Forums

Topic: Gran Turismo 6 GameSpot review. Rant.

Posts 1 to 20 of 28

RisefromAshes

Gamespot has given Gran Turismo 6 a 7/10. That's not the point of contention here.

What makes me angry is the reviewer (who I'm not going to name) deducted points because quote, "Acquiring the best cars is either a time-consuming grind or a major expense".

This is an invalid argument and absolutely unacceptable.

There are plenty of games which require "grinding" to obtain certain unlockable items etc or have micro transactions in the game.

I could cite a ton of RPGS that have grinding to level up and unlock certain special attributes etc.

Oh, btw, Forza MotorSport 5 has microtransactions in it too. In fact, there was a row regarding the price of the in-game cars.

I'm sorry, but this is a blatant example of incompetent reviewing. Giving one franchise a leg up and the other a thumbs down.

P.S. I'll never forgive GameSpot for giving The Last Of Us an 8/10. Omg. What possessed them to give it a score below that of a yearly update of COD. Geez.

What do you think about this? Do I have a point? Am I just raging for the sake of it?

Let me know your thoughts.

Edited on by Tasuki

RisefromAshes

Tasuki

Honestly I think you are raging for the sake of raging.  I dont see any problem with the reviewer giving it a score for that reason.  Yeah RPG's have grinding points but you except that from an RPG not so much in a racing game. 

If it was me I probably would have knocked off points for the same reason.  I dont think that a game should make you choose between a time consuming grind or your wallet.  Its fine if they want to add microtransactions but don't punish us just because we dont either have the funds or dont want to use the funds for parts, car, levels, items etc.  But then again if it was easy to obtain then they wouldn't be making money on the microtransactions.  Honestly when a game goes down this road I pass on it.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

RisefromAshes
Tasuki

Honestly I think you are raging for the sake of raging.  I dont see any problem with the reviewer giving it a score for that reason.  Yeah RPG's have grinding points but you except that from an RPG not so much in a racing game. 

If it was me I probably would have knocked off points for the same reason.  I dont think that a game should make you choose between a time consuming grind or your wallet.  Its fine if they want to add microtransactions but don't punish us just because we dont either have the funds or dont want to use the funds for parts, car, levels, items etc.  But then again if it was easy to obtain then they wouldn't be making money on the microtransactions.  Honestly when a game goes down this road I pass on it.

Yes. RPGs are popular with grinding to level up, but it's not a detriment. Grinding in GT 6 is winning races. Also, micro transactions were in Forza Motorsport 5. I didn't see any reviewers punishing that game for having ludicrous prices for its cars.

The GameSpot review is flawed for this reason.

If that reviewer can have his opinion then so can I.

Grinding is not a flaw. It is a means to extend a game's life.

P.S. GT 6 has around 1200 cars. You think Polyphony should hand them out like they're cheap? I think it's a positive that they make gamers play the game to "earn" the cars. Nothing wrong with that.

Edited on by RisefromAshes

RisefromAshes

moomoo

Why does someone else's opinion matter?

Best thread ever
Feel free to add me on Miiverse or PSN.
Miiverse is Moomoo14, PSN is Moomoo1405390

PSN: moomoo1405390

RisefromAshes
MadchesterManc

Gran Turismo has always had the grind so deducting points for that is a little odd. If you dont make use of the micro transactions it plays just like any other Gran Turismo game as far as im aware

Precisely. Also, micro transactions are in other games. WHY DON'T GAMESPOT PUNISH THEM?!? I hate it when they go down this route. Giving one franchise a thumbs up and another a thumbs down.

Whenever I go on that site and see "Sponsored by Xbox One". I get REALLY ANGRY. I've been going on that site for over 15 years. Back in the 1990's, they were small and respected. Now, they're just making school boy errors in their reviews. Annoying and infuriating. To top that off, they're sponsored by Sony's main rival.

Yeah. Like I can't see the "influence" that will have on reviews for Sony exclusives.

P.S. "Love is a device invented by bank managers to make us overdrawn" AJ Rimmer<---- This is taken from Series 3 in Red Dwarf. I'm a big Red Dwarf too.

RisefromAshes

Tasuki

Well first off did the same reviewer also do the review for Forza 5?  If not well then different people have different opinions even if they work for the same company/site.

Also grinding can be a flaw and not its not a means to extend a games life.  If you want to extend a game's life then do so in story mode or online mode but honestly doing the same thing over and over and over and over is not extending the game.  I dont want to be racing the same races over and over.  I dont think that they should just hand the cars over but aren't they pretty much doing that by having the option to buy them?  So why cant they just hand them over for those who already paid the $60 for the game?

