Forums

Topic: Looking to buy a Vita - which model and games?

Posts 1 to 8 of 8

ninjafox

I am considering getting a Vita and wonder which model (original or slim) is best? I really like the look of Tearaway and Tales of Hearts which is due for release later this year.

I know the Vita isn't selling well but as a Wii U owner I also know that it isn't necessarily because of a lack of decent games more public perception.

So what games would Vita owners recommend?

Can't decide if it is worth investing in a Vita or not, please help me Push Square!

ninjafox

Doctor_BK

I have been a Vita owner since its release, and I would highly recommend it. I love my Vita, and I play it almost everyday. I would recommend the original model because the OLED screen is oh-so-beautiful. Games look amazing on that thing.

Here's a list of must haves that I've played (in no order):

Tearaway
Uncharted: Golden Abyss
Killzone: Mercenary
Gravity Rush
Borderlands 2
Assassins Creed: Liberation
LittleBigPlanet
Super Stardust Delta

Other games I recommend:

NFS: Most Wanted
Persona 4: Golden
Thomas Was Alone
Guacamelee

"Flame, dear, flame."

PSN: GrzzlyWzrd

moomoo

The most imperative thing is that you get a large memory card. 32 gb at the least, although now I'd recommend just importing the 64 gb card. It's not much more expensive on Amazon, and it'll work on any Vita model from any country.

Secondly, you'll want Playstation Plus. The games you get off of the instant game collection right at the get-go will make it worth it, especially since WipEout, Uncharted, and Gravity Rush seem to be there indefinitely. Gravity Rush in particular really connected with me. Also, with the permeation of indie games with cross buy showing up, it's likely that more of those will be offered as a part of it as PS3 games, meaning that you may get more than 2 Vita-only games a month in addition to the aforementioned 3 games.

Vita-only games I love are Persona 4 Golden (that metascore is completely deserved), Ys: Celceta, Lumines: Electronic Symphony (if you can get it cheap), Killzone: Mercenary, and Tearaway.

Some fantastic port jobs include every single fighting game on the Vita (Dead or Alive 5 being my favorite), Sonic and All Stars Racing: Transformed, The Walking Dead, Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3, Muramasa: Rebirth, Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD, and Borderlands 2.
*Note: I'd look at video footage of the Vita version of Borderlands 2 if you are unsure. If you're really experienced with the PC/PS3/360 version, you may be put off.

Indie games on the Vita are really freaking great. Hotline Miami, Spelunky, Lone Survivor, Velocity: Ultra, Guacamelee, and TxK are some of my favorites.

Frankly, there are very few games I've come across on the Vita that I wouldn't recommend. The library is incredibly solid.

If you have never owned a PSP, then you are in for a massive amount of games. Too many for me to list, although some of the standouts are Persona 3 Portable, Final Fantasy: Dissidia Duodecim, the God of War games, Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker, and Valkyria Chronicles 2 (although you'll need a PS3 to get that one).

Most PS1 games have aged really poorly. The Square RPGs have aged well, though, as well as Metal Gear Solid 1 and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. MGS is another one you'll have to transfer from a PS3.

Hope this helps!

Best thread ever
Feel free to add me on Miiverse or PSN.
Miiverse is Moomoo14, PSN is Moomoo1405390

PSN: moomoo1405390

Gamer83

A game I really enjoyed that I haven't seen mentioned yet is Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time. It's a really solid platformer. Dragon's Crown and SineMora are cool too and if you like sports games, can't go wrong with MLB The Show.

Gamer83

Kage_88

It's definitely worth picking one up. I waited for a while before making my purchase, but when I did, I was oh-so-happy.

If you can, find an original OLED model - and like moomoo said, invest in a 64 gb card straight away.

