Forums

Topic: What (Non-PS4) game are you playing??

Posts 741 to 760 of 1,988

Rudy_Manchego

@Tjuz This is on my play list and I'm hoping to review it for another outlet.

Apple Arcade is an absolutely fantastic service (there is of course a But coming). At £4.99 per month I have played a bunch of games that I have loved - NeoCab, Mutazione, What the Golf, Little Orpheus, Over the Alps, Necrobarista, Assemble with Care, Sayonara Wild Hearts. I have Beyond A Steel Sky to play as well. The games are well curated, not extra costs and normally well maintained by the Devs and I'd honestly have paid £10-15 for some of these titles alone.

The issue is that you need to have a fairly recent Apple device and ideally, that device needs to be something that is comfortable to game with. I am lucky in that I had an iPad, iPhone (an 11 from work because I could not afford it without it) and we have an Apple TV in the house that I got as my Chrimbo pressie from my wife. These can all use a PS4 controller natively now so I can easily play with controller which I just need for anything that requires movement. So I'm all set and the service is well worth it - before Covid I used to travel a lot for work so taking the iPad or my DS4 with a phone holder was a cool way to game on the go. However, if you don't have the hardware, it is really hard to recommend the service since it is waaaay too expensive to buy just to game (unless, like me you use the iPad as a parenting subsitute).

Luckily a lot of these games are timed exlcusives I think or do release on other platforms. I know that Sayonara Wild Hearts is cross platform, and several others are planning to roll out to other platforms later.

Edited on by Rudy_Manchego

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

BowTiesAreCool

Sayonara Wild Hearts is class. Top soundtrack, too.

Giving some old SNES games a go on the switch to curb my final fantasy playtime on it. It's basically my portable Final Fantasy console now with 7, 8, 9, 10 and 15 on it.

BowTiesAreCool

Tjuz

@RogerRoger I'd say it's definitely worth a look for 5 dollars in a sale one day, assuming it comes to PS4 one day. It's very noticeably lower budget, and nothing about it screams must-play really. Certainly an option if it's cheap and you're into the genre, however! It's not bad in any way.

@Rudy_Manchego Ah, that's cool you review games for a different outlet! I've seen you talk about playing games such as Mutazione before and I've always been like... does this dude have the exact same gaming taste as I do? Haha. I haven't played that one myself yet but it's installed and ready for a spin some time! Little Orpheus is also definitely an Apple exclusive I'd like to check out.

Unfortunately, I'm now about two hours in and I've run into a gamebreaking bug. The crashes I mentioned earlier consistently happened with each loading screen to a new area, but this latest loading screen has got me crashing without fail. I can't imagine this is happening to everyone so I'm sure my iPad is part of the problem, but it's a shame since it's keeping me from progressing no matter what. Just as something really interesting was happening story-wise too! I tried to alert the developers about it and hopefully there will be an update soon that means I'll be able to continue, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. If I can't continue during the trial I probably won't play it until it ever comes to consoles or PC, if ever. Hopefully you don't experience same crash, Rudy!

Tjuz

Rudy_Manchego

@Tjuz Thanks - I'm just starting to get into it, I tend to do podcasts and stuff but just enjoying getting back into writing.

Mutazion is a wonderfully chill game - just a lovely story telling game with great characters. Very little gameplay apart from some fun mini game style things but it works really well on mobile as something you can pick up and play. Great soundtrack too.

One thing I have noticed with Apple Arcade is for launch games to release with bugs. Little Orpheus had a few though none game breaking. I wonder if there is deadline pressure or if it is just having to support so many different devices - bearing in mind it has to work on phones, Mac OS and Apple TV OS. That said as well, I played After Party at launch on XB1 and it was very very buggy and is the same studio. Dunno!

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

Vahla_Hanesh

Been playing through every Picross game that's available on the now discontinued DS. I really enjoy these games which I only really became aware of because of the DS. I'm thinking of getting a Switch Lite as a replacement for my handheld gaming. The only thing that puts me off is the price of the games.

