Forums

Topic: Final Fantasy XIV A Realm Reborn!

Posts 1 to 20 of 22

NathanUC

Words cannot explain how excited I am for this game. I spent a considerable amount of time playing the original release and a bit in the alpha/beta in 2.0

Interested to see if anyone else here was planning on playing. I'll probably play it most of the time on PC until the PS4 release personally. Will still be awesome to be able to load it up on my PS3 when I want to sit on the couch and relax (note, to do this, you need to purchase both a PC and PS3 copy).

If anyone had questions about the game, let me know as I've spent more time than I'd like to admit researching this game...

ALSO, if PSQR was interested, maybe we can make a PSQR linkshell (sort of like a guild) in game?

Edited on by Tasuki

To save our Mother Earth from any alien attack
From vicious giant insects who have once again come back
We'll unleash all our forces we won't cut them any slack
The EDF deploys!!

heero2001

You know, I have never played an MMO before, but FFXIV is really making me consider it.  My main concern is not the quality of the game, I am sure it will be great.  It's just that the time required for an MMO is daunting.
How much fun could I have if I can only commit 2-3 days a week to playing it, with some weeks I can't play at all?

heero2001

NathanUC
heero2001

You know, I have never played an MMO before, but FFXIV is really making me consider it.  My main concern is not the quality of the game, I am sure it will be great.  It's just that the time required for an MMO is daunting.
How much fun could I have if I can only commit 2-3 days a week to playing it, with some weeks I can't play at all?

From my experience in the beta, it's a very self driven MMO. There's content that takes minutes and content that takes hours. It's almost all PVE content and most of which is soloable. For dungeons, there's a nice cross server duty finder so you aren't waiting around to find a group or waiting for people to run to/from dungeons.

I think the only aspect to consider when you don't have a lot of time to put into it is the cost. It will cost you $30/40 upfront and an additional $12~15 a month (first month free).

The EDF deploys!!

heero2001

Would it be harder to enjoy the game if eventually my level falls behind everyone else?  I always hear how for FFXI, it was hard for new players in the later years.

And you said that most of the content is soloable, but there is an end to that right? I mean if I am done all the mission or story, what does an MMO do to keep a player playing for years (never played one so I don't know)?

heero2001

NathanUC
heero2001

Would it be harder to enjoy the game if eventually my level falls behind everyone else?  I always hear how for FFXI, it was hard for new players in the later years.

And you said that most of the content is soloable, but there is an end to that right? I mean if I am done all the mission or story, what does an MMO do to keep a player playing for years (never played one so I don't know)?

Yeah, eventually you'd 'run out' of solo'able content and the end game content really requires other players as well.. but I think the amount of time it takes to get that far would be worth the money (for me anyways).

Put it this way, you can get level 50 (currently the cap) completely alone relatively easily over time. There are 8 combat classes (with 2 branching jobs each at level 30 that don't need to be leveled separately). There are also around 8 non-combat classes you can level up to 50 (all solo). So when you look at it, with a single character you can work on maxing out all your characters before even worrying about endgame content with a group.

As for your question about extending the life of an MMO, this is usually done with expansions and major updates. FFXI lasted so long because there have been MANY MANY updates and expansions to give end game players new content to master and explore. These games simply don't last forever and you will eventually run out of things that interest you. Think of it like a massively expanded Skyrim really. You can do as little or as much as you want to do in games like this.

EDIT: To clarify, endgame doesn't simply mean getting level 50 with your class. To be considered end game, you generally have to spend a LOT of time questing/farming/collecting armor that will allow you to face the last of the content the game has to offer.

Edited on by NathanUC

The EDF deploys!!

heero2001

thank you so much. I think I might just give it a go.

heero2001

NathanUC
heero2001

thank you so much. I think I might just give it a go.

You're welcome. Be sure to try and check it out during open beta. There's no word on when exactly this will be, but it will almost certainly start either 8/9 or 8/16.

The EDF deploys!!

NathanUC

As an update:

Open beta starts 08/17th. Registration will be required and it's likely the client won't be publicly published in the PSN (you'll need a code to access the client).

