Forums

Topic: Playstation 3 as a media hub?

Posts 1 to 6 of 6

Tasuki

Ok so in a few weeks I will be moving into a new apartment with my son and I want to make sure that everyroom has some sort of way to watch movies, shows etc in it.  Right now I have my PS4, Xbox 360 and Wii U all hooked up to one TV.  When I move I am not going to get cable or satellite cause quite frankly everything I watch is either on the normal networks NBC, CBS, ABC etc or Netflix.  I was thinking of getting a subscription to Hulu so I can watch the shows I watch now when I can (due to my job schedule it's very hard for me to watch them when they air). Also I will be getting a sub to the WWE Network so I can keep up with my wrestling. So here is my ideal set up

The main room will have my PS4 and Wii U hooked up to a tv so that way I can watch DVDS/Blurays on the PS4 and be able to stream Netflix and Hulu on the main tv.  The Wii U is in there cause my son likes to use Wii Fit  and that has the most room where he can use it.  Also when I have company over we can play games on the Wii U and PS4

My sons room will have the Xbox 360 cause he likes to watch Youtube plus he will be able to watch Netflix and play Xbox 360 games on it since he plays that system more and watch DVDS on it.

Now in my room I have the following options to take in consideration I can either get a cheap bluray player to watch DVD/Blurays and a Roku box to stream Netflix, Hulu and WWE Network on it.  Or don't laugh I was thinking of getting a PS3 so that way I can stream stuff and watch DVDs/Blurays on it. 

Now I am looking for the most cost effective measure also I am not to interested in playing games on the PS3 (I will probably pick up The Last of Us to see what all the hype is about) but most of the games I want to play I have on another system.  Also what apps for streaming stuff does the PS3 have, is it the same ones as the PS4?

Thanks for any and all input.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

Jaz007

I think the PS3 has all the apps the PS4 has, or at least all the ones you'd want. You can check the PS store to double check. https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork. … 2083847301

I also highly recommend you look into Uncharted, inFamous, Sly Cooper Collection/Thieves in Time, Ico & Shadow of the Colossus, and Ni No Kuni. They are all excellent exclusives that would be well worth your time.

Edited on by Jaz007

Jaz007

Epic

Get a PS3, if you have already paying a PS+ account for your PS4 it will give you a bunch of games each month for PS3 here's a link with this month's game available on the IGC:
http://us.playstation.com/playstation-p … s_01_30_14

It will be able to work as you mediahub and from time to time gaming machine.
If you aren't planning to paying for PS+ or don't have it don't get a PS3.

PSN: Epic-ZX

PSN: Epic-ZX

Splat

The PS3 can do everything you want DVD/Blurays,YouTube,Netflix,Hulu and WWE Network plus plays games.

Dragon's Dogma 2 Pawn ID: OM7GKB029K3D

PSN: Splathew

Tasuki

@Jaz007:  Yeah I have a working PS2 so I already played Ico and Shadow of the Colossus great games indeed. 

@Epic:  Yes I do have a PS+ account for my PS4 which is good until November.

@Splat:  Yeah that's what I figured as well though I dont need games I already have so many in my backlog that I need to get too so that's one reason I was trying to keep clear of a PS3, I don't need more games for my back log.  lol

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

rjejr

I know its a month later but if you are still in the market - I've been using my PS3 for a bunch of multimedia lately. I watched Comedians in Cars Getting Coffe on Crackle, I transfer stuff to thumbdrive to watch - not MVK fomat though - and for MVK format I use the free PS3 Media Server on my laptop (running Win 7) to stream videos over the network - both laptop and PS3 are on ethernet cables so I don't know how well it works on Wi-Fi. And of course PS3 has Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon VOD and a couple of anime subscription channels - Crunchyroll and at least one other, got to watch the first episode of Attack on Titan. There's also a MLB channel that I watch 2 - 3 minute game recaps on. And I do all f this w/ my DS3, I've never had a remote. Even blu-rays are fine w/ the DS3.

I did just buy my parents an $80 Sony blu-ray player that can do most of that, and several other channels, so if you really don't want to game that could be a way to go.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AWK … UTF8&psc=1

Someday we'll find it
The rainbow connection
The lovers, the dreamers and me

• Page 1 of 1

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.