Vahla_Hanesh

nessisonett

I’ve been playing Morrowind again, always heard talk of it having ‘better gameplay’ and I can understand why some would say that having not played the game in 20 years. I like the setting, the graphics have that Half Life/ Deus Ex boxy charm and the music’s good if repetitive. The problem is that it’s insanely inaccessible. Look, I love a good RPG with heaps of stats and stuff but a game pre-widespread Internet shouldn’t require the very helpful £20 Prima Games guide in order to grasp basic concepts. It just dumps you in with a dodgy journal, a strange levelling system and enemies that absolutely slaughter you. I’ll probably get used to it but there are so many strange outdated mechanics that it’ll take a while.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Ralizah

@nessisonett Nostalgia tends to put a rosy glow on things we loved when we were younger. You young whippersnappers will understand one day.

But seriously, I kinda want to play Daggerfall someday. Still blows my mind that one of the biggest open world games ever made came out in the mid 90s.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

nessisonett

@Ralizah Yeah, I’ve played Morrowind a bit over the years but always bounced right off it. Part of me likes some of the deep stuff that was later removed in Oblivion and Skyrim like the phrase based dialogue similar to FF II. I spent a whole day preparing to kill 2 rats and still died about 5 times. It’s brutal.

SirAngry

Actually got Sunset Overdrive out again after a discussion on here. It's not too bad actually. I think from looking at it the game could've done with another 12 months development.

SirAngry

JohnnyShoulder

@SirAngry Like 90% of games these days. Hopefully it gets remastered on PS5 and then maybe a sequel.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

SirAngry

@JohnnyShoulder ain't that the truth. Now if you can just tell that to the two companies I'm currently doing freelance work for I'd be really grateful. All joking aside, Sunset Overdrive feels like a nearly great game. Just needed a little more gestation to sort out the mission structure and a few generic elements that were bland and Insomniac could've had a classic on their hands. The movement and traversal were both brilliant, the controls were tight, the shooting was fun and satisfying and the set pieces and tone were unique and gratifying. Just wasn't polished enough. I'd happily take another more polished Sunset Overdrive.

SirAngry

nessisonett

So after 5 hours of gameplay in Morrowind, I am now level 2. This game is bizarre but the more shortcuts and idiosyncrasies I find, the more I’m enjoying it.

Kidfried

@nessisonett Morrowind is really something else, haha. The series has definitely gotten less strange in its sequels. Though Oblivion is still a pretty weird game.

Kidfried

JohnnyShoulder

@Kidfried Not sure if you played it but the DLC for Oblivion, Shivering Isles was pretty darn weird!

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Ralizah

Playing the Ys I + II collection on PC.

I think I expected the first game to feel more archaic than it does, so this is either a really good remake, or Ys I is wildly ahead of its time. I'd still prefer an actual combat system, but bump combat isn't nearly as annoying as I thought it'd be.

Edited on by Ralizah

nessisonett

@Ralizah Yeah, I played them last year and they felt more like an RPG Maker game from the early 00s than one of the grandaddies of RPGs. Really did enjoy them although one tip I’d give is that levelling is ludicrously important. Just one level can completely change how you approach certain enemies or make you do more than 0 damage. Also save every 5 seconds.

Ralizah

@nessisonett I'm going out of my way to overlevel, given how much less control I have over the flow of combat.

I'm playing on the 2001 graphical setting and really like the older style of character design present in the character portraits.

Edited on by Ralizah

nessisonett

Making some solid progress (I think) in Morrowind. I think I see the appeal now, it’s incredibly open and free. I’ve barely touched the main quest because the guy told me to go out into the world and earn some experience first. For now, I’ve been wandering around the first couple of areas, doing quests and exploring dungeons. Initially, the fatigue conservation annoyed me but it does add a bit of tactics and wariness to fighting. I do miss some QOL changes made in subsequent games but there’s so much freedom in Morrowind, from completely customisable spells to an open world free of loading screens unlike Skyrim’s cities.

Anti-Matter

Animal Crossing New Horizons ! 😀

Anti-Matter

TheFrenchiestFry

I'm still addicted to Persona 3 Portable don't mind me

12 hours in and I've so far climbed 30 Tartarus floors, I have my social link with Kenji at Rank 5, Kazushi and Yuko at Rank 6, Hidetoshi at Rank 4 and "Maya" on Innocent Sin Online at Rank 3

Edited on by TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

PSN: phantom_sees

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic