Forums

Topic: Kingdoms of Amalur IP auction set for next month

Posts 1 to 20 of 21

Tasuki

Came across this interesting article about Kingdoms of Amalur's IP coming up for sale next month.

In case you didn't know KoA was a game designed by former MLB pitcher Curt Schilling that appeared on PS3 and the Xbox 360.

It was actually it pretty fun game and I for one enjoyed it alot so natural when I heard that the sequel was cancelled due to the financial problems of Big Huge Games I was not happy.

Well next month KoA IPs will be auctioned off so hopefully we will see a sequel at some point.

Anyone else like KoA and is interested in seeing a sequel?

http://www.gamespot.com/news/kingdoms-o … er-6415056

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

Madd_Hatter401

I know of curt schilling because I'm a massive Red Sox fan and I also know of schillings failed company because I'm from providence Rhode Island and he took a lot of tax payers money here to begin his failed company. It's a shame if this franchise is not continued because it is a brilliant concept. I feel curt and his company chose a horrid time to release KoA and that's mainly the reason for its downfall. This is a franchise worthy of future installments no doubt.

Madd_hatter401 Proud owner of: PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, PS Vita, Xbox one, Xbox 360, 3DS, Nintendo 64, Gameboy advance, Sega, and Sega Nomad.

PSN: Madd_hatter401 | Twitter:

MadchesterManc

Ive had KoA on my Ps3 since it was listed on PS+ and I dont intend to delete it. I bought it back at launch too but I got swamped by other releases at the time. Wouldn't mind a sequel myself as its actually one of only a few western RPG's that Ive enjoyed playing through this generation. Lets hope someone picks up the IP that are gonna make good use of it.

http://www.otakugamers.uk
https://twitter.com/OtakuGamersUK

"Love is a device invented by bank managers to make us overdrawn" AJ Rimmer

PSN: MadchesterManc | Twitter:

Splat

I loved KOA! A sequel would be awesome...

"What do you reckon, we're gonna have to climb that thing?" ~ Chloe Frazer

"I reckon I'M gonna have to climb that thing." ~ Nathan Drake

PSN: Splathew

Epic

Depending on who gets it this might turn out really interesting.

PSN: Epic-ZX

PSN: Epic-ZX

Madd_Hatter401

@Epic, which company would you like to see pick this title up? I  thought about this a bit... I think this would be a good one for 2K games to snatch up and be super creative with.

Madd_hatter401 Proud owner of: PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, PS Vita, Xbox one, Xbox 360, 3DS, Nintendo 64, Gameboy advance, Sega, and Sega Nomad.

PSN: Madd_hatter401 | Twitter:

Splat

As long as they leave the combat alone I don't really care. Just somebody please pick it up...

Edited on by Splat

Squiggle55

I don't know exactly what ultimately led to this game failing. Maybe there wasn't enough awareness of the game. Maybe it came out at a bad time. All I know is I was looking forward to it and I was turned off by the buggy demo. That could not have helped.

Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet. -Albert Einstein

Tasuki

@Ryno:  Interesting stuff there.

Also I heard that his house will be up for action as well beginning at 3 million. 

As for who I want to get the KoA license I wouldn't mind someone like Bioware getting it.

My Backlog

Rogueleader76

I love this game.  The fighting system and the ability to customize your abilities/skills is fun!  Right now I'm working on making a Shadowmage.  I'd love to see a sequel to this game.

PSN: rogueleader76

Tasuki

Well an update to the ongoing KoA saga.  According to Gamespot the auction for 38 studio's assets is next months with one of them being the rights to a sequel to KoA as well as the MMO project that they were working on at the time of their bankruptcy.

Also it appears several studios are looking to pick up the assets so we could possible see a sequel in the future.  Not sure if this is good or bad news but I guess it all depends on who gets it.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/multip … 0-6416290/

My Backlog

ET83_phone_home

I didn't get KoA until it became a free download on PSN a few months ago. However, long before I played KoA, I read A LOT about Curt Schilling and the implosion - I daresay scandal - of Big Huge Games in May 2012 from multiple media channels. Unfortunately, I think many of the issues with KoA and the shutdown of Big Huge Games had less to do with external factors like market forces, but rather, boiled down to Curt Schilling's (mis)management and dishonesty with both his stakeholders and staff. Millions of dollars of capital were raised by private investors and given in the form of government tax breaks to a company that kept selling everyone on a product, that from what I read, didn't really exist. Even at the pinnacle of the bankruptcy suit, the only glimpses of Copernicus available after several years of development were a few grainy screenshots - absolutely no gameplay, mechanics, or tangible environments were available. That tells me that not only did the Emperor have no clothes, but he was also several million dollars in debt.

