Forums

Topic: PS Vita vs PSP

Posts 1 to 12 of 12

Scollurio

Hey folks,
I'm owning a Vita for quite some while now and I always was really happy with it, sure games were slow but what did come I mostly liked (not that games did come any faster on 3DS for over a year now). Only a few days in the past, I met a friend, who introduced me to his PSP. I always was in the Nintendo-handheld-camp and had no idea about the PSP. To my excitement and shock I realized that this little machine, being 10 years old (launch in Japan) still produces on-par or even better graphics than the 3DS today. Stunning. I had a testrun of a few games and came away impressed. Not only do I prefer weight and shape over the Vita, I was also really impressed by the HUGE and diverse game library. So many third parties, almost every big blockbuster game got a spin at a PSP version of their franchise. Wow.

It reminded me of the days when EVERYTHING (in lacking shape more often than not though) was coming to the Gameboy and later the Gameboy Advance. It reminded me of the glorydays of handheld gaming. Upon further inspection of all its features and the feel when using the PSP, I decided to get one, the late slim model. Games are dirt-cheap and for a handheld still look the part in my opinion.

Only NOW I got an idea of how much of a failure the Vita really is! Don't get me wrong, I love the Vita but compared to the support the PSP obviously had, this is just sad. I refuse to accept the "death" of first party support for the Vita (at least concerning big games) but what can I do? I'll dig though a massive backlog of great games I never played before on the PSP and I've heard the PSP is great on the "homebrew software" front too. What are your thoughts? Game-wise, I'd say, the PSP easily wins and what good are the best graphics and processing power, if no one makes games for it hm? ;(

#supportindies
Top 5 Indies I'd recommend you try: #1 Lovecraft's Untold Stories, #2 Moonlighter, #3 Hotline Miami, #4 Inside, #5 Into the Breach.

PSN: Scollurio | Twitter:

JJ2

There r great Psp games from PS store I play on my Vita and yes some people kinda dismiss psp games for some reason but there quite a few worth playing on Vita I think I guess more. Psp games couls be available on ps store

The crowd, accepting this immediately, assumed the anti-Eurasian posters and banners everywhere were the result of acts of sabotage by agents of Goldstein and ripped them from the walls.

eaglebob345
Scollurio

what good are the best graphics and processing power, if no one makes games for it hm? ;(

To gloat about, clearly. XD

eaglebob345

ztpayne7

I think also the psp didn't have to compete as much with cell phones. Sadly.

ztpayne7

Scollurio
ztpayne7

I think also the psp didn't have to compete as much with cell phones. Sadly.

Thats true..

#supportindies
Top 5 Indies I'd recommend you try: #1 Lovecraft's Untold Stories, #2 Moonlighter, #3 Hotline Miami, #4 Inside, #5 Into the Breach.

PSN: Scollurio | Twitter:

Gamer83

PSP will probably end up my favorite handheld system ever and it wasn't a machine I used just strictly for video games. I have a couple memory sticks just dedicated to music. The Vita is a victim of circumstance it seems. I'd imagine it costs less to just port games over to the mobile devices which we see a lot of companies doing, rather than build games ground up for a device that simply isn't selling. Of course, Sony's pricing structure didn't help the Vita any nor was it helped by the fact that since it was capable of 'console gaming on the go' developers took that to heart and literally just transferred their console games over. I think with the right price, the right advertising and spinoffs to big series (something along the lines of San Andreas Stories) the Vita could've been at least a moderate success but it is what it is. I actually think the Vita is better than it gets credit for, I've bought a ton of games for it, but it's pretty clear at this point it will never reach the highs PSP once managed.

Gamer83

Reverend_Skeeve

I honestly think the high prices for its memory card hurt the Vita a lot. I was considering to buy one occasionally over the years, but every time I checked the prices and sizes of the cards, I went "Nope, no way!".

Reverend_Skeeve

Gamer83

$80 for 32GB of memory, $40 for 16GB. Those are the only two viable options and while the current prices are better than the initial ones, it's still beyond stupid.

Gamer83

Punished_Boss_84

PSP = PS Vita. I would give powerful hardware to PS Vita but thats useless as no game takes advantage of that untapped potential. Everything else (media) = PSP <> PS Vita.

"They played us like a damn fiddle!" - MGS5
"Finish your mission, prove your loyalty." - MGS3
"We could take a s*** on you from such a height, you'd think God himself has crapped on you!" - GTA: SA
Currently Playing: The Phantom Pain.

PSN: lengendaryboss

Vincent294
Gamer83

PSP will probably end up my favorite handheld system ever and it wasn't a machine I used just strictly for video games. I have a couple memory sticks just dedicated to music. The Vita is a victim of circumstance it seems. I'd imagine it costs less to just port games over to the mobile devices which we see a lot of companies doing, rather than build games ground up for a device that simply isn't selling. Of course, Sony's pricing structure didn't help the Vita any nor was it helped by the fact that since it was capable of 'console gaming on the go' developers took that to heart and literally just transferred their console games over. I think with the right price, the right advertising and spinoffs to big series (something along the lines of San Andreas Stories) the Vita could've been at least a moderate success but it is what it is. I actually think the Vita is better than it gets credit for, I've bought a ton of games for it, but it's pretty clear at this point it will never reach the highs PSP once managed.

Yep, though I never got a PSP. All I know is my friends have them and they're amazing.

Vincent294

Gamer83
VincentV
Gamer83

Yep, though I never got a PSP. All I know is my friends have them and they're amazing.

Had some excellent games for its time, that's for sure. My favorites are actually some of the earlier releases. Twisted Meta: Head-On, Lumines, Ridge Racer, Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror, GTA: Liberty City Stories and my favorite ever handheld racer Burnout Legends. And for JRPG fans, it was definitely a great system to own.

Gamer83

jmburks

My friend has a modded PSP that he put a emulator on and plays games from every system from that era. He even plays pokemon on it. Defintely a cool handheld. I had one for a while when it first came out and really enjoyed it.

Own: PS4 and PS Vita
PSN- XTheMinisterX
Currently playing-
Call of duty Ghosts....PS4
OlliOlli and Rainbow Moon...PS Vita

PSN: XTheMinisterX

• Page 1 of 1

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.