Forums

Topic: What (Non-PS4) game are you playing??

Posts 741 to 750 of 750

Ralizah

Fantasy Life is one of the best games on the 3DS. Really tragic that the series went down the mobile rabbit hole and never reappeared. Yet another amazing Level-5 property that'll become irrelevant.

Playing depressing games alone in my cold, dark room <3

PSN: Ralizah

KratosMD

@nessisonett @Ralizah Yeah I never had this game in my crosshairs until now. After having made numerous 3DS purchases, I'm starting to run out of compelling games to buy for the system (only got like four more games to buy, such as Ever Oasis and Miitopia), so I'm definitely putting this one on my watch list.

I think one of the aspects of The Denpa Men that I'm really loving so far is the grinding aspect. The game is in general rather difficult and each dungeon's structure is the opposite from typical dungeon structures, i.e. instead of starting out easy and gradually becoming more difficult, these dungeons are very difficult at first and then become gradually easier the stronger you become. That's because the game wants you learn about its mechanics and apply them right from the start (such as this element being weak to this one and so on), which is probably one of the reasons why I'm liking it so much. Anyway, is the grinding aspect in Fantasy Life like this, i.e. you grind because the game is hard or you grind just for the sake of it?

Also does the game have a clear story and end at some point, or do you just play it forever since there are so many different aspects to this game?

Edited on by KratosMD

KratosMD

Ralizah

@KratosMD Oh, yeah, it's a story-driven JRPG that takes tens of hours to "beat" (i.e. reach the credits). If you want to master all of the various "lives," though, you'll be playing long after the credits finish. Especially if you spring for the DLC, which adds a difficult post-game area to explore, and adds another final level onto the 'life' mastery system.

I'm not sure I'd say the game even has "grinding" to it, unless you mean level grinding to better survive in some of the game's more dangerous areas (which I found to be pretty necessary in the DLC areas, and sometimes before tackling a difficult enemy). Each life, or job, requires you to complete a series of increasingly difficult tasks to go up in rank. For the woodcutter, this means cutting down trees from increasingly more dangerous areas. The warrior, if I remember correctly, has to fight increasingly difficult creatures (there are a number of special boss monsters you can find wandering around various areas in the game that you'll want to fight as well, sort of like Monster Hunter). The cook had to create increasingly more elaborate dishes. etc. Because all of the crafting jobs require the acquisition of resources, all of the lives feed into one-another and cumulatively help you grow stronger. Like, Woodcutting and Carpentry go hand-in-hand, as do Mining and Blacksmithing. You'll probably find yourself frequently switching between lives (which is easy-ish to do; you just go to a desk and request a Life change, which changes you active job) because of this, and most of them feel like they contribute to bettering your character in some way (if I recall correctly, all the Carpenter life does is task you with building furniture, which is mainly good for selling and for decorating the houses you can buy, if you're into that sort of thing; almost everything else is very useful to the JRPG side of the equation).

If you have any 3DS playing friends, the game is a lot of fun in local co-op multiplayer, btw. Still great even if you play it purely single-player, though.

Edited on by Ralizah

nessisonett

@KratosMD If you’re liking the grinding and sheer difficulty of The Denpa Men, SMT IV and it’s expansion are on 3DS and fit both of those categories. There’s also the Etrian Odyssey games. Honestly, the 3DS has the best library of any console I’ve played, I’m still discovering gems on it.

Socks before or after trousers, but never socks before pants, that's the rule. Makes a man look scary, like a chicken.

KratosMD

@Ralizah Sounds good, I've just been intimidated by how much there is to do in this game but like with other similar games with "endless" content, I'll just play until I'm content with it and finish the story. Thanks for the info!

@crimsontadpoles Yeah that's what I'm expecting out of this game as well. I'm just really in a mood to play some JRPGs where I can put on a podcast in the background and do some mindless stuff in the game. So this is definitely up my alley right now!

@nessisonett I wholeheartedly agree. I've been writing on the forums lately that I've been trying out different games on the Vita but I haven't found any that I can get into. It just feels like I've played most of the great stuff on there. On the other hand, I've played like dozens of games on the 3DS, I have dozens of games in my backlog and still there are games like The Denpa Men and Fantasy Life that I'm discovering now. It's absolutely incredible.

If everything goes well, I might place an order for a used copy of Fantasy Life next week since it's only €30, which is a decent price for this type of game.

Edited on by KratosMD

KratosMD

Ralizah

@nessisonett The 3DS is my all-time favorite handheld. Its library isn't as diverse as the original DS', but I feel like the average level of quality of its titles is a lot higher. Also, the majority of its games are still in print and easy to obtain, and it hasn't received any of these irritating limited run releases, making it an easy system to collect for.

@KratosMD Good plan. The content in this game is fairly well-segmented, so I never found it too intimidating, and it's easy enough to sit down and pick back up again later on. The story and music aren't great, but the gameplay loop is extremely addicting.

Edited on by Ralizah

Draco_V_Ecliptic

Legacy Of Kain: Soul Reaver. That's right, the first one after Blood Omen, thoroughly enjoying it so far.

"Guinevere herself was unworthy of the love she inspired, but then a queen steps so lightly, even when crushing a louse.."

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

ApostateMage

Dragon Age 2 for PS3. I love sarcastic Hawke.

ApostateMage

nessisonett

Got myself in the mood for WWF No Mercy. Forgot how much fun it was and the entrances are spot on, albeit in about 180p. Love how The Rock is just known as ROCK.

Socks before or after trousers, but never socks before pants, that's the rule. Makes a man look scary, like a chicken.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic