Forums

Topic: Buy a PS3? Or Wait for PS4

Posts 1 to 20 of 29

StayHopeFull

Hi all. New forum poster, long-time site reader.

After briefly reading some of the news of the PS4, i have a dilemma. Birthday is coming up, either buy a PS3 now for as cheap as possible - seems like it would be the 12GB (and would probably suit my needs for now), or just forget that and save money then wait for the PS4.

I haven't played a PS3 or console games for a long time. I have a vita, but i don't play that very much at all right now, i was glued to the MGS HD collection for while, but now i hardly play it, despite having a good collection of games on it.

The PS4 isn't currently planning on having PS3 backwards comparability right? There's a ton of games i have not played and would be interested into. Hitman Abs, being an example, the uncharted series, and many more.

What thoughts do you guy's have? I feel a few hours here and then of console gaming could do me some good at this stage, but do i just wait it out?

StayHopeFull

turtlelink

I say get a PS3. There's a ton of games on it already and you get Metal Gear Solid 4, Rising, and (I think) Ground Zeroes when it comes out. Assuming you like MGS.

TurtleLink's backloggery
Brawl FC: 4425-1340-4519
The Sister Complex Kingpin of Steel!

StayHopeFull

That's another thing, with Metal gear rising that just came out, it's more games i'd enjoy playing. I just wish Vita had more games to have fun with, but seems like it'll hopefully get a boost when PS4 arrives.

I've played MGS4 and finished it around 2008 or so, just have missed out for a long time and feel i could get a small GB sized PS3, and rent out some games to play that I've missed.

StayHopeFull

Splat

I would not recommend the 12 GB model unless you plan on upgrading the HD. Even if you don't download games disc based games still take up space and would be full in no time.

Edited on by Splat

"What do you reckon, we're gonna have to climb that thing?" ~ Chloe Frazer

"I reckon I'M gonna have to climb that thing." ~ Nathan Drake

PSN: Splathew

Gamer83

Since it's not backwards compatible, I'd say go with a PS3 and wait for the PS4 to hit its stride before picking it up, every new systems goes through those early software droughts where as with PS3 you won't have to worry about that.

Edited on by Gamer83

Gamer83

StayHopeFull

Uhhh, still unsure but do need to make a decision soon. Recently today bought a cheap psone classic for the vita, but thing is, even barely playing it, it's near the end, and kind of a waste as there isn't much to do afterwards.

I read that eventually the PS4 plans to have all PS1, PS2 and PS3 games available through streaming?

Really stuck with this one. I'd have to consider joining lovefilm also for the rentals. Don't know whether to sit it out and wait, seeing games advertised like the new tomb raider does make me want to jump in, but feel like i should of sooner.

StayHopeFull

Jaz007

If don't espcially feel the need to play PS4 games when the PS4 comes out. get a PS3 and jsut get the PS4 a bit later. The PS3 has an amazing libary of games a lot of which are cheap now too. So I say go for the PS3.

Jaz007

guardianoftime

I pre ordered my PS3 and I'll be doing the same for PS4. I say get the 500 Gb PS3 since you got almost a year to have fun with the ps3 with lots of games coming out. The likes of Last of Us, GTA V, Beyond, and the excellent GOW. Other excellent new games still also exist like Far Cry 3, Tomb Raider... So go for it man, and believe me, Vita isn't nearly enough, 3DS XL is a lot better machine as a portable gaming system. Still, you need the Vita for the PS4.

All fear the man who has nothing to loose

PSN: Haig-009

StayHopeFull

Tempted and think i will end up going for the PS3. Which one though? Keep in mind i'm a casual gamer and at times what have any time to play games. And hoping to get most games through rental or pre-owned if they're not too expensive. This is why i thought the new 12GB would be ideal for me? Thoughts guys?

StayHopeFull

FullbringIchigo

well as the PS4 will not be compatible with PS3 games out of the box so i would recommend getting a PS3 now and waiting until the PS4 has been out a while and has a good number of games you want untill you get one

on another note current rumours suggest that in the future the PS4 will have backwards compatibility with the use of cloud technology but how and when we don't know

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

StayHopeFull

Coming back to this, I'm also getting annoyed with not having the use of my Vita.

Having a thought though, i may consider trying playstation plus, perhaps that's what will help me out.

Is there a list of games available for both PS3 and vita, I've been looking online but can't find any type of list? Also, i wouldn't hesitate to buy a PS3, but to get one with enough storage is near enough £200 which is like buying a new vita again..

StayHopeFull

Jaz007

If you want to get Plus than you will definitely need a bigger hard drive than 12gb. Heck if you plan to download much if any thing you will need a bigger hard drive. Save data also ranges from 100mb to 5gb, and a good number of games take up 1.5-3gb too.

Jaz007

Bornabuckeye

Just wanted to say hello (1st post here) and that I this thread among others that I read brought me onto PS3 wagon as well.

I've had a few PS3s in its cycle, haven't played a lot of the 1st party stuff that's gotten really good over the last 3-4 yrs mainly because I'm a Nintendo Diehard... what can I say... I'm addicted to Zelda games lol.

