Forums

Topic: Business, Wishful Thinking, Reality

Posts 1 to 2 of 2

Scollurio

The purpose of this thread is to discuss the realities of the industry that is our hobby. Especially when it comes to Vita blood starts boiling and people like to get onto each other's or Sony's throat. "Sony doesn't care for Vita". Where is the truth in that statement? Well I figure that there is some truth to it, but I'm sure as hell that Sony just didn't "choose" to alienate it's fans or not care for Vita. Why would Sony waste resources on a platform that probably can't be saved by those resources spent anyways? Would you rather see PS4 development hindered by mis-spent funds being drowned in Vita?

I love my Vita and I'd wish it would have the same support the PSP had, but honestly, all of us, we all need to face reality. Everything is about money first, idealism later (maybe except charities) in life.

If you're going to a job and the boss doesn't pay you, you will stop working after complaining for a while. You won't just continue working there because "it's the right thing to do". Even if you would do it, because you're some crazy (good kind of crazy) idealist who loves his job, the eventualities of life, i.e. that you need to pay your bills, don't allow for you to just work for nothing.

The same thing holds true for big corporations. Sure there are some decisions around the Vita that are questionable, memory card prices for example. But I am sure, that at one point, in the planning stages of the Vita, it made perfect sense for them to set the prices like they did. Corporations are firstly money-making enterprises. No matter how many passionate people work there, no matter how sympathic people like Yoshida or Cerny might be. They all need to earn money, if not for themselves then for the company, to stay in business, pay shareholders.

Unfortunately the reality in ALL things in business is: if it doesn't pay out, let it die, get rid of it, minimize loss. That's just a hard ugly fact that has cost us beloved development studios and entire game series. Of course it's more dramatic like that, because people working to create those games, they also suffer, their families, their pride, their idealism. Because no matter how much you enjoy your job, your life, your creations: YOU NEED TO EARN MONEY. End. If you don't, you stop doing what you do and find something that DOES earn you money.

See, I hate it, I hate capitalism, but I am selfemployed and I'm facing exactly the same dilemma (on a much smaller scale, for sure) each and every day. Do I spend X hours of my time on a customer that I LIKE but that's known for paying his bills late to me, or do I work for that asshat I can't stand that's always paying on time. Guess what. I'll have to follow the money to stay afloat and run my little 1-man show over here.

No imagine that scenario a hundred, a thousandfold more complex in a big company.

I hate mismanagement and dodgy acquisitions as much as the next guy (looking at you EA, activision), but some things can't be helped and if you look at the Indie Studios, everyone seems to complain about, they can be the source of awesome games, just wait until BROFORCE drops on your Vita. You'll love it. Trust me. It's that great. Eventually those studios will grow and outgrow that typical "Indie Niche" and provide a REAL alternative to the big studios, before, inevitably, they will also grow out of proportion and all the game development history will come full circle.  I know this is all a long text and I might have outstayed me being welcome for a while now already, but please people, Life itself, never and nowhere is all Candylicking and Bunnystroking. Life itself can be nasty and ugly, don't focus too much on those aspects and especially, in our shared hobby, gaming, enjoy the good bits, vote with your wallet, give smaller studios a chance, buy more Vita games, HECK do whatever pleases you, but for your own fun's sake, don't get caught up in a bitterness, hating on platforms, games, studios or even fellow gamers.

Just my opinion on that all,
curious to hear yours!

#supportindies
Top 5 Indies I'd recommend you try: #1 Lovecraft's Untold Stories, #2 Moonlighter, #3 Hotline Miami, #4 Inside, #5 Into the Breach.

PSN: Scollurio | Twitter:

Gamer83

Yeah bottomline is the Vita sold like crap. PS4 on the other hand is selling great despite not having much of any first party software. That can't last forever though, not with MS getting all the same third party support and not with MS money hatting not only for DLC but full games like Titanfall and Dead Rising 3. Where has Sony always been most successful? Home console gaming, so it only make sense that PS4 is going to be the focus from here on out and suggesting it should be otherwise, which amazingly has happened, is nothing but crazy talk.

Edited on by Gamer83

Gamer83

• Page 1 of 1

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.