But honestly the way you just answered my post I can see that if I say anything negative about Gran Turismo you are going to argue.

My Backlog

RisefromAshes
Tasuki

Well first off did the same reviewer also do the review for Forza 5?  If not well then different people have different opinions even if they work for the same company/site.

Also grinding can be a flaw and not its not a means to extend a games life.  If you want to extend a game's life then do so in story mode or online mode but honestly doing the same thing over and over and over and over is not extending the game.  I dont want to be racing the same races over and over.  I dont think that they should just hand the cars over but aren't they pretty much doing that by having the option to buy them?  So why cant they just hand them over for those who already paid the $60 for the game?

But honestly the way you just answered my post I can see that if I say anything negative about Gran Turismo you are going to argue.

I'm not a Gran Turismo fan boy. I read the review and thought about it very carefully. I just don't see how grinding is a flaw. This is the FIRST instance it has been brought up as a flaw for a game. I'm sitting here thinking, "Are you serious?". "Making up" flaws now are we? Or, did a Microsoft executive whisper in your ear?

RisefromAshes

Tasuki

I dont see how I am making up flaws, its a matter of opinion thats all.   In fact this may surprise you but I do play World of Warcraft so I know all about grinding, however I am not one for grinding.  I dont see the point of doing the same thing over and over and over just to be able to proceed in a game.

I like being able to progress with the story I have very little gaming time and honestly I want to advance the story in the time I have.  If I have to say battle a goblin over and over and over just to be able to take on the next dungeon, I dont feel accomplished to me it feels more like a chore.  Games should be fun not a chore.

If you enjoy grinding then hey more power too you.

My Backlog

RisefromAshes
Tasuki

I dont see how I am making up flaws, its a matter of opinion thats all.   In fact this may surprise you but I do play World of Warcraft so I know all about grinding, however I am not one for grinding.  I dont see the point of doing the same thing over and over and over just to be able to proceed in a game.

I like being able to progress with the story I have very little gaming time and honestly I want to advance the story in the time I have.  If I have to say battle a goblin over and over and over just to be able to take on the next dungeon, I dont feel accomplished to me it feels more like a chore.  Games should be fun not a chore.

If you enjoy grinding then hey more power too you.

How is unlocking 1200 cars a chore? It isn't.

Had this been a PS1 or PS2 game then I GUARANTEE you people would be talking about the sheer content in the game. Grinding out the 1200 cars is a positive. Not a negative.

If we were talking about several hundred cars and you had to grind to get them then I would concur that it is a flaw. But, grinding to eventually unlock 1200 cars. Come on. That's a positive. No racer has that many cars in it.

Btw, I was referring to the GameSpot reviewer who made up the flaw. Not you.

I'm certain this isn't the end of this debacle. GameSpot didn't include Uncharted 3 among their GOTY nominess back in 2011. They gave The Last Of Us an 8/10. Now, GT 6 gets "grinding" given as a negative. Let's see what GameSpot say about the up coming Sony exclusives next year. I'm sure they'll give Microsoft a helping hand.

RisefromAshes

Tasuki

Ah sorry bout that I thought you meant that I was making up flaws. No worries

Anyway I suggest if you are this unhappy with Gamespot well then maybe you should stop going there, just a suggestion.

And btw 1200 is several hundred.

My Backlog

RisefromAshes
Tasuki

Ah sorry bout that I thought you meant that I was making up flaws. No worries

Anyway I suggest if you are this unhappy with Gamespot well then maybe you should stop going there, just a suggestion.

And btw 1200 is several hundred.

GameSpot is the most popular review outlet on the internet. It, also, has a dark history with its reviews. Back in 2007, a reviewer of GameSpot (Jeff Gerstmann) was fired because he gave Kane & Lynch: Dead Men a 6/10 and Eidos Interactive (who published it and were heavily advertising on GameSpot at the time) were rumoured to be behind his sacking. Gerstmann confirmed that was the case in 2012 when he was interviewed about it. In fact, several other reviewers, namely: Ryan Davis, Alex Navarro and Brad Shoemaker, left GameSpot because they felt the site was untrustworthy.

Now, we have Microsoft pumping money into sponsoring it in relation to Xbox One. Do you really think Sony's exclusives will get a fair shake?

Think about it carefully and you'll agree I'm right. Especially, if you look at the recent history of Gamespot's reviews. They're becoming more and more untrustworthy and it's just wrong.

RisefromAshes

Tasuki

Well as the saying goes money talks and ******** walks.  Its is sad that a place like Gamespot is selling out to corporations but if that's the way they want to do business it will catch up to them sooner or later.  Sooner or later people will stop going there and that will be that.

Myself I wont go to places like that or I wont take their reviews seriously, still we dont know the truth, the review could be an honest opinion then again it may not. 

I honestly think you are just upset cause he didn't agree with you.  What are other sites saying about the game?  If they are saying the same thing well then it might not be the site.

My Backlog

Gamer83

This just seems like an 'I hate Gamespot' thread, and I can't say I disagree with that sentiment, for numerous reasons I won't get into. But a few things. While I hate double standards in reviews if two strong competitors in the same genre are reviewed by the same person, I can't call out the reviews if they're done by different people. I do believe in consistency so if one person pans one racing game for something and gives it a 7 and then turns around and pans another one for the same reason but gives it a 10, that person loses credibility. I've noticed, though, that most sites have different reviewers for all these games. If that's the case with the GT 6 and Forza 5 reviews at Gamespot, nothing you can really argue here. Two people, two differing views.

As for the other stuff, I think The Last of Us is a 9 at the very least but 8 is still a great score. Uncharted 3 wasn't nominated for Game of the Year 2011 because it wasn't close to GOTY material and certainly not a 10/10 like IGN and many PlayStation-dedicated websites and magazines gave it. Good game, no question, but it was a disappointment and pretty overrated and that's coming from somebody who is a big Uncharted fan. I love 1, 2 and Golden Abyss and would put 2 in my top 5 games for the entire gen.

Edited on by Gamer83

Gamer83

Scollurio

Really interesting conversation here and I think we generally all agree that IGN and gamespot suck in a way. Good. I just posted a lengthy review kind of thing about Gran Turismo 6 because I really think many professional reviewers don't "get" the game. That said I believe if there is a racing game, a racing game fan should review it. Same with every other genre. And saying that obtaining everything in Gran Turismo 6 is a grind is a bit odd and stupid. Because what is it you do in a racing game? You basically run in circles for hours on end and gain prizes. Done. Sure it's a grind. So is Monster Hunter, so is Diablo 3. But it's a vital and completely normal part of the gameplay experience so deducting points for that to me means that the reviewer didn't "get" the game.

And as for Forza. For me as long time EX-Forza player, the franchise has way bigger problems than micro transactions, starting with Dan Greenawalt being the lead of it all.

It's a bit like this to me, Gran Turismo guys are the guys on the racetrack, racing, feeling the sports, smelling the gasoline, living it, and the Forza guys (the dev teams I mean) are the people having the big Poster of a nude girl sitting on a yellow Lamborghini above their bed. And this is also reflected in the focus on different things in their games.

I gotta stop now before it turns into a rant.

#supportindies
Top 5 Indies I'd recommend you try: #1 Lovecraft's Untold Stories, #2 Moonlighter, #3 Hotline Miami, #4 Inside, #5 Into the Breach.

PSN: Scollurio | Twitter:

Scollurio
Tasuki

While I do get where you're coming from, its a vital part to "earn" those cars. If we would pay 60 euro for Diablo 3 and upon entering the town you have a big chest where you can freely select all the gear you want the point of playing the game would be lost. Same with Gran Turismo. It's not like it's hard or overly time consuming to earn those cars. Assuming you like to RACE in a racing game (which should be the reason you got it in the first place anyways) you just do your thing, race, and you'll have enough money and gift cars, no cheating or buying for real money needed. Reviewers often don't get that and it makes me think they are from that crazy crap new generation of gamers that want everything now even though it would spoil the whole meaning of the game to them. Not saying you're such a guy, I meant generally.

#supportindies
Top 5 Indies I'd recommend you try: #1 Lovecraft's Untold Stories, #2 Moonlighter, #3 Hotline Miami, #4 Inside, #5 Into the Breach.

PSN: Scollurio | Twitter:

RisefromAshes
Gamer83

This just seems like an 'I hate Gamespot' thread, and I can't say I disagree with that sentiment, for numerous reasons I won't get into. But a few things. While I hate double standards in reviews if two strong competitors in the same genre are reviewed by the same person, I can't call out the reviews if they're done by different people. I do believe in consistency so if one person pans one racing game for something and gives it a 7 and then turns around and pans another one for the same reason but gives it a 10, that person loses credibility. I've noticed, though, that most sites have different reviewers for all these games. If that's the case with the GT 6 and Forza 5 reviews at Gamespot, nothing you can really argue here. Two people, two differing views.

As for the other stuff, I think The Last of Us is a 9 at the very least but 8 is still a great score. Uncharted 3 wasn't nominated for Game of the Year 2011 because it wasn't close to GOTY material and certainly not a 10/10 like IGN and many PlayStation-dedicated websites and magazines gave it. Good game, no question, but it was a disappointment and pretty overrated and that's coming from somebody who is a big Uncharted fan. I love 1, 2 and Golden Abyss and would put 2 in my top 5 games for the entire gen.

