Forums

Topic: Your Favorite Games of 2019

Posts 21 to 26 of 26

Gremio108

@JohnnyShoulder Jury's out on Shenmue III for me. I can't seem to make any real progress with it, since December has been so busy, so that's not helping. I need to really get stuck into it in the new year. What little I've played has been up and down though. Sometimes I'm playing it and loving it, sometimes I've got one eye on the other games on the shelf.

I just got Horizon Zero Dawn and The Outer Worlds for Christmas, so it's going to be even harder to see it through now...

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

DerMeister

I've got five picks, in no particular order-

God of War III: After running through the previous games last year, and playing this this year, God of War III is the high point of Kratos' classic adventures. The combat is still enjoyable, with a major improvement in giving Kratos more fleshed out weapons besides his blades. Along with great PS3 era graphics, and a story at it's boiling point with Kratos' war against Olympus, leading to many epic moments, God of War III was a great end to the series' original saga.

Kingdom Hearts III: As a fan dating back to the series' 2002 debut, the wait for a proper console entry since the west got KH2 in 2006 was pretty crazy. 2019 finally gave me what I wanted and I was happy. While it was disappointing that the game didn't have the amount of content the other titles had, the great action RPG gameplay, graphics that are among the best of this generation, and ultimately seeing the end of a long running story arc that literally took up most of my life made the wait worth it for me.

Devil May Cry 5: 2019 was the year the real Dante stood back up, giving us the DMC action that's been wanted since 2008's DMC4. I can sing the praises of DMC's sterling action, but you can't hear it through text. Playing as Dante, Nero, and newcomer V is some of the most fun I've had playing a video game, and putting it together with a soundtrack to kill demons to, the RE Engine's gorgeously gory graphics, and a story for longtime fans like me. DMC5 was always gonna be here.

Horizon: Zero Dawn: I have been praising this game a lot recently. I'm honestly surprised at how much I like it considering I've been done with open world games for a while now. A well detailed world that feels alive despite being mostly populated with machines, enjoyable gameplay with plenty of approaches for combat, graphics that are nothing short of amazing, and a nicely done take on the usual "Hero's Journey" story make this in my opinion the PS4's definitive exclusive.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: As someone who only got a Switch last month, therefore having not enough time to finish Fire Emblem: Three Houses, I'll have to put my other favorite Switch game here. Ultimate is like a Nintendo fan's perfect game, and probably the most complete Smash Bros we'll get. Every playable character in the series and then some, many of the stages from previous games and then some, and plenty of Smash's extra game modes are here, ensuring that it'll be difficult to find nothing to do. I recommend it regardless of having played Smash Bros before or not.

Honorable Mention - Yakuza 0: I haven't finished this game, so it's not on the main list. You can blame Real Estate Royale for that. I've spent enough time on this game, it's hard to say I don't like it. Being able to see how Kiryu and Majima started out after playing Kiwami is a treat, and with the world being as lively as it was before, it's a difficult title to put down. Unless you dislike Real Estate Royale like I do, anyway. Aside from that, the minigames, including classic Sega arcade games Fantasy Zone and OutRun, are as fun as ever, the combat is great, the soundtrack is nice, and I'm as invested in the story as I was in Kiwami, which was my favorite part of that game, actually. Here's to finishing it in 2020.

"We don't get to choose how we start in this life. Real 'greatness' is what you do with the hand you're dealt." -Victor Sullivan
"Building the future and keeping the past alive are one and the same thing." -Solid Snake

PSN: HeartBreakJake95

JohnnyShoulder

@Gremio108 The Outer Worlds is awesome, if you liked Fallout 3, New Vegas and 4 you will love it. It feels like the game 4 should have been, with the dialogue options from the previous games minus the rubbish base building. Plus less brown.

@KratosMD I not played any of the previous games and I fancied backing something on Kickstarter when it got annouced.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

JohnnyShoulder

@Gremio108 @Arugula It is not without it's faults as it sometimes can look a bit fugly and the missions can feel a bit samey. Maybe that was my fault as the way I levelled up my character, I didn't get to see the more zany powers until I respecced late in the game. There are a couple of other tips like playing the game on Hard as It gets quite easy on Normal after you reached about level 10, and to set your companions to Defensive as otherwise they end up killing everything before you get a chance to do anything. Which i found became a bit boring. I appreciated the fact that there were quite a few ways to approach most of the missions. I loved the whole B-movie feel of the game, it was like I was on the set of something like the original Lost in Space. Overall I really enjoyed and it got me out of my gaming doldrum that I was in.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

crimsontadpoles

I was waiting until the new year for this just in case anything squeezed onto the list at the last moment, so here's my list. All the things that made the top 10 are games that that I really enjoyed, and in particular choosing the order for the 2nd, 3rd and 4th place games was very tricky.

10 - Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back (N Sane Trilogy) (PS4): It's a good remake of the wonderful PS1 platformer. The difficulty has a better balance than the first game, and the levels are well designed.
9 - Xenoblade Chronicles 3D (3DS): 3DS port of the original Wii game. It took me a long time to really get used to the battle mechanics, but the story and the characters really made this game a great experience.
8 - Super Smash Bros Ultimate (Switch): It brings back all of the fighters from past Smash games along with some new faces, and has a wide array of arenas and different game modes. The game is packed full of content, making the Ultimate in the name well justified.
7 - The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D (3DS): Remake of the N64 game. It's arguably the most weird and wacky of the Zelda games with it's repeated 3 day cycle and with a moon slowly crashing down to earth. Also one of the best Zelda games.
6 - Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4): It's an extension of World, featuring a new icy area along with various new monsters. Each fight with a new monster feels like an epic battle against a huge beast with deadly attacks. I felt that World was a bit lacking in the more unusual and wacky monsters, and Iceborne helps to resolve that.
5 - Hitman 2 (2018) (including the Hitman 1 (2016) levels in the legacy DLC pack) (PS4): Play as an assassin in large sandbox levels, trying to kill the target in any way possible. There's plenty of different items and uniforms that can be used to help achieve the kill. The areas are dynamic and have a lot going on, and the game encourages you to be creative and try different approaches.
4 - The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (PS4): Play as a witcher, which is a sort of powerful bounty hunter who takes down evil creatures for coin. The story is excellently down, and goes plenty of detail. This is also true for side quests. No two side quests are the same, and there's generally a lot of depth to each of them, along with consequences for your actions. It's one of the best RPGs I've ever played.
3 - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations (3DS): The third game in the original trilogy, and my favourite out of the three. It's so tricky to decide whether the first Phoenix Wright or this one is better, but I narrowly prefer this one mainly due to it having my favourite coffee guzzling prosecutor. The story is well written, and the characters are all fairly unique and fun.
2 - Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc (PC): It's a visual novel about some students who are locked inside a school, who are given incentives to kill each other. They'll have to try to figure out what's going on while trying to survive, along with working out who can and can't be trusted. Monokuma is a stuffed bear who seems to be running things, and can quickly switch between a goofy comic relief character and a more sinister character when needed. My main gripe with it was that there's not a lot of story choice, but possibly that was due to me expecting it to be similar to Zero Escape with it's various branching paths and alternate outcomes. But overall, I do really like my visual novel murder games, so really enjoyed Danganronpa THH.
1 - Persona 5 (PS4): A wonderful RPG where you play as a student, and switch between student life and heading into dungeons to battle evil creatures. Usually the player gets the freedom to choose between a wide range of actions each day, such as hanging out with friends, watching a movie, working at a part time job, studying, or heading into a dungeon and battling demons. Time can advance from doing actions, and there's deadlines to meet, so it's a case of trying to balance the time between the different interests. Story for the most part is really well done and the characters are well developed, making it easy to get emotionally attached to them.

Honourable mentions (alphabetical order): Half-Life 1 (PC), Hatsune Miku Project Diva X (PS4), Layton Brothers: Mystery Room (Mobile), Sly Cooper 1 (PS Vita), Splatoon 2 (Switch), Super Mario Galaxy (Wii)

Edited on by crimsontadpoles

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.