Forums

Topic: Fanboyism and You

Posts 1 to 17 of 17

Tasuki

Hello Pushsquarers,

So a quick post of some things that I have been seeing alot of lately and so has Sammy. As always this is not directed at one particular user but the community as a whole.

Let me start of by saying I am really excited to see how much Pushsquare has grown in the past few weeks and I want to thank all of you for helping with that, it was exciting to see an article get 700 comments the other day . However as we continue to grow a few things tend to crop up, which is just the nature of the site growing.

One thing I have noticed in the past few days is a rise of what I call fanboyism. Now I realize that Pushsquare is a Playstation fan site and it will attract a majority of Sony fanboys as well as it's fair share of Xbox and Nintendo fanboys as well. While we encourage civil discussions of each brand and comparisons between brands after all its a big part of the game industry what we will not tolerate is fanboyism to the degree that it disrupts a thread or an article.

So what is not tolerated?

Basically posting a comment for the sake of starting a flame war.
I noticed this in the article about the recent PSN outage, stuff like "oh this is why Sony sucks and Xbox is better and Quit crying you Sony babies". Under no circumstances will this be tolerated at all, there should be no reason for that sort of thing to be posted in an article about Sony getting hacked after all MS is not invincible either and the same thing can happen to them, not only that but it is irrelevant to the article and it just starts fights across the board and then Sammy and I have to clean up the article. If I do see comments like this they will be edited and or deleted and the poster will be talked to at the very least.

Creating a new thread to start an argument
Pretty much the same thing as above but creating a thread to do so. If I do see threads with titles like Xbox sucks or Nintendo is crap etc I will delete them and the poster will be punished in an appropriate way.

Now I understand that some of what has been going on lately is due to new users who just came around cause of the outages and some others to poke fun at Sony but this goes for any article or thread from now on, in fact it has been a community rule that starting a thread or posting a comment to start an argument is not allowed. If I catch any user be it a new one or one that has been with us since the beginning they will be punished. Also we can tell the difference between playful banter and down right posting something to start an argument. Also, I dont care who starts the argument if you fire back in a negative way you will subject to punishment as well. If someone does post something to start an argument just like I said in my previous post let it go if you want feel free to report the post and we will take it from there.

I know that we will never be able to get rid of fanboyism but we can at least control it a bit. Let's not sink to there level, I know that we all care about our favorite brands passionately, but in the end we are all gamers and that's is what matters.

Yes this is a Playstation fan site but you don't have to LOVE Playstation to be a part of the community but you do have to show respect to your fellow gamers.

Please take this as a warning cause that is what this is. If you have any questions or comments please leave them below and I will answer them as soon as I can. If Sammy or any of the other staff wants to add something they may as well.

Thank you all and let's keep making a Pushsquare a great place for Playstation fans and gamers alike.

Tasuki

Pushsquare Moderator

Edited on by antdickens

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

TOMBOY25

well now i like ps4............and i like xbox one but which is better?

harry-hill-tv-burp-fight-o.gif

wait? what? no fighting? awwwwwwwww

TOMBOY25

PSN: TOMBOY25

themcnoisy

I only thought about this after replying to your comment on an article a few days ago when you wanted to buy an x1. I wrote my comment on a mobile without really thinking 😔 I stand by my thoughts and feelings but it wasn't too constructive. I could of wrote it a billion times better without sounding belligerent. As a gaming fan, xbox have made great strides to win us back and that has to be commended so unless a company (Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo) really balls up again Im only going to temper my comments in relation to the sony business articles.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

Gamer83

There's an article on PushSquare that got 700 comments?

Gamer83

thatguyEZ

This is good news, fanboys are the worst kind of people. Though I tend to see more fanboy comments on NintendoLife, I've still seen them here as well.

Glad to see you guys taking the time to knock the fanboys out of articles and threads though.

thatguyEZ

PSN: NanoNekomata | Twitter:

arnoldlayne83

@thatguyEZ: Agree. Here the discussion is normally very calm. Nintendolife is packed with N-fanboys, do not dare to criticize the company and its products or you will be assaulted by an army of Mario's Zealots....

psn: markthesovver83 ; Nnid: arnoldlayne83

PSN: markthesovver83

darkswabber

And you're completely right!
I personally read both nintendolife and pushsquare and since not to long ago purexbox too even though I do not own any xbox device. I enjoy reading all 3 of them and I always felt like the 3 sites are family, they share the same accounts, and this the readers should treat each other as family.

darkswabber

PSN: darkswabber | Twitter:

SteveButler2210

Unfortunately I think this will be a side effect of the site's continued growth, as more people become aware of the site, inevitably some less pleasant sorts will sign up simply with the intention of causing trouble. But, if we as a community play by the rules and deal with these things constructively, we should be able to keep it under control comfortably.

I hope so at least, I think one of the best elements of the community here is that a lot of the time we do have very different opinions, but mostly we are all grown up enough to discuss these without it degenerating to that level, even if we still disagree at the end of it! I love this site specifically for its' pleasant atmosphere and general lack of conflict/abuse. I'd hate to see it become inundated with that sort of thing in the same way as other sites like PSLifestyle and IGN.

From 16/08/15 I’m going for sober for six months to raise money for the Princess Alice Hospice. Donations can be made here and anything you can offer is greatly appreciated: https://www.justgiving.com/Stephen-Butler5

Wish me luck!

[url=http://psnprofiles.com/SteveButler2210][/url...

PSN: SteveButler2210

ZeD

"Creating a new thread to start an argument"
This is VERY vague in my opinion. Someone's honest opinion could end up as an argument due to other's comments - how is this going to be controlled? Close the post and end what should have been a good discussion? It may take a little more work but I recommend just removing posts that take the discussion else where.

Also @Tasuki, do you see the error here?
"Let's not sink to there level"

ZeD

PSN: KratosRisesAgain | Twitter:

SteveButler2210

@ZeD: personally I don't think it's all that vague. I think there's a big difference between posting a topic and stating a divisive, but well considered, opinion with the clear intent of discussing it, and posting something inflammatory purely to get a reaction out of people where you clearly have no intention of having a reasonable discussion on the matter.

In fairness, I don't think these sorts of thing come up all too often, but I reckon it's normally pretty clear to see whether it's one or the other.

From 16/08/15 I’m going for sober for six months to raise money for the Princess Alice Hospice. Donations can be made here and anything you can offer is greatly appreciated: https://www.justgiving.com/Stephen-Butler5

Wish me luck!

[url=http://psnprofiles.com/SteveButler2210][/url...

PSN: SteveButler2210

themcnoisy

@ZeD: The thread was created in 2014. I replied as I told Tasuki not to get an x1 on an article recently and I was out of order.

Edited on by Tasuki

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

Tasuki

@themcnoisy It's ok I got were you were coming from and I agree Microsoft has pulled some shady stuff but honest in this day and age who doesnt. Point being I am not going to deny myself great games because they are on X system. Heck my dream would be to have every system imaginable. But anyway this thread is going a bit off track now and the point of this thread is made in the first post no need to carry on.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

• Page 1 of 1

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.