Uncharted 3 was over-rated and you loved the other games? Are you serious? Uncharted 3 made more advancements in gameplay than any other Uncharted game. Drake can throw back grenades, do simultaneous melee counters and perform stealth in virtually every situation. Uncharted 2 was a perfect game. Uncharted 3 "perfects" the Uncharted gameplay. What's funny is that Uncharted 3 was not nominated by GameSpot as GOTY but Gears of War 3 took its place instead. Yeah. That makes sense. Gears of War 3 has some "revolutionary" gameplay, right? Take cover and shoot. Nothing more added to it over the course of the trilogy. Uncharted has cover, shooting, platforming, treasure hunting, stealth and so on. No competition between the two. Uncharted 3 beats Gears of War 3.

Again. Microsoft needed a helping hand and they got it from GameSpot.

RisefromAshes

Tasuki

You know what I hate to ruin your whole Gamespot is getting a helping hand from Microsoft but I was just on Gamefaqs (which is owned by the same company as Gamespot which is CBS interactive) and they have a huge banner for a PSN sale.   So does that mean GameFAQs is getting a helping hand from Sony?

Its clear you are unhappy with GameSpot and its clear that not matter what others say you are going to cling that Sony and the Sony franchises are the best.  You have  your opinion and others have theirs just cause their opinions are different doesn't mean there is a conspiracy behind it?

They way you are going on and on with Gran Tursimo and Uncharted does that mean Sony needs a helping hand and they are getting it from you?

Heck right now as it stands I would rate Gears of War 3 higher then Uncharted, but I have never played Uncharted but honestly I am more interested in Gears of War then Uncharted.

People have different opinions and you need to respect theirs as much as they respect yours,  If you dont agree with Gamespot then don't go there.  Forget the scores and what others say play what you like and let them play what they like.  ANd just keep in mind that reviews are opinions.

My Backlog

RisefromAshes
Tasuki

You know what I hate to ruin your whole Gamespot is getting a helping hand from Microsoft but I was just on Gamefaqs (which is owned by the same company as Gamespot which is CBS interactive) and they have a huge banner for a PSN sale.   So does that mean GameFAQs is getting a helping hand from Sony?

Its clear you are unhappy with GameSpot and its clear that not matter what others say you are going to cling that Sony and the Sony franchises are the best.  You have  your opinion and others have theirs just cause their opinions are different doesn't mean there is a conspiracy behind it?

They way you are going on and on with Gran Tursimo and Uncharted does that mean Sony needs a helping hand and they are getting it from you?

Heck right now as it stands I would rate Gears of War 3 higher then Uncharted, but I have never played Uncharted but honestly I am more interested in Gears of War then Uncharted.

People have different opinions and you need to respect theirs as much as they respect yours,  If you dont agree with Gamespot then don't go there.  Forget the scores and what others say play what you like and let them play what they like.  ANd just keep in mind that reviews are opinions.

Nice rant. You made mine look minor in comparison. Lol.

Sony don't "sponsor" reviewing outlets. They advertise on them. That's make gamers "aware" of their console(s) and games. Sponsoring a website like GameSpot is like saying, "What we say goes".

Your rating of Gears of War is invalid because you've never played Uncharted. Also, gamers and critics give thumbs up to Uncharted as the best TPS franchise. Nothing comes near it.

You prefer Gears of War: Judgement, right? Great game. LOL. Not really.

Saying, "reviews are opinions" is a cheap cop out. Reviews are there to be honest and fair. When you have a reviewer saying grinding is a flaw and nobody else does then you have a legitimate reason to be offended as a gamer. The integrity and honesty of that site is called into question. As it should be.

What? We should be sheep? Just sit here and let reviewers give out awful reviews? No.

I'm doing the right thing in making a deal out of it. This is not fanboyism. This is honest talk.

RisefromAshes

Tasuki

Where is your proof that Microsoft is sponsoring Gamspot.  Just because you didn't agree with a review? 

As for me perhaps Gears of War Judgement is a great game to me

You prefer Gran Turismo 6 right? Great game LOL Not really.

See what I did there.

And reviews are opinions is not a cheap cop out.  Its the truth.  How can games be honest and fair?  If I dont like a game I dont like a game its that simple.  People have different views thats all.  That's why I for one read several reviews before jumping to a conclusion. 

You need to realize that not everyone is going to agree with you and when you realize and the thousands of people who think like you realize that the world will be a better place.

My Backlog

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.