Forums

Topic: What's a good beginners fighting game on PS3?

Posts 1 to 20 of 20

andrewmated

Hello! This is my first thread on this site. I was curious if any fighting game fans could help me out.  I've always been interested in playing fighting games but I'm always worried I'd be bad at them.  There always seem like there are so many things to consider: what games have good learning curves, what games still have active communities, what games are regular controller friendly, etc.  The game I've been interested in is BlazBlue, because I like the anime style (I'd say Persona, but I'm still playing both PS2 RPGs and don't want spoilers,) Mortal Kombat 9 and Street Fighter 3 Onlne because I enjoyed a demos.  Other than that, I'm kind of ignorant to most games in the genre.  Any help would be appreciated.

andrewmated

rastamadeus

Persona 4 Arena doesn't really touch on any story from it's own game, let alone Persona 2 so I'd say that one personally. It's not too hard to learn what you're doing and... well, it's Persona so it's awesome. If you want one to bed you in I'd suggest Dead Or Alive 5 Ultimate as it's fighting system is pretty much paper, rock, scissors and it's pretty fluid and fun - just don't expect any online play as it's quieter than Rolf Harris' agent's phone.

I'm not the biggest fighting nut (I like them, just can't be bothered mastering them) but would suggest those two above. Maybe even PS All-Stars is you want a poor but simple entry in to the genre. If you have a Nintendo system then get Smash. It's not as deep as other games but it's fun with a capital BRILLIANT.

"Oh smeg. What the smegging smegs he smegging done? He's smegging killed me."

PSN: Rastamadeus | Twitter:

ShogunRok

BlazBlue can be incredibly, mind-bendingly deep. For your first fighting game, you'll have to put a lot of effort in - but it does have a beginner's control layout that makes it easier. Still, if you want to get really good at it, it's gonna take a long time.

The most accessible fighting game that springs to mind would be Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate. Fluid gameplay, relatively easy combos, just enough variation in fighting styles... It's not the greatest fighting game, but it is pretty much perfect for beginners.

SoulCalibur V might be worth a look too. There's quite a bit of depth here too, but it is quite easy to get to grips with and understand.

ShogunRok

Twitter:

Splat

You might try Tekken Revolution. It's free to play and only takes about 2 GB's of space to download. I wouldn't say it's a great game but for free I found it solid.

Dragon's Dogma 2 Pawn ID: OM7GKB029K3D

PSN: Splathew

Scollurio

Mortal Kombat. Sequel is out next year, you can pick it up cheaply and its one of the "more easy to learn" games.

#supportindies
Top 5 Indies I'd recommend you try: #1 Lovecraft's Untold Stories, #2 Moonlighter, #3 Hotline Miami, #4 Inside, #5 Into the Breach.

PSN: Scollurio | Twitter:

Holydiver85

Mortal Kombat for sure! Easily the best fighting game for the PS3. Friendly learning curve so that your'e not beating your head against the wall but really rewards those that invest time and effort to learn a character.

Also Street fighter but I would wait for the new ultimate edition. There are supposed to be more characters and that. Also balanced better and you can choose from different versions of the sam character. So if you got really good with Ryu in Street fighter alpha 2 and cant seem to keep up in the newer version you can choose the version from street fighter alpha 2 and dominate.

Funny enough I remember walking into a corner store and finding my first MK machine also walking into a laundromat and finding my first street fighter machine. Im getting goosebumps. Haha.

Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken.

AdamNovice

A more left field choice would be Divekick but I'm not sure if it's simple controls really prepare you for most fighters. My personal tip would be Injustice: Gods Among Us cos it uses the same control scheme as Mortal Kombat 9 & there's lots of content to mix things up. Plus every fight feels epic, so if your into comic books I'd recommend that.

AdamNovice

Twitter:

andrewmated

Thanks for the suggestions.  I really do want to give Mortal Kombat a try.  Same goes for Ultra Street Fighter IV.

andrewmated

CanisWolfred

I second Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate, as it's accessible, but still deep enough to hold your attention. Just note that the default difficulty is actually difficult for once. I actually go on huge lossing streaks against the CPU whenever I'm using a new character I'm not familiar with (these days most fighters make it way too easy to button mash against the CPU unless you really crank up the difficulty), and I swear I never touched the difficulty setting.

Then again, I mostly avoid games that seem too shallow, and I'll admit that I got into the genre by playing the most complicated games I could find...

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

kingston589

I suggest Injustice: Gods Among Us. Its very fun, the story mode is good and its easy to learn.

Currently Playing: Smash Bros, Ducktales Remastered and Bayou Billy
Youtube: PlatTheFormer
Steam: PlatTheFormer

PSN: kingston589

Holydiver85

Seem to be a lot of reccomendations for Injustice. Is it really that good? I may just have to try it out myself.

CanisWolfred
Splat

You might try Tekken Revolution. It's free to play and only takes about 2 GB's of space to download. I wouldn't say it's a great game but for free I found it solid.

Isn't there only one fighter available for free, though?

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Splat
CanisWolfred
Splat

Isn't there only one fighter available for free, though?

There is like 7 or 8? I can't remember off the top of my head. It's been awhile since I played it but I know there is a handful of fighters available from the start.

Scollurio

This thread and the EVO tournaments of this year as well as the MKX reveal made me practice MK9 again. Argh. If anyone is up for a good old smackin' of yer faces, lemme know!

#supportindies
Top 5 Indies I'd recommend you try: #1 Lovecraft's Untold Stories, #2 Moonlighter, #3 Hotline Miami, #4 Inside, #5 Into the Breach.

Gamer83

Mortal Kombat 9 and Street Fighter IV would be my top two picks. They take a lot to master but they're definitely games you can also pick up and have fun without learning all the tricks. Injustice, Dead or Alive 5 and Tekken Tag 2 are others I'd recommend.

Gamer83

Tasuki

Dang I hate you guys   All this talk about fighters on the PS3 has really made me start to think of getting a PS3.

Yeah I have my son has an Xbox 360 but I just like the feel of the PS controller over the Xbox does that make sense to any of you?

Well maybe I will see what kind of bundles the PS3 will have this holiday season.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

Scollurio

If anyone of you is up for some MK9 Matches, give me a holler!

#supportindies

Splat
Tasuki

Dang I hate you guys   All this talk about fighters on the PS3 has really made me start to think of getting a PS3.

Yeah I have my son has an Xbox 360 but I just like the feel of the PS controller over the Xbox does that make sense to any of you?

Well maybe I will see what kind of bundles the PS3 will have this holiday season.

I have never owned an Xbox mainly because of the controller.

Edited on by Splat

Holydiver85

@Scollurio I might have to take you up on that tonight. Its been a while so Im a little rusty but I imagine I could give you a run for your money.

• Page 1 of 1

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.