goldboy27

any great action rpgs for ps3 already know about demons souls and dark souls

PSN Name
Paperluigi1000

Magi

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

Magi

James

Dragon's Dogma is looking pretty good. Not out until May, but looks very interesting. More on Monday

James

Splat
Magi

Dragon's Dogma 2 Pawn ID: OM7GKB029K3D

PSN: Splathew

DavynD
Splat
Magi

This.

Also the Deathspank series off of PSN.

"Where are all the Sour Patch Parents?"

Ginkgo

No one mentioning Skyrim now that most of the bugs are ironed out?

This leaf from a tree in the East, has been given to my garden.
It reveals a certain secret, which pleases me and thoughtful people. - Goethe

Magi
Ginkgo

It's tough for me to consider Skyrim an Action RPG.  I almost feel the same way about Fallout too I guess.  I can't quite put my finger on why,  but there it is.   Strangely, I would define Mass Effect as an Action RPG though.

YMMV of course.[/

Magi

CanisWolfred

Tales of Graces f so long as you're in it for the gameplay.

MadchesterManc

I picked up White Knight Chronicles for a few bob n its not too bad. You should look into getting the sequel tho if your interested as you get WKC1&2 on the same disk

White Knight Chronicles is Turn-based.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Ginkgo
Magi
Ginkgo

It's tough for me to consider Skyrim an Action RPG.  I almost feel the same way about Fallout too I guess.  I can't quite put my finger on why,  but there it is.   Strangely, I would define Mass Effect as an Action RPG though.

YMMV of course.[/

My understanding is that an Action RPG is in real time rather than being turn based. By that definition Skyrim certainly fits, but I can see where you are coming from. I think Skyrim encompasses so many things, that the combat elements can take a back seat. Perhaps it has Action RPG "elements". Its still an awesome game.

Mass Effect is hard to classify, because it can be in played in real time but it gives you the option to pause combat and issue commands from a menu. Kinda of a half way house. But then who cares, it is such a brilliant game - just play it!

Edited on by Ginkgo

odd69
DavynD

This.

Also the Deathspank series off of PSN.

Agreed!! Get all 3 of them Deathspank is great i really loved that franchise.

@goldfish Legend of mana is on the psn, that is action rpg. Odin sphere is action rpg too. Those two would kill alot of your time.

my wii number: 8754-9981-5119-6538
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles number: 1290-4359-9435
PlayStationNetworkID: odd69

PSN: odd69

ShogunRok

Definitely Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

I'd say Skyrim, but it's honestly still a mess on PS3/360 so it's really hard to recommend it. But KoA is fantastic, far exceeded my expectations and has become my 'go to' RPG on PS3. Not to mention the combat is just superb... it's about as 'action' as you can get in an 'action' RPG.

ShogunRok

Twitter:

Splat

I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one that loved KOA.

Dragon's Dogma 2 Pawn ID: OM7GKB029K3D

PSN: Splathew

Ginkgo
ShogunRok

I'd say Skyrim, but it's honestly still a mess on PS3/360 so it's really hard to recommend it. But KoA is fantastic, far exceeded my expectations and has become my 'go to' RPG on PS3. Not to mention the combat is just superb... it's about as 'action' as you can get in an 'action' RPG.

I'm playing through Skyrim at the moment (about 20 hours in), and have seen an odd glitch, but honestly I'm not finding it too buggy. I think all of the major issues have been resolved. The only one I am scared about is the loading time issue with large save files. I have never spend more than about 60-70 hours on any one game, but this one I can see breaking 100.  The issues is supposed to have been fixed but only time will tell.

Have played about 2 hours of KoA at a friends house and certainly it is a good game. It is more combat focused and I would say the combat is more strategic than Skyrim. That is definately the game's strength. My friend prefers KoA. Personally, I'm loving Skyrim, but I'm a sucker for big open worlds that you can get lost in, and on that point Skyrim wins hands down. So horses for courses.

ShogunRok
Ginkgo
ShogunRok

I'm playing through Skyrim at the moment (about 20 hours in), and have seen an odd glitch, but honestly I'm not finding it too buggy. I think all of the major issues have been resolved. The only one I am scared about is the loading time issue with large save files. I have never spend more than about 60-70 hours on any one game, but this one I can see breaking 100.  The issues is supposed to have been fixed but only time will tell.

Have played about 2 hours of KoA at a friends house and certainly it is a good game. It is more combat focused and I would say the combat is more strategic than Skyrim. That is definately the game's strength. My friend prefers KoA. Personally, I'm loving Skyrim, but I'm a sucker for big open worlds that you can get lost in, and on that point Skyrim wins hands down. So horses for courses.

You may very well be alright with Skyrim, as it sounds like you've only started it recently (and I assume with the latest patch?) which means most things will be fixed for you from the start.

I'm not being negative here; but Skyrim, before it's release, was my most anticipated game ever. I had seen the complaints on forums, I had massive troubles with both Fallout games and yet I still bought the game on PS3. However, I called bull**** on all PS3 versions being 'broken' after spending 90 hours without a single crash, or major glitch.