The PS4 reveal had me convinced I had to get one & I still think at some point that I will. However, the DRM and online restrictions that seem to be out to plague the next-gen have me very concerned. As a newbie into game collecting, I build my collection on the used stuff. Those used prices help me build a library of my favorite games that I can revisit time and time again. I'm afraid that may be over now...

So... I decided to start my Sony collection (all Nintendo to this point) and nabbed a like-new 60gb PS3 on Ebay so I can swipe up my favority PS1, PS2, and PS3 games before its too late. I figure, having never played Uncharted, Heavy Rain, Last of Us, or any of the God of Wars, I'll have plenty to do for a couple years to examine exactly how this next gen is going to play out.

Look forward to the threads folks!

New to the party - PSN: Bornabuckeye

PSN: Bornabuckeye | Twitter:

MrHalfawake

Im running a launch 60g and thanks to plus I really need to get around to installing a new HDD.  Plus isn't the issue so much as you can delete and download all you want but install data just eats it.  If you plan on having any of the larger games (Nino Kuni was HUUUUUUUUUGE) you're gonna want a bigger drive

MrHalfawake

Splat
StayHopeFull

Tempted and think i will end up going for the PS3. Which one though? Keep in mind i'm a casual gamer and at times what have any time to play games. And hoping to get most games through rental or pre-owned if they're not too expensive. This is why i thought the new 12GB would be ideal for me? Thoughts guys?

12 GB's is nothing. Even if you don't download a thing off PSN it will still go fast with just disc installs. I mean you could delete the data after you are done with the game but it would be a pain IMO.

When the PS4 comes out I'm sure PS3's will drop in price again and you will be able too get a 160 GB model for a reasonable price. You could always buy the 12GB model and upgrade the HDD yourself as well.

"What do you reckon, we're gonna have to climb that thing?" ~ Chloe Frazer

"I reckon I'M gonna have to climb that thing." ~ Nathan Drake

PSN: Splathew

Tasuki

I do remember that during the Sony presentation at E3 they said that through the Gaikai service PS3 game will be able to be streamed to the PS4 so I guess in away it will be backwards compatible. 

I passed on Sony this last gen and went with the Xbox 360 and I will admit there were some exclusives on the PS3 that I wouldn't mind playing but for me I am going to hold off on getting a PS3 to see what this Gaikai streaming service is like and if for some reason I dont like how they handle the PS3 games through it than I am sure by than a PS3 will be even cheaper.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

Bornabuckeye
Bornabuckeye

Just wanted to say hello (1st post here) and that I this thread among others that I read brought me onto PS3 wagon as well.

I've had a few PS3s in its cycle, haven't played a lot of the 1st party stuff that's gotten really good over the last 3-4 yrs mainly because I'm a Nintendo Diehard... what can I say... I'm addicted to Zelda games lol.

The PS4 reveal had me convinced I had to get one & I still think at some point that I will. However, the DRM and online restrictions that seem to be out to plague the next-gen have me very concerned. As a newbie into game collecting, I build my collection on the used stuff. Those used prices help me build a library of my favorite games that I can revisit time and time again. I'm afraid that may be over now...

So... I decided to start my Sony collection (all Nintendo to this point) and nabbed a like-new 60gb PS3 on Ebay so I can swipe up my favority PS1, PS2, and PS3 games before its too late. I figure, having never played Uncharted, Heavy Rain, Last of Us, or any of the God of Wars, I'll have plenty to do for a couple years to examine exactly how this next gen is going to play out.

UPDATE - After the epic E3 announcement and the clarity on the DRM/Online restrictions, I decided to make the PS4 pre-order. Traded in my Wii U and converted Wii U preorders to PS4 preorders day before yesterday. I got the PS4, extra controller, eye, killzone and watchdogs on tap at launch bought and paid for.

I currently believe I'll keep the PS3 (60gb) just to continue to collect the old PS1 & PS2 games. With PS+ being available on both platforms w/ one account, see no need to "trade up" from the PS3.

New to the party - PSN: Bornabuckeye

PSN: Bornabuckeye | Twitter:

Sanquine
Bornabuckeye
Bornabuckeye

UPDATE - After the epic E3 announcement and the clarity on the DRM/Online restrictions, I decided to make the PS4 pre-order. Traded in my Wii U and converted Wii U preorders to PS4 preorders day before yesterday. I got the PS4, extra controller, eye, killzone and watchdogs on tap at launch bought and paid for.

I currently believe I'll keep the PS3 (60gb) just to continue to collect the old PS1 & PS2 games. With PS+ being available on both platforms w/ one account, see no need to "trade up" from the PS3.

WOW! That's pretty impresive for someone who always been a Nintendo guy! Welcome to the family!

PSNid= Sanquine90

PSN: Sanquine90

Scollurio

I got my PS3 super slim the other day, popped in a 200 GB HD I had lying around and all of that for just 169,- Euro.
Sure I needed to get The Last Of Us and this being my first Playstation EVER, I don't regret anything. So ... I'd say go get it. Plenty of awesome games to catch up upon!

Yeah!

#supportindies
Top 5 Indies I'd recommend you try: #1 Lovecraft's Untold Stories, #2 Moonlighter, #3 Hotline Miami, #4 Inside, #5 Into the Breach.

PSN: Scollurio | Twitter:

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.