Forums

Topic: What (Non-PS4) game are you playing??

Posts 521 to 540 of 1,988

PSVR_lover

I am playing Little Misfortune on my iPad. Lovely little horror game, very similar to Fran Bow.

Edited on by PSVR_lover

The PSVR is the best VR system on the market today.

Anti-Matter

I think i will play Tomodachi Life 3DS before bedtime.

Anti-Matter

RogerRoger

Tagging @KratosMD as promised, as this morning I started Spider-Man (PSone).

Long story short, it's a blast. With a linear structure of short, snappy levels, it keeps up a cracking pace between rooftop swinging, corridor brawling and boss battling.

There's a nice variety of approach to some situations as well; early on, you're tasked with foiling a bank heist and you can either run around going toe-to-toe with the goons, or sneakily pick them off with your webs whilst crawling across the ceiling. It's definitely one of the better licenced games from the era (although, speaking of the year 2000, its third-person camera is about as intuitive as, er... well, about as intuitive as something that isn't very intuitive, but it's nothing that can't be fixed on the fly).

Don't think it's gonna be the longest game in existence; I've played about two hours, and reckon I'm over halfway through, but there are tons of unlockables that I know I've missed. Replaying levels on higher difficulties could be really fun, and there's quite a deep challenge-based Training Mode as well.

Graphics are top notch, made up of sharp, bright primary colours, and it runs great on my PS3 Super-Slim (was nervous about that, as I'd heard otherwise, so might be a regional thing). Music suits the late 90s comic book style, and even opens with a blast of the classic theme. Rino Romano delivers a cool Spidey voice, and the villains camp it up to a suitable degree, but the biggest bonus is Stan Lee, who narrates the opening of each story act as well as the game's biography collection.

Unless I come back later ranting that its final third was an appalling nightmare (which my Spidey-Sense tells me is unlikely) then I'd recommend a copy to both webheads and retro gamers alike.

Excelsior!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

@KratosMD Best of luck; happy to report that it ended well (although the final boss was a teensy bit frustrating, games from that time period often threw the near-impossible at you right before the credits rolled, so it kinda fits) and that its sequel, Spider-Man 2: Enter Electro, is equally brilliant.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

@KratosMD Pokemon Ranger Guardian Signs is one of the best games on DS imo. The first two are great but the third one is honestly incredible, with loads of depth and a great plot. It’s nice to see somebody enjoying these older spinoffs, they’re games that I feel have been forgotten a bit but they’re still an absolute blast to play!

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

mookysam

I fancied playing something nice and old so have been pottering about on my SNES Mini the past few days. Mainly focusing on Super Metroid, which is a teal treat because I haven't played it for over a decade. It's still incredible and plays very nicely indeed, especially with the SNES controller (the one in the mini is almost an exact replica of the original). The tense atmosphere and sense of isolation is brilliantly done with clever visual design and a wonderful score. Yesterday I had a bit of a hiccough. I went to make a restore point before tackling a tricky platforming section in Norfair and accidentally loaded a much earlier restore point I'd made before a boss fight (Kraid) - so lost a fair bit of progress. Loading an earlier restore point automatically overwrites the game's own save. 😂 I'm now quite far in so might have it finished over the next few days.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

Thrillho

@KratosMD Love the game but there are times where you have no idea what to do next. But I managed to avoid using guides at all and it was so rewarding to make the discoveries by yourself.

Thrillho

Thrillho

@KratosMD Ha, I never used him but you do run into him again.

Glad to hear you’re enjoying it though. I would say that if you’ve got all of the updates/DLC, the only time I used a guide was to find out how to start the Grimm Troupe add-on which is worth doing and has a particularly fiendish final boss.

Thrillho

Thrillho

@KratosMD And you realise there are loads of different endings too right?

Fair play if you get the super-duper-all-bells-and-whistles ending as the “true” ending was a step too far for me..

Thrillho

Thrillho

@KratosMD I’d also love to hear if you beat that part of the DLC as the final boss is a doozy.

Have you stumbled on the Path of Pain yet? That is also brutal but for completely different reasons!

Thrillho

nessisonett

I’ve been giving Silent Hill 1 another go because I found it just incredibly terrifying the first attempt. The 2nd one is one of my favourite games, if not the best game I’ve ever played but the 1st one is way scarier. I’m just in Otherworld Midwich Elementary and hyperventilating every time I hear the radio crackling. With any luck I’ll be out of this place soon, it’s causing me no end of pain.

nessisonett

@kyleforrester87 I’m playing on Vita with headphones in so that I can really punish myself. Just beat the school, went through Kim Gordon from Sonic Youth’s house (odd cameo) and now I’ve just reached the hospital. Going from a school straight to a hospital seems mean, they’re really hitting me with places I dread to go in horror games.

nessisonett

@KratosMD The Vita’s D-Pad is great, so I’m using that to move/run away from everything. The gameplay’s dated, sure, but I wouldn’t say it’s particularly bad compared to other games like RE1. I would say that the game’s moderately difficult though, I’m on the normal setting and the save points are just far enough apart that it creates loads of tension. The school in particular has a fairly basic structure but the different locked doors make it into a bit of a maze. The good thing is that the maps show where you are at any given time, as long as you’ve acquired them. I’d say it’s about as difficult as Resi 1 but the voice acting is a lot better.

nessisonett

@KratosMD I’ve mostly been running away from enemies but I’ve had enough bullets to deal with enemies so far. The good thing is that there’s no inventory management, you can carry as much as you want. I’d say it’s less fiddly than Resi 1 and I’d wholly recommend it even if I’m terrified.

nessisonett

@KratosMD You’re definitely onto something there, playing Resident Evil 7 on my laptop with the lights on while my family were in the room made it tolerable. Vastly different from my time with Silent Hill 1 so far, especially since I’ve had both headphones in instead of just the one while the TV’s on in the background. Some might say that takes the horror away but honestly, I love being able to actually finish a game!

Thrillho

@KratosMD For Hollow Knight, I’d recommend getting the ending with the “proper” boss fight at least. Finishing the pantheons to get the super duper ending was too much effort for me.

And Nightmare King Grimm is a great boss fight so I’d still encourage you to go for that. I’ve posted my successful fight against him before and it is one of my most memorable boss battles and one which is regarded as the best in the game.

Thrillho

nessisonett

@kyleforrester87 The fact it went from school to hospital is just plain cruel. That’s like two places you’d dread going to in horror games right after each other.

JohnnyShoulder

@nessisonett Well it is a horror game, it wouldn't be doing a very good job if it didn't make you feel uncomfortable like that.

I agree with you @KratosMD with sound. Sound design is a massive part of horror and you lose a lot of atmosphere if you have the sound turned off or at a low volume. It is why horror games are a much better experience when played with headphones.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic