Forums

Topic: Buying a Japanese PS Vita Slim

Posts 1 to 7 of 7

get2sammyb

I'm seriously considering 'upgrading' to the PS Vita Slim, as my original model is starting to feel a bit rickety, and I honestly want a lighter device with a better battery. However, if I do upgrade, I refuse to buy the boring black available in Europe right now. I'm going to wait and see if there's a Minecraft hardware bundle with some kind of green console announced at Gamescom first, but if not, I'm probably going to import one of the coloured ones from Japan.

I just wondered if anyone has done this? Is there anything I need to be aware of? Presumably I'll need to change the language settings. What about X and Circle inputs -- can they be switched around? Has anyone imported one of these? I guess I'll need an English plug adapter, too?

larry_koopa

I know I'm not addressing your questions, but I'm concerned when you say that your original Vita is feeling a bit rickety.  I assume you've just played the heck out of it since launch?  I've only had mine for about 5 months, but build quality is always something I consider when it comes to my handhelds.  Anything I should be concerned about?

My game library ranges from Mario Kart to Call of Duty to Tales of Xillia to Diablo 3 to Forza. To me gaming is about having fun - not blindly supporting only one company while thumbing your nose at "the evil other systems."

Scollurio
get2sammyb

I'm seriously considering 'upgrading' to the PS Vita Slim, as my original model is starting to feel a bit rickety, and I honestly want a lighter device with a better battery. However, if I do upgrade, I refuse to buy the boring black available in Europe right now. I'm going to wait and see if there's a Minecraft hardware bundle with some kind of green console announced at Gamescom first, but if not, I'm probably going to import one of the coloured ones from Japan.

I just wondered if anyone has done this? Is there anything I need to be aware of? Presumably I'll need to change the language settings. What about X and Circle inputs -- can they be switched around? Has anyone imported one of these? I guess I'll need an English plug adapter, too?

Hey Sammy, just a few weeks ago I did the same. Got a Vita Slim, at first a japanese one, but then got a regular PAL one. There is only 3 differences:

- language of the manual and all included material obviously but since we all know how to operate a Vita this is neglectable
- the wall-socket-plug will be different on the JPN version which is also no big deal as you can charge your vita on any regular USB socket via the included USB mini cable
- the X and O are reversed. The Problem is there is no consistency about it. Some games have it hardcoded which will override the regular switch of it on the hardware. Meaning that ultimately some games will have it switched as the hardware default is switched and some others will override it

In the end its not much of a big deal but for me sometimes the little things count and I got a PAL one and decided to not have any issues with switched buttons.
Besides that I'm very happy with my slim, although the screen is noticably different (I'm not saying worse on purpose). The handling and feel of the device just "clicks" for me more than the original Vita did and the screen is still plenty good, it just has it's (LCD typical) problems with rich blacks and the viewing angles are not as awesome as they are on the OLED, but for regular gaming and watching movies (not on brightest setting though because of aforementioned black levels) it's more than capable and I don't regret my switch to the SLIM.

Hope that helped!

#supportindies
Top 5 Indies I'd recommend you try: #1 Lovecraft's Untold Stories, #2 Moonlighter, #3 Hotline Miami, #4 Inside, #5 Into the Breach.

PSN: Scollurio | Twitter:

get2sammyb
Diddy_kong

I know I'm not addressing your questions, but I'm concerned when you say that your original Vita is feeling a bit rickety.  I assume you've just played the heck out of it since launch?  I've only had mine for about 5 months, but build quality is always something I consider when it comes to my handhelds.  Anything I should be concerned about?

I think it's just through heavy use, but I've had a problem with overly wobbly shoulder buttons since I got it at launch. I think I must have just got a slightly faulty one, as no one else appears to have this problem.

Scollurio

Hey Sammy, just a few weeks ago I did the same. Got a Vita Slim, at first a japanese one, but then got a regular PAL one. There is only 3 differences:

- language of the manual and all included material obviously but since we all know how to operate a Vita this is neglectable
- the wall-socket-plug will be different on the JPN version which is also no big deal as you can charge your vita on any regular USB socket via the included USB mini cable
- the X and O are reversed. The Problem is there is no consistency about it. Some games have it hardcoded which will override the regular switch of it on the hardware. Meaning that ultimately some games will have it switched as the hardware default is switched and some others will override it

In the end its not much of a big deal but for me sometimes the little things count and I got a PAL one and decided to not have any issues with switched buttons.
Besides that I'm very happy with my slim, although the screen is noticably different (I'm not saying worse on purpose). The handling and feel of the device just "clicks" for me more than the original Vita did and the screen is still plenty good, it just has it's (LCD typical) problems with rich blacks and the viewing angles are not as awesome as they are on the OLED, but for regular gaming and watching movies (not on brightest setting though because of aforementioned black levels) it's more than capable and I don't regret my switch to the SLIM.

Hope that helped!

That's amazing, thank you very much! The X and O thing may just be the killer for me. Like you say, it's not a major deal, but bleurgh, it would take some serious getting used to.

TOMBOY25
get2sammyb
Diddy_kong

I think it's just through heavy use, but I've had a problem with overly wobbly shoulder buttons since I got it at launch. I think I must have just got a slightly faulty one, as no one else appears to have this problem.

Scollurio

Hope that helped!

That's amazing, thank you very much! The X and O thing may just be the killer for me. Like you say, it's not a major deal, but bleurgh, it would take some serious getting used to.

i had a white japanese ps3 with the x and o flipped thing, honestly it takes about 5 minutes after you start a game to get used to it not a big deal really.

Edited on by TOMBOY25

TOMBOY25

PSN: TOMBOY25

Holydiver85
TOMBOY25
get2sammyb
Diddy_kong

Scollurio

Hope that helped!

i had a white japanese ps3 with the x and o flipped thing, honestly it takes about 5 minutes after you start a game to get used to it not a big deal really.

I agree that it takes very little time to get used to it however you have to get used to it each time you play because your PS4/PS3/every other console in the world is the opposite.

Sammy, I understand your plight with the lack of colour...I was going to say in electronics but I honeslty think in life altogether. For me though it would be too much of a trade off to have to "get used to" my Vita everytime I turned it on. Especially since youre always going to be staring at the screen anyway.

Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken.

Jazzer94
get2sammyb

I've been thinking about this as well but will wait a bit longer in hope of more colours coming to the EU or US like the blue or green.

PSN: mangaJman
SSBB FC: 1204-1132-2888
My YouTube
The Jazzloggery
Once you see you can never unsee

PSN: mangaJman

• Page 1 of 1

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.