Forums

Topic: Why no RTS games for ps4?

Posts 1 to 17 of 17

baldybill

As the title asks, why are we not playing rts games for ps4? games like command and conquer on pc were great and even ruse on ps3 was good fun but so far nothing on ps4 and not even anything in the pipeline. I know that the ps3's reason was a lack of ram so surely with the ps4's 8 gb that shouldnt be a problem. Also the new touchpad function on the controller would come in handy. Is it just me who misses these type of games?

baldybill

AlexStinton

@baldybill I think it has more to do with how well Ruse and others sold in the last generation.  RTS games aren't as universally popular as they were and while I enjoyed them back in the day, MOBA's such as League of Legends seem to be the way of the future.

It feels like every man and his dog has a MOBA in the works at the moment and I think we'll see some on PS4 in the future.

Push Square reviewer

PSN: Aphex666 | Twitter:

Scollurio

Heroes of the Storm is the only MOBA I'm currently interested in and yes I also miss the glory days of huge LAN parties playing C&C for example... Dem' days...

#supportindies
Top 5 Indies I'd recommend you try: #1 Lovecraft's Untold Stories, #2 Moonlighter, #3 Hotline Miami, #4 Inside, #5 Into the Breach.

PSN: Scollurio | Twitter:

AlexStinton
Scollurio

Heroes of the Storm is the only MOBA I'm currently interested in and yes I also miss the glory days of huge LAN parties playing C&C for example... Dem' days...

Yeah, there was nothing better than loading your PC into a car and driving it around to a mates house for some Quake or Command and Conquer.  Kids these days don't know how easy they have it!

Push Square reviewer

Scollurio

Kids these days... don't know... anything... at. all.
Sorry but I just had a meeting with a customer and her 15 year old son.
I felt like it was "free lobotomy day" from where they came from.
Ugh.

#supportindies
Top 5 Indies I'd recommend you try: #1 Lovecraft's Untold Stories, #2 Moonlighter, #3 Hotline Miami, #4 Inside, #5 Into the Breach.

CanisWolfred

Because RTSes without Mouses are terribad. And you guys do know RTSes are still pretty prevelant right? I see a new one at least every month on Steam...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

AlexStinton
CanisWolfred

Because RTSes without Mouses are terribad. And you guys do know RTSes are still pretty prevelant right? I see a new one at least every month on Steam...

I know there's still a lot around on PC, but back in the mid / late 90's everyone was playing them, even people who weren't big gamers.  The Command and Conquer and Warcraft games were big budget titles that were tent pole releases. That just isn't the case anymore on PC or console.

I think you can get around the absence of a mouse by being smart in your game design, and I thought RUSE was a great example of that.  The trouble is that no ones going to spend the time solving the problem, as the console audience isn't there for them.

Push Square reviewer

Demi_God

I don't care about FPS not having mouse and keyboard control, but I think Sony should support keyboards and mouse for RTS specific games.   FPS I can play with a controller no problem.  I just hope in the next few months they put in support for mouse keyboard for future RTS games and also steering wheel support for driving games.

Demi_God

Tasuki
Scollurio

Heroes of the Storm is the only MOBA I'm currently interested in

I have been playing HoS off and on for the past few months and I can say it is alot of fun.  Its easy to pick up and learn and I found the community very helpfull.  This is my first foray into MOBA so I can't really compare it to DotA2 or LoL but it is fun.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

Scollurio
Tasuki
Scollurio

Heroes of the Storm is the only MOBA I'm currently interested in

I have been playing HoS off and on for the past few months and I can say it is alot of fun.  Its easy to pick up and learn and I found the community very helpfull.  This is my first foray into MOBA so I can't really compare it to DotA2 or LoL but it is fun.

Oh thanks for that info then. Well I played a bit of LoL with my then-girlfriend. Well I found the online community as nice and welcoming as the surface of the sun, drenched in hatred, with a hat made from poopoo. So thats that. Good to hear so far HotS seems to be better in that regard!

#supportindies

MoleZandor

Doesn't the DS4 have a mouse pad on it anyway. that could be used. Also a decent use of motion controls could be used.
it may take some getting used to though. But blaming control scheme is a bad reason not to try to make a game.

MoleZandor

baldybill

Had to google MOBA, haha i must be getting old. I still think theres room for a good old fashioned rts game on ps4 and if done well could be a big seller. Imagine crossing a rts game with something like on phones these days where you build up your own army, defences,  join leagues and such. surely a game like that where your always connected would be a good seller.

baldybill

CanisWolfred
MoleZandor

Doesn't the DS4 have a mouse pad on it anyway. that could be used. Also a decent use of motion controls could be used.
it may take some getting used to though. But blaming control scheme is a bad reason not to try to make a game.

Except quick and responsive controls are key to any RTS, and being too slow can cost you the entire match. It's more than just a mouse. If you don't have access to a lot (and I mean a LOT) of hotkeys, it could still cost you the match.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

AlexStinton
LDXD

Does tropico 5 count? Comes out in October

I think the Tropico games are classed more as city building simulations.  Though you could say that it's a genre as under represented on consoles as RTS games.

Edited on by AlexStinton

Push Square reviewer

Faruko

it would suck on the DS4 as it does on any controller that its not K&M

WiiU: FarukoSH
3DS FC: 4640-0256-4473
Steam: Farukool
PSN: Farukosh

arnoldlayne83

...but ps4 supports mouse and keyboard....usb or bluetooth actually...

psn: markthesovver83 ; Nnid: arnoldlayne83

PSN: markthesovver83

• Page 1 of 1

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.