Then the first crash came, and it was honestly downhill from there. Even 90 hours in, I had barely scratched the surface of most quest lines, I had hardly done anything in general. I kept getting random crashes here and there, a few bigger glitches (like quests not activating properly etc) and then the 'lag' started kicking in. About 150 hours in I couldn't play the game for more than half an hour without the frame rate crippling the game to such an extent that it was unplayable. THEN I realised this was what all the anger on the internet was about. Needless to say, I shelved the game for a good month or so.

That's when the patch 1.4 (NA) and 2.03 (EU) came out. It honestly fixed the lag problem, and I couldn't believe it. I went back to playing it and did a lot more of the game, I still got the odd crash here and there though (which in itself, is unforgivable really) and the broken quests kept mounting up, although they were minor ones at least.

Fast forward to the present and I'm trying out the new patch, it seems fine until another quest glitches, and I get several more crashes. Now I've all but given up. This is after 288 hours of Skyrim. I've come to accept that this game will never be truly brilliant on PS3 - that's just the way it is. Oh, and the lag is actually back after an hours worth of play!

Maybe you won't run into any problems, and again, I'm not trying to be negative, but give it a lot more time and you're bound to see some problems arise. Supposedly, the game breaks down more and more as you clock up the hours of playtime - and for me this is definitely the case.

Like I said, you might very well be fine, having started a game with the newest patch from the get-go, and I really hope that's the case. But when people say they've had trouble with Skyrim on PS3, don't doubt them for a second. Every problem with Skyrim on PS3 is very much real, and most, if not all of those problems still exist today.

Skyrim absolutely would be the greatest RPG on PS3, and it would be my favourite game of all time... if it wasn't a complete technical mess. The worst part is that now every time anyone mentions Skyrim, I should be thinking 'the best game I've ever played'. But instead, I'm thinking 'I love that game, but it was an absolute nightmare to play'. When you're actually worrying about trying not to crash the game instead of worrying about what you're actually doing IN the game, then you know something is desperately wrong. Every single good memory is marred by a bad technical one.

Phew. Aaaaanyway I hope your Skyrim journey goes better than how mine ended up, just be prepared in case it all goes pear-shaped.

So basically, that's why KoA wins it for me, there's no real way around it. But at the same time I honestly think KoA is as good of a game - they're equally brilliant, but because of Skyrim's technical problems, I can't say it's better.

ShogunRok

Twitter:

Mandoble

Is Skyrim doing fine for 360? I have more than 300 hours on it (PC version) and to be frank, it is already a miracle to have a game like this being able to run on current consoles, mine ate more than 1GB of RAM running only at medium detail level.

Mandoble

Kage_88

I've made my hatred for Bethesda known before, so I'll avoid my rant.

Just know that if you're planning to buy Skyrim; make sure you're connected to the net, and you have a newer PS3 model - otherwise, don't bother.

I'm not sure if it'd be to your taste, but 3D Dot Game Heroes is a unique experience.

Also, look out for the upcoming Ni No Kuni - which looks bloody fantastic.

Nintendo Network ID: KrissB

3DS: 2621-2629-6453

Xbox Live: GonkDroid88

PSN: Kriss_B

Steam ID: kage_88

GOG ID: KrissB

Feel free to add me!

ShogunRok
Mandoble

Is Skyrim doing fine for 360? I have more than 300 hours on it (PC version) and to be frank, it is already a miracle to have a game like this being able to run on current consoles, mine ate more than 1GB of RAM running only at medium detail level.

As far as I'm aware, yes, Skyrim is better on 360. It doesn't have the same lag problem (although lag definitely still exists on 360). However, it still has the same glitches, same game breaking bugs and crashing. Only instead of crippling lag, 360 gets pretty bad screen tearing. I honestly think PC is the only platform to play Skyrim on (reliably for many, many hours).

The fact that you said it took more than 1GB of RAM just to run on medium proves the point entirely. Either Bethesda should actually learn to adapt their games for consoles, or they should just tone them down more for console release. I mean... do we really need to have the game tracking things like placements of pots and pans on PS3? Do we even really need those items? I think a hell of a lot of pointless stuff could be taken out of the console versions and they would run much better. Most of it is completely unnecessary.

ShogunRok

Twitter:

Bankai

Back on topic, or something. I'm surprised there's a lack of love for Dragon Age. Dragon Age: Origins poops all over Skyrim and Kingdoms of Amalur in my estimation, and it's a reasonable merge of Action and Turn Based elements.

I like the very dark setting, though. It's one of the Lord of the Rings fans rather than the high fantasy folks.

odd69
ChocoGoldfish

Back on topic, or something. I'm surprised there's a lack of love for Dragon Age. Dragon Age: Origins poops all over Skyrim and Kingdoms of Amalur in my estimation, and it's a reasonable merge of Action and Turn Based elements.

I like the very dark setting, though. It's one of the Lord of the Rings fans rather than the high fantasy folks.

Dragon age was indeed a fun action rpg, the setting was the best part.

my wii number: 8754-9981-5119-6538
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles number: 1290-4359-9435
PlayStationNetworkID: odd69

PSN: odd69

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.