Once registration opens up (should in the next day or two), I'll post a link where you can go to register.

Also, early access for individuals who pre-ordered is scheduled to open 08/24.

Other news that might matter to those interested:
-Players of 1.0 will be granted free subscription until 09/10; however, these won't start until 08/27 (no early access without a preorder or legacy status)

-There will be a veteran reward system. Currently they announced 30, 60, and 90 day subscription bonuses. It doesn't take into consideration play time, just purchased subscription. This means day one if you purchase 90s worth of subscription, you'll get all the veteran rewards day 1.

-Beta level cap will be set at 20. (BOOOO!)

-This is old news, but I noticed a lot of people are still confused. Yes, this game is cross platform. PS3, PC, and PS4 players will all play on the same servers. If you want to play on multiplatforms, you'll still need to purchase a copy of the game for each platform (Example: I own the PC version but I want to play on PS3, I'll need to purchase a copy of FFXIV for PS3 before it will allow me to log in). There are also plans to either make the PS4 version free or discounted for individuals who already purchased the PS3 edition.

The EDF deploys!!

NathanUC

I know there's not much interest here on these forums for this game.. but I just killed Titan Hard Mode.... FEELS GOOD MAN!

It was easily the most rewarding boss fight I've ever done in an MMO. Challenging, fun, and exciting all at once. It's slightly annoying trying to find a party of 8 people who understand how the fight works and who don't make a SINGLE mistake in the 10 minutes of the fight.. but when you do... it's soooo satisfying. Now I can get the ultimate weapon for my Bard and start working on my Black Mage so more.

PS: I did it on PC... It's possible on PS3, but the skill delay and extra latency make it a lot harder. I'll probably do it again on my next character on PS3 just to say I did it.

Edited on by NathanUC

The EDF deploys!!

odd69

Im a newbie, so far i've managed to get my gladiator to lvl 20 (yay) and lvl 15 mage

my wii number: 8754-9981-5119-6538
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles number: 1290-4359-9435
PlayStationNetworkID: odd69

PSN: odd69

NathanUC
odd69

Im a newbie, so far i've managed to get my gladiator to lvl 20 (yay) and lvl 15 mage

Nice! So far, I have 3 characters to 50. Black Mage, Paladin, and Bard.

I really like the way Paladins work in this game. While they are a bit slow and weak, I like the challenge of managing all their skills and buffs. It's probably the easiest class for me to play endgame, but also one of the most useful. It feels very powerful to shrug off massive hits, even if I'm hardly doing any damage.

A quick tip: In order to unlock the Paladin job for your Gladiator, you'll need to level up your Conjurer to level 15. I recommend doing this pretty early on as you can share the Cure spell with other classes making early game easier

The EDF deploys!!

odd69

thank you, i have started another character im going to use that one from now on,  i have to start fresh but im happy with my new character its what i should have picked/done in the first place. since im a paid subscriber now, i need to start spending more time with this to catch up

NathanUC
odd69

thank you, i have started another character im going to use that one from now on,  i have to start fresh but im happy with my new character its what i should have picked/done in the first place. since im a paid subscriber now, i need to start spending more time with this to catch up

Nice. I'm assuming you've had a bit more time with the game by now. What do you think about it? I'm starting to run out of content. I think they did a good pacing job since next month 2.1 is getting released (adding a lot of new content and features).

I absolutely cannot wait for the PS4 release so I don't have to load up my power hungry gaming PC every time I want to play.

PS4 beta is scheduled to start February if anyone was at all interested. It's possible we'll see it earlier in NA or EU since the beta was scheduled around PS4 launch in Japan.

The EDF deploys!!

odd69

well im far into my main quest but im stuck with a quest that makes you get a party to go into a dungeon and well i cant find enough people i waited 3 hours but i gave up, if i can get past this quest i would be REALLY enjoying it.