On top of Doctor_BK's list, I would also try:

Fez
LIMBO
Spelunky
Rayman Origins & Legends
Machinarium
Velocity Ultra
Final Fantasy X/X-2 Remaster
Tales From Space: Mutant Blobs Attack
Hotline Miami
Sine Mora
Mortal Kombat
Terraria
TxK
Sound Shapes
PixelJunk Monsters: Ultimate HD
Zero Escape: Virtues Last Reward
Bit.Trip Presents...Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien
Lumines: Electronic Symphony
Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath HD
Luftrausers
BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Extend
Ys: Memories of Celceta
Quell Memento
The Walking Dead Season One
Fuel Tiracas
MGS HD Collection
Soul Sacrifice Delta
DJMAX Technika Tune
Lone Survivor: The Director's Cut
Stick it to the Man!
Gunslugs
Hatsune Miku: Project Diva f 
Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3
Dead or Alive 5 Plus
Atelier Totori Plus: The Adventurer of Arland
Street Fighter X Tekken
Atelier Totori Plus: The Adventurer of Arland
The Sly Collection
Wipeout 2048
Knytt Underground
Retro City Rampage
OlliOlli
Switch Galaxy
Surge & Surge Deluxe
The Pinball Arcade
Castlestorm
Muramasa Rebirth
OMG HD Zombies!
MotorStorm RC
Dragon's Crown
Stealth Inc.
Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention
SunFlowers
Puddle
Proteus
Tokyo Jungle Mobile
Plants vs. Zombies
Floating Cloud God Saves the Pilgrims in HD!
PulzAR
Hot Shots Golf
Rocketbirds: Hardboiled Chicken
Kung Fu Rabbit
Hustle Kings
Sonic & All-Stars Racing
rymdkapsel
PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale
Jak & Daxter Collection
New Little King's Story
Rainbow Moon

Let's not forget the wide range of classic PS One and PSP games. Personal favourites of mine include Daxter, MGS: Peace Walker, Alundra, Tomba 1 & 2, Final Fantasy VII, VIII & IX, Arc the Lad, Siphon Filter and Vagrant Story.

... Who says the Vita has no games?

Edited on by Kage_88

Nintendo Network ID: KrissB

3DS: 2621-2629-6453

Xbox Live: GonkDroid88

PSN: Kriss_B

Steam ID: kage_88

GOG ID: KrissB

Feel free to add me!

20thPaul

I personally like the slim model better. The screen still looks nice whereas the original was often too bright on my eyes, even at lower settings (I never owned it but played a few friends' vitas). The slim is also a little smaller, lighter and the longer battery life is VERY nice.

For games, I definitely recommend Persona 4, as everyone else does! Since I bought that game I haven't even played either of my other vita games. It is that fun. It starts out a little slow though so don't let that discourage you.

I see Wipeout 2048 on a few other comments. I was thinking of getting that game as well but the long loading times worry me... I do have Wipeout Pulse on psp and really enjoyed that one but I think the waiting times would grate on me.

I love rpgs and platformers the most... racing games are good too!
I have a black dsi and a blue 3DS. :D
"Sometimes we put up walls, not to keep people out, but rather to see who will take the time to break them down."
3DS friend code: 3695 0029 5257

Ralizah

The OLED Vita's screen is STUNNING. Games on the new model just look washed out in comparison. The design of the new model is superior in most other aspects, however.

As to which games to get...

Gravity Rush
Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention (although the fourth game is coming out on Vita in September, so you might want to wait for that)
Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc
Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward
Persona 4 Golden
Rayman Origins
Tearaway

Those are the most impressive games I've played thus far.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

JaxonH

I'd say get the OLED screen original model if you can, and just the normal version- not the 3G version. Kinda pointless having to pay ANOTHER monthly subscription for garbage 3G internet that isn't going to be enough for online gaming anyways.
Besides, you'll find that most of your time spent is at home, or somewhere else that has broadband. So you can just connect to the WiFi signal of wherever you're at.

As for games, there's a decent selection but a lot of them are so-so. If you want a short list of MUST-HAVE games, look no further than this list here:

Rayman Origins
Rayman Legends
Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD
God of War HD Collection
Borderlands 2
Persona 4 Golden
Gravity Rush
Wipeout 2048
Sly Cooper Collection
PS All Stars Battle Royale
Sonic Racing Transformed
Uncharted Golden Abyss

That's the games that I'd list as top priority. There's quite a few second tier games though- I'll give you a quick rundown

Killzone Mercenary
Tearaway
Sly Cooper Thieves In Time
Soul Sacrifice
Y's Memories of Celceta
Toukiden
Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 Plus
Assassin's Creed 3 Liberation
Injustice
Muramasa
Metal Gear Solid HD Collection

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

PSN: jaxonholden

• Page 1 of 1

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.