Forums

Topic: The Last Of Us - SPOILERS

Posts 1 to 19 of 19

Scollurio

Hey, I hope it's okay to create this thread as I really don't want to spoil anything to anyone I thought it's a good idea to talk in here, only people that already finished the game of course, about things like:

- Sequel yes or no?
- With Ellie and Joel again?
- How did you personally like the ending?

Here's my opinions:

- If Naughty Dog can top what they did there, I'm open for anything.
- I can hardly imagine a sequel without them as they are the foundation of everything that makes TLOU great, but on the other hand, I didn't see THIS game coming as the awesome masterpiece it is, maybe they can suprise me again, with different characters even...
- I have to say, I like the subtle approach and the NOT SO obvious BOOM-happy end or BOOM-we're one of those sad games-approach

#supportindies
Top 5 Indies I'd recommend you try: #1 Lovecraft's Untold Stories, #2 Moonlighter, #3 Hotline Miami, #4 Inside, #5 Into the Breach.

PSN: Scollurio | Twitter:

Gamer83

I actually really enjoyed the ending. It fit the tone of the game perfectly. Some people are painting Joel as a bad guy who doomed humanity but really how feasible was the fireflies' plan? Not very, imo. After what Joel and Ellie went through and the way he went on to view her as almost like a second chance at having a daughter, I thought the ending was perfect.

As for a sequel, Naughty Dog has already said this is it for Joel and Ellie's story arc so while I wouldn't be against it, I'd have a hard time believing the studio could top this. If ND wants to try though, I won't complain.

One thing I'm interested in regards to this game is the single player DLC. To me the perfect backstory is that of Joel and Tommy. There's a 20 year gap between the prologue and 'proper' start of Joel's journey. I'd like to see why those two had an initial falling out and it would also be a chance to see Tommy during his time with the Fireflies.

Edited on by Gamer83

Gamer83

ShogunRok

I've only just finished watching my brother play through The Last of Us in its entirety, and I have to say I was blown away by how the story progressed, how it ended, and how Joel and Ellie developed as characters.

I thought the ending was perfectly fine - it ended exactly where it needed to. You're left asking questions about topics like morality and that's a good thing. As far as sequels go, I think it stands fine on its own, and I do think something would be lost by making a continuation - but that really depends on what Naughty Dog could come up with.

In regards to the story itself, I agree that the Fireflies plan wasn't completely foolproof. Manufacturing a vaccine and everything that comes with such a task seemed unfeasible in a world like that. It was, however, fantastic to see a game tackle such divisive questions with so much confidence. I think its really set the bar for how mature a game can be.

Like I said, I watched the game being played and therefore I don't want to make too much of a comment on the gameplay - but from what I saw, and based on the reactions of my brother while he played, I don't think it's flawless by any stretch of the imagination. That said, what it does right, it does brilliantly. It's actually quite funny to think it's a far better stealth game than most titles that bill themselves as such.

All in all, I can't argue with the praise it's received. Incredible stuff.

ShogunRok

Twitter:

catcher82611

-While it doesn't really need a sequel, it's probably selling well enough where they'd be almost foolish not to. However, I don't think that the sequel would follow Joel and Ellie.
-I'd like to see Tommy's story in that 20 year gap skipped by the game, but that could likely come out as DLC.
-I liked the ending, even though it was not at all what I was expecting. It was a very open ending, which, while common to the zombie genre, isn't not nearly as common to video games as a whole. I also liked how the way that it ended allows for this kind of discussion. I was ready and prepared for one of them to die, and I actually shouted "NO!" at my TV when Joel fell onto the metal rebar at the university, because I was certain that he was dead. That was the first time I ever had that kind of a reaction to a video game before. It is by far one of the most immersive games I've ever played. One of the best examples would be in the final scene, where Joel is explaining how you find reasons to keep on living, you can see the frustration in Joel's face because he is struggling to find the right words.

TL;DR= Yes, No, Yes

PSN: catcher82611
(I'm not that creative)
3DS FC: 4167-4485-9153

Twitter:

Aviator
catcher82611

when Joel fell onto the metal rebar at the university

I knew he wasn't dead.

After watching Lara do that 50 times in Tomb Raider, I once again just got all grossed out and squeamish.

QUEEN OF SASS

It's like, I just love a cowboy
You know
I'm just like, I just, I know, it's bad
But I'm just like
Can I just like, hang off the back of your horse
And can you go a little faster?!

Scollurio

Nice conversation going on here, I have to say I seem to share all your thoughts. The ending was really on a high note and wonderful done. I don't get people on metacritic giving the game 0/10 for not being intuitive or treading a cliche world. It's arguably not a 10/10 for everyone (for me it is) and sure some things could have done better but compared to what there actually is out there, considering games, I think it's easily that perfect 10/10.

As for the sequel, I also believe they cannot top what's going on with ellie and joel and probably shouldn't revisit them or it would take away that magical "finished" story arc of the first game. Im also not so convinced an entire sequel could be based upon some "side characters" of this game, like Bill and Frank for example.

The magic, the voice acting and the personality of Joel and Ellie for ME seems UN-topable. On the other hand, I also once thought Everquest is the best game ever made (but actually, in MMO genre, for me, it still is, lol).

#supportindies
Top 5 Indies I'd recommend you try: #1 Lovecraft's Untold Stories, #2 Moonlighter, #3 Hotline Miami, #4 Inside, #5 Into the Breach.

Snorky

One thing that keeps on springing back to my mind was the fact that at the end you're playing as Ellie, despite Joel being alive. Given the tone of the coversation at the end I took it as a farewell. Their relationship has changed from one where she needs him, to one where he needs her.