It feels great, just got me a usb keyboard for chat and everything i love to play i must sink 6 hours a day in it for 2 months straight

This and defiance is great ps3 mmo's to say the least

Edited on by odd69

ET83_phone_home

Hey Nathan, great review of ARR. The review is really spot-on and resonated with me. I've grown more critical of games than I was a few years ago since I have more responsibilities, and now I judge games less in terms of money spent but more the value of the time - what precious little I have - that I spend with them.

However, after hearing about two recent developments, I'm still very tempted to pick up this title for two reasons: 1) both ARR and ARR:Collector's Edition are on major discount on PSN this week  and 2) Players will get a free upgrade to the PS4 edition when it launches in Spring 2014.

Do you, or anyone else, think reasons above justify a purchase, even though the game is an admittedly lesser experience on the PS3?

PSN: ET83_phone_home

NathanUC
ET83_phone_home

Hey Nathan, great review of ARR. The review is really spot-on and resonated with me. I've grown more critical of games than I was a few years ago since I have more responsibilities, and now I judge games less in terms of money spent but more the value of the time - what precious little I have - that I spend with them.

However, after hearing about two recent developments, I'm still very tempted to pick up this title for two reasons: 1) both ARR and ARR:Collector's Edition are on major discount on PSN this week  and 2) Players will get a free upgrade to the PS4 edition when it launches in Spring 2014.

Do you, or anyone else, think reasons above justify a purchase, even though the game is an admittedly lesser experience on the PS3?

For $10, absolutely! The $10 will give you 30 days to try the game out and see if the style suits you. The huge drawbacks of the PS3 version aren't super apparent until a bit later in the games for the most part, so it would still work as a good introduction.

If you plan to try this game on PS4, I absolutely recommend picking it up for $10. It's a FANTASTIC game on PC, and the PS4 version is being built off the updated PC engine. I have extremely high hopes that PS4 will be the best place to play.

The EDF deploys!!

ET83_phone_home
nathanuc1988
ET83_phone_home

For $10, absolutely! The $10 will give you 30 days to try the game out and see if the style suits you. The huge drawbacks of the PS3 version aren't super apparent until a bit later in the games for the most part, so it would still work as a good introduction.

If you plan to try this game on PS4, I absolutely recommend picking it up for $10. It's a FANTASTIC game on PC, and the PS4 version is being built off the updated PC engine. I have extremely high hopes that PS4 will be the best place to play.

Well, just gave myself an early Xmas present - hope to see you all soon around Ezoria!

NathanUC
ET83_phone_home
nathanuc1988
ET83_phone_home

Well, just gave myself an early Xmas present - hope to see you all soon around Ezoria!

If you decide to play on the server Hyperion (legacy), let me know. I'd be able to help you as much/as little as you wanted to help get acclimated to it all.

The EDF deploys!!

ET83_phone_home
nathanuc1988

If you decide to play on the server Hyperion (legacy), let me know. I'd be able to help you as much/as little as you wanted to help get acclimated to it all.

Will do, thanks for the offer. I'll also send a friend request your way. Might not get a chance to dig into it until later tonight (U.S. Eastern Standard time).

I'm going to read through a couple of the free mini-guides offered by the Prima site (below) before diving in headfirst. Any other sites/guides you recommend I peruse?

http://www.primagames.com/games/final-f … e-strategy

NathanUC

For the most part, I rely on the community for guides. When I started out, there wasn't much, but I I used this site from time to time: http://www.ffxivguild.com/ff14-the-ulti … levelling/

The FF14 subreddit can be useful from time to time, but usually asking your questions in game is best. I found (at least my server) people are usually very friendly and willing to help.

My quick tips:
1. Do your story quest! Very important as it unlocks most things you'll need in order to progress.
2. Scale your HUD down. In the HUD editor, clicking the R3 button will toggle size. Smallest is best.
3. For targeting, holding R1 and tapping L2 or R2, you can toggle between enemies. I think any combination of L/R buttons does this.
4. FATEs are a great way to level up quickly if you're anxious to progress
5. Take your time and enjoy the game. The story is good if you give it a chance.
6. Don't be afraid to switch classes and switch often! Most classes have very useful cross class abilities between levels 1-16. Have fun experimenting and trying different combinations.

The EDF deploys!!

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.