToddlerNaruto wrote:

I doubt 80GB will last you long, assuming you use your PS3 for other things like watching shows etc. That's like 16 games worth of HDD space. I only have a 160GB, and I'm always having to delete older games to make room for newer ones.

80GB should be fine, this is just my bedroom streaming PS3 for Amazon Prime, HBOgo and the occasional light gaming like Minecraft, I have a 500GB in the living room for gaming. I only wanted a Roku or Chromecast but got carried away and bought a PS3 instead.

Someday we'll find it
The rainbow connection

get2sammyb

rjejr wrote:

ToddlerNaruto wrote:

80GB should be fine, this is just my bedroom streaming PS3 for Amazon Prime, HBOgo and the occasional light gaming like Minecraft, I have a 500GB in the living room for gaming. I only wanted a Roku or Chromecast but got carried away and bought a PS3 instead.

The PS3 is one of the best multimedia boxes out there anyway, so I think you picked well. I'm sure the Blu-ray will come in handy, too.

rjejr

get2sammyb wrote:

The PS3 is one of the best multimedia boxes out there anyway, so I think you picked well. I'm sure the Blu-ray will come in handy, too.

Yeah, I really just wanted a streaming Roku or Fire TV, but w/ an ethernet port (my wi-fi sucks) optical out, blu ray and DVD enhanced to faux 1080p, plus a 4th PS3 controller for gaming (already had 3) plus Disney Infinity Marvel 2.0 (I'd value that package at $50, not the $75 MSRP) all for only $180, I just couldn't NOT buy it. (I really tried for days not to spend $180 on another PS3 w/ the $400 PS4 out but the value was just too good). And the HBO go app, which Fire TV finally got about 1 day after I purchased the PS3. And now when my old PS3 dies - it's 5 or 6 years old, it's due - I still have 1 to game. And I can play Minecraft w/ my kids w/o having to be in the same room as them, they are SO LOUD!!

Thanks for the feedback and good to see you back at work, PS didn't have a new article posted for almost 24 hours. There's normally 4 or 5 when I wake up Monday mornings - which is noon your time.

Edit Actually it wasn't $180, it was only $170 - $169.99 - so I calculated $100 for the multimedia box, $30 for the extra DualShock 3 (which I was going to buy a PS TV bundle for until they left off Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime, and $40 for Disney Infinity Marvel 2.0. I just couldn't pass it up. PS4 can wait.

Edited on by rjejr

Someday we'll find it
The rainbow connection

KidRyan

rjejr wrote:

You're so lucky , I only have my 160GB PS3 and it's the older slim model, not the newer super slim T_T.

Not to mention my mom bought it used and I had to replace the Blu-Ray Drive after only 2-3 years of constant use.

rjejr

ToddlerNaruto wrote:

You're so lucky , I only have my 160GB PS3 and it's the older slim model, not the newer super slim T_T.

Not to mention my mom bought it used and I had to replace the Blu-Ray Drive after only 2-3 years of constant use.

Yes, I am very lucky, but I'ld rather have the older slim model, I hate the way the newer slim top opens to put discs in and out, and overall it feels cheap. But I also bought a new PS3 b/c I was afraid of my old PS3 dieing. I have about 2 dozen PS2 games on disc but no PS2 to play them, it's like a gamers graveyard. I was holding out hope that the PS4 mght be able to play them seeing as how powerful Sony says it is. Maybe the PS5 will play them someday

Someday we'll find it
The rainbow connection

KidRyan

rjejr wrote:

Yes, I am very lucky, but I'ld rather have the older slim model, I hate the way the newer slim top opens to put discs in and out, and overall it feels cheap. But I also bought a new PS3 b/c I was afraid of my old PS3 dieing. I have about 2 dozen PS2 games on disc but no PS2 to play them, it's like a gamers graveyard. I was holding out hope that the PS4 might be able to play them seeing as how powerful Sony says it is. Maybe the PS5 will play them someday

Nice to see another mate that prefers the original slim over super variation.

I still own my PS2 Slim, though it's not the first PS2 console I owned. My first PS2 was a phat my mom gave me on my 12th birthday in 2001.

SaiyanFury

@rjejr: This is obviously very late to this conversation, but I've had the original PS3 60GB model (4 of them from failures) and one super slim model. Yes the slim model feels cheap, but that's because it's designed on the cheap. Sony designed it that way to save money on production. I'm not crazy about the top slider slot versus a motorised disc slot, but it's cheaper so it is that. Now to flex a bit of my tech muscle. If you want the best streaming device in the near future, I must recommend the Roku 3. It has every major application ranging from Netflix to Hulu to Youtube to Crunchyroll. The Amazon TV possessed the most processing muscle, but is sort of limited. Amazon views things like Crunchyroll as a competitor and won't allow a direct installation of said application. You CAN sideload it, but it's a might of a pain. The Roku 3 is the most powerful version of said devices in that range, and as such runs things much better. AND you can have Crunchyroll. As an avid watcher of animes and dramas from Asia, The Roku 3 is the best. Only just, but just that much better.

Sitting in the silence... Everlasting night breeze...
Kurasugite mienai dake sa... ...
Sitting in the silence...
Dream Scape

rjejr

@SaiyanFury: Thanks. I did go ahead and get a 12GB PS3 last Christmas, and it does look and feel very cheap, but it has HBO go, Amazon Prime, Netflix, and Hulu, which is pretty much all I need. And I do use it as an indie game machine occasionally. Thought I would use it more than I do, but I don't.

Someday we'll find it
The rainbow connection

• Page 1 of 1

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.