As for the game itself, I was pleasantly surprised with the improvement from the initial demo, but after about 50 hours into the game, I put it down and haven't looked back. I found there to be no sense of real and meaningful progression. I'd keep moving from one zone to another repeating the same types of quests. It felt like a by-the-numbers MMO, with only one person on the server at a time. That's not to say I didn't find the art style compelling, and the combat spot-on. I think disconnect exists mostly because Big Huge Games took a single player RPG that was already under development at THQ and retrofitted it as an introduction to their new IP. While I hope that another developer picks up KoA, because there was the glimmer of a solid game, I wouldn't purchase a sequel unless a future developer addressed these huge gaps in game design. Also, I think the IP can only be salvaged into a single-player game. MMOs are already incredibly expensive to develop, produce and recoup a profit on compared to non-multiplayer games. If a developer can break KoA down into the core elements that made it enticing, cast off the extraneous elements that were just filler, and craft a polished single-player RPG, then there could be a chance for the IP to truly shine.

Edited on by ET83_phone_home

PSN: ET83_phone_home

Splat
Tasuki

Well apparently no one wanted the Kingdom of Amular IP. 

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/38-stu … 0-6416719/

Kinda of sad really cause I really liked the game and I was hoping that someone would scoop up the IP and make the sequel.  Guess that just wasn't meant to be.

Imnotcryingitsjustrainfallingonmyfa.gif

Zodiak13

Only game on Xbox 360 I put more than 60+ hours on (didn't own a PS3 til February this year). It was like WoW gameplay by myself and a very interesting world and story. I have read it was superior on the PS3, is that true anyone?? If so I may play it if only to dust off the PS3, because of the 5 games I wanted for it, only Ni No Kuni held my interest. I for one hope someone picks it up and doesn't change to much with its formula. I also hope that Microsoft doesn't buy it, because then I will never get to play it, I am skipping their console this generation. At least if it comes out on PS4 I know eventually there will be 5 games I want for it so that I will buy that system.

Edited on by Zodiak13

Gotta catch them... eh, nevermind.

shingi_70
Tasuki

Well apparently no one wanted the Kingdom of Amular IP. 

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/38-stu … 0-6416719/

Kinda of sad really cause I really liked the game and I was hoping that someone would scoop up the IP and make the sequel.  Guess that just wasn't meant to be.

The first game was good but I don't think anyone was in need of the franchise since nearly every major publisher has a WRPG or Fantasy RPG franchise or one with WRPG conventions I guess.

Take Two- Elder Scrolls
Warner Bros- The Lord of The Rings
EA- Dragon Age
Microsoft- Fable
Square enix- Deus EX
Activision- World of Warcraft (with that said suprised a single player Warcraft game hasn't been announced
Ubisoft- Might and Magic
Capcom- Dragon's Dogma
Nintendo- Xeno

The only of the Major guys I could think of is up and commer Deep Silver and they're MO ths year is too publisher games from developers, and only buy when they can get a development team as well as the IP.

EA, the MMO they were working on, and the state of rhode island killed the studio and franchise.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

PSN: shingi_70

Tasuki

@Shingi_70:  Just to let you know Activision doesn't own the Warcraft series thats Blizzard.  While yes technically they company is Activsion/Blizzard each part is run as a separate entity.  That would be like saying Blizzard has Call of Duty or Guitar Hero.  Also Chris Metzen the main story and lore developer for Blizzard said that Warcraft wont be going back to a single player RTS game cause all of their resources for Warcraft go to the MMO.

But yeah I get what you are saying.  Probably the only one that would benefit from it is a newer younger studio and the problem with that is that they would have to compete against all these other well establish fantasy games.

Edited on by Tasuki

My Backlog

shingi_70

Eh I'd consider them one company. Its like saying Motorola isn't apart of Google since its ran seperatly.

Despite them being ran seperately I wouldn't be suprised if what each other is doing effects the other. Its probably why Activison hasn't made a fantasy game after skyrim. I also think Destiny is probably one of the reasons why Blizzard pushed back titan.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

PSN: shingi_70

Tasuki

@Shingi_70:  Makes sense although what I head is the reason they pushed back Titan was cause they moved the developers from Titan to Heroes of the Storm.  But yeah wouldn't surprise me at all if they scrapped Titan due to Destiny.  But who knows.  I think its more that they have other projects going on.

Right now they have

World of Warcraft
Diablo III Reaper of Souls for both PC and console
Hearthstone
Heroes of the Storm.

However saying that Destiny is probably one of the reason why Blizz pushed/cancelled Titan is just a guess we honestly dont know what kind of game Titan was besides an MMO, so the two games could be completely different.  That would be like saying Activision will cancel CoD cause of WoW.

My Backlog

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.