I would love a chance to play a bit more with Ellie and Joel, but at the same time I'm terribly afraid that they'd just kill them off. I think it's a sign of a good game that you become attached to the characters.

I can see the dlc being:
A) Joel and Tess' story
B) Joel and Tommy's falling out story
C) How Joel survived the first 20 years
D) Ish's story, I think this one could be really cool actually

Gotta say, the giraffe scene blew be away.

Snorky

Scollurio

To that giraffe scene, which left me as well with mouth open and heart pounding in pure "catch your breath" joy, generally it felt SO GOOD to finally play a game that's not relying on "BOOM CRASH BANG" and "ITS OBVIOUS THIS GUY THIS A HEROIC DEATH"-scenarios like SO many other games, but on the interaction between 2 people, everyone of them with a heavy emotional load to lift, ellies load getting heavier and heavier and joels load getting somewhat lifted a bit, just by being with ellie. It's top notch acting really.

#supportindies

Splat

Yeah, the giraffe scene was amazing. It's stuff like that which sets Naughty Dog games apart from other games. I loved that when they started to leave Joel hesitated before opening the door. He didn't want that moment to end for her and I felt the same way.

The cut scene with Joel and Ellie at the ranch after Ellie steals a horse and runs off was probably my favorite. There was so much emotion between the too of them and I was on the edge of my seat.

The part at the end when you were carrying Ellie and running gave me goosebumps. I was getting flashbacks of carrying Joel's daughter at the beginning of the game.

I was fine with the ending. I was so afraid Ellie was going to die and it was such a relief when she didn't.

Dragon's Dogma 2 Pawn ID: OM7GKB029K3D

PSN: Splathew

Splat

"Man... I shot the hell outta that guy. huh?" ~ Ellie

Dragon's Dogma 2 Pawn ID: OM7GKB029K3D

PSN: Splathew

Gamer83

"But fuck it, Joel needs a car!"

That was one of my favorites.

Gamer83

Snorky

I wonder if the dlc will add any coop multiplayer fun. I was with a friend last night and we were really enjoying it taking it in turns, a round each, but we both agree'd split screen coop would probably work really well.

I guess they could add a zombie horde map too.

Snorky

ztpayne7

Hey guys. So I just finished the last of us and I thought it was amazing! The ending was a little unexpected on a couple fronts...but I have a question that hasn't been addressed so far.

At the very end when they're getting out of the car, Ellie looks at her arm and it looks sort of bubbly. This felt different than the rest of the game. It looked a lot more flat, just scarred. I thought that it meant something they did to her in prep advanced the symptoms along. Am I missing something? I know you guys have played it more than me.

ztpayne7

Gamer83

I honestly didn't really think much of it until people started mentioning it. I'm sure whatever the situation it'll be addressed in the second game, even if Joel and Ellie aren't the stars, I think at least one would make an appearance.

Gamer83

Madd_Hatter401

I've got a spoiler..this game will win GOTY

Madd_hatter401 Proud owner of: PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, PS Vita, Xbox one, Xbox 360, 3DS, Nintendo 64, Gameboy advance, Sega, and Sega Nomad.

PSN: Madd_hatter401 | Twitter:

SuperSilverback

Who all thinks what Joel did at the end was wrong/selfish?

I think that he made the right call. He didnt doom humanity, its already doomed. As if the hunters are gona drop there guns, fist pump the air and high five each other when they hear a vaccine is made(If it actually even could be made, no guarantee), they're gona go to the lab, kill everyone and take the vaccine for themselves and kill anyone that tries to take if from them.

I think it was Bill that said the infected are predictable, humans arent.

P.s you cant deny that view!

Cryptic Metaphor!
PSN: Super-Silverback

PSN: Super-Silverback | Twitter:

ZeD

The thing which I got from it was that humanity was doomed from ay one.  It was not due to the spores which infected the world, it was down to how pathetic the human race can be.  It is the survive or die situation and I think Joel twisted that view at the end by realising that even with a cure the world would not go back to normal.  So he took the right choice.  He let a girl (who has been trapped all her life) to finally enjoy what has become of this world.  Yes it may be messed up but as you guys have said, that giraffe scene just shows you that there is still beauty in the world.

ZeD

PSN: KratosRisesAgain | Twitter:

Jairo_MC

I just finished The Last of Us, and I thought the ending was amazing. It's really well done, open to interpretation, and provide a good discussion like this.
I didn't like the beginning of the story though. The moment I saw that Joel had a daughter, I was expecting when and how she was gonna die and when she did, it didn't hit me and I couldn't connect with Joel or Ellie for a long time.
However, when Joel was impalled I went crazy and realized that I cared about those characters and wanted things to work out well. Because of that, winter was perfect for me, as I was enjoying the story, curious to  see where it was going and surprised to play as Ellie and anternate with Joel.
As for the ending, I was very nervous on the Firefly lab as I couldn't wait to get to Ellie. Joel's decision was probably wrong, but at that time, I couldn't bring myself to see it differently. At the epilogue, though, I thought that Joel should tell Ellie the truth and let her decide what was best, but Ellie, aparently knew the truth, but couldn't be apart from Joel. It was a very complex ending and I liked it.
I can't imagine a sequel, as I think it will hurt the story already told, but if there is one, I think it should be about a complete different gropu living in that world.
As for the gameplay aspect, I think it could be better, as the beginning was very boring and in the end I thought it worked because. The confrontation with David was really well done and unpredictable, which made me like the game a lot. Despite my personal opinion about it, The Last of Us is really a great game that everyone with a slight interest in it should play.

Jairo_MC

PSN: Jairo_MC | Twitter:

fortius54

My game keeps freezing at Bill's Town. Does anyone know how to fix this. I go through the door and the screen just goes black and stays that way.

fortius54

• Page 1